The discovery thread!
May 27, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #103,336 of 106,853
Wait wait wait. How exactly am I supposed to rub my financial success in the face of my friends and acquaintances if I can’t blow obscene amounts of money on ridiculously over priced things??
Hey, at AliExpress you can find never before seen and probably heard of (literally) IEMs which are 95% off and now sell for for only 150 $
That's your entry ticket to the "Summit-Fi" High-End thread :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Its more that the BA is to metallic and harsh to me, if this is a factor of the drivers or tuning I'm not sure of.
I usually have no problem with treble, often more a problem with to much upper mids.

I do think it can be because of the upper air, as I can not listen to models that have to big peaks around 16-20k hz. Like the Symphonium Meteor or 64audio U4s, get fatuiged very fast then.

I wonder @ToneDeafMonk what happened to the (your) Project M curve with the silicone tip in the air region? That's a rather weird looking "peak" ?
Do you have an explanation, or is it simply the real tuning?

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #103,337 of 106,853
Ooooof!! That is a super gorgeous and super expensive cable!! @Dsnuts has also steered me in good directions in terms of cables, and the right synergy, so I've been there. Just ordered a few cables myself, that arrive today, but nothing like that Franco Columbu.
I guess talking to @Dsnuts can be even more expensive than the discovery thread :grin:🤣

May 27, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #103,338 of 106,853
I might just take the plunge on one of these dac dongles to use with my ipod touch? There are useless for my Sony's and my DX170, because the dang DAC disables the onboard EQ features when it's activated, so i'd haver to pick a dongle that I'm happy with the onboard sound signature. With the touch, it doesn't matter, because it doesn't disable anything.
+1 for the iBasso DC-Elite, probably one of the best dongles on the market, accidentally featuring a sound signature tailored to your very preferences:
I know, not the cheapest, but here applies "you buy cheap, you buy twice". It's a no-brainer when you're looking for a literal end-game dongle and call it a day for a very long time.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #103,339 of 106,853
I just need a spacious detailed iem with amazing bass and ESTs that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and doesn't use mmcx. Is that so hard to ask for? :sob:

May 27, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #103,340 of 106,853
I just need a spacious detailed iem with amazing bass and ESTs that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and doesn't use mmcx. Is that so hard to ask for? :sob:
Depends what price you look at, the Soundrhyme DTE900 was very spacious to me. Had a very wide projection for a IEM with also good depth, but again soundstage is very personal.
Its very resolving and have good bass, although the bass does goes into the low midrange.

Only downside for some, me also: being that the pina gain is quite aggressive, the big bass help some to counter balance it.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #103,341 of 106,853
634ears LOAK TX-02

It arrived, well worth the long wait. Sound impressions have to wait, but I really like what I hear.
Love his handwritten note, and the IEM is beutiful. Musashi is a true artisan :100:

I'm not jealous at all ... What a gorgeous thing 🥵 I'll wait for some more of your thoughts and start saving up. I need these.

1000000876.jpg1000000877.jpg

Just took out this long been ignored cheap TINHIFI P1 Max that I paid only for under $100. Switch to a better cable, and everything sounds so good to me, the deep reaching and impactful bass is way better than the recently hyped Pilgrim.
These look so elegant & upmarket and after my newfound love for TINHiFi's T5S which is basically their flagship DD I'm certainly reaching out to see if we can make something happen for their planar too.

Khm, you're a lucky fella, my AüR Ascension fits this description and is up for sale in the classifieds.

May 27, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #103,342 of 106,853
After my ZS10 pro 2 + CCA Trio + Aur Aure compare last night, I decided to spend the night listening to the KZ EDX Pro X. Then it hit me just how far the budget realm has come in 10-15 years. At $8.00 at some shops, and in one particular shop, it was 3 for $9.99!! 10 years ago, for the price of the KZ EDX Pro X, you'd end up with those abysmal Sentry earphones, the muddy JVC marshmallows, or the Skullcandy Ink'd with scooped mids. So I pulled out my Sennheiser CX300 ii, which for a time a decade ago were the best selling "budget" earphones of all time. I listened to them exclusively for 3 years. So after a morning of compare....the EDX Pro X smoked the Senneheiser's in almost every single facet except for bass slam and quality. It was mostly a tie, but once you left that aspect, it was a wash in favor of the ultra budget gear. The timbre was much more natural, with better quality treble and extension, and the mids were more clear and present, vs veiled and recessed. The stage was also wider and the imaging (spacing) more pronounced with the EDX Pro X. How far we've come!

KX EDX Pro X vs Sennheiser CX300ii.jpg

May 27, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #103,343 of 106,853
Just a story I remembered when reading your requirements (except the price).
Fatfreq Grand Maestro came into my mind... but then again, please this is no recommendation, just a thought, so don't kill me 🤷‍♂️because these are ridiculously expensive. But the Grand Maestro is one of a kind flagship basshead TOTL with an extremely good treble tuning... to bad it's out of reach for me, could try it only for few hours. In the end, I felt sad afterwards :smirk:. The most engaging IEM I've heard (with the blue module inserted).

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #103,344 of 106,853
hows that DUNU 112 EST?
NVM it used mmcx :frowning2:

May 27, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #103,345 of 106,853
May 27, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #103,346 of 106,853
Volare? There's also Penon's 10th. Or just wait for the KZ Death Star, but that will probably come with qdc lol.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #103,347 of 106,853
hows that DUNU 112 EST?
NVM it used mmcx :frowning2:
Exactly. I owned this one directly, and loved it, for all it's amazing qualities, but not two pin.

May 27, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #103,348 of 106,853
May 27, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #103,349 of 106,853
1000000876.jpg1000000877.jpg

Just took out this long been ignored cheap TINHIFI P1 Max that I paid only for under $100. Switch to a better cable, and everything sounds so good to me, the deep reaching and impactful bass is way better than the recently hyped Pilgrim.
I've always been a huge fan of the OG Pandas, such a fantastic set and very slept on by the community. These have some of the best vocal reproduction of any IEM under $500 imo. so much texture and resolution without sounding like a planar at all. I will say that I disagree on the bass part of your statement, but then again, we are in one of the most subjective hobbies in the world so, to each their own :beerchug:

May 27, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #103,350 of 106,853
Hey, at AliExpress you can find never before seen and probably heard of (literally) IEMs which are 95% off and now sell for for only 150 $
That's your entry ticket to the "Summit-Fi" High-End thread :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I wonder @ToneDeafMonk what happened to the (your) Project M curve with the silicone tip in the air region? That's a rather weird looking "peak" ?
Do you have an explanation, or is it simply the real tuning?
Hard to say the IEC711 doesn't do a great job over 8k but the Final E tips that project M includes will definitely cut down the precieved treble. I didn't use them and stuck with wide bore tips bieng over 50 has its advantages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back