The discovery thread!
Oct 8, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #33,858 of 103,258
Well... This is annoying. Yes, that's the dual-BA poking out thanks to the nozzle coming off.
29du7pz.jpg

I would just use some super glue and call it a day. That is unfortunate but I can understand why the nozzle might come off due to the tops of the nozzle having a sharper ridge. Complys are gonna grip that edge pretty hard me thinks. From the picture it looks like they forgot to add the glue on there. If it is not gonna affect the sound or positioning of the BAs I would just throw on a touch of glue and call it good. No sense is doing the return shuffle if you have to wait half a month to get another.

Hope these are not prone to QC issues but for the most part guys seem to be getting solid DM5s.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #33,859 of 103,258
I would just use some super glue and call it a day. That is unfortunate but I can understand why the nozzle might come off due to the tops of the nozzle having a sharper ridge. Complys are gonna grip that edge pretty hard me thinks. From the picture it looks like they forgot to add the glue on there. If it is not gonna affect the sound or positioning of the BAs I would just throw on a touch of glue and call it good. No sense is doing the return shuffle if you have to wait half a month to get another.

Hope these are not prone to QC issues but for the most part guys seem to be getting solid DM5s.

Yep. Already came to the same conclusion and glued it last night. It just looked like it wasn't glued in the first place and I'm guessing that's how they're held in place since I didn't see any threading or anything for locking them in place.

Oct 8, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #33,860 of 103,258
One thing I forgot to mention about my 2 hour stint at Can Jam Friday night. I got to hear the Fiio F9 at Fiios booth and the funny thing is I had my PX with me. I can definitely hear that treble spike that was reported on the thread about them. They have a nice clear sound to them but that treble spike makes them sound a bit cold sounding in the upper registers. It sounds like it is Fiios take on the reference tuning.

I actually preferred my PX phone over them. Sounds more natural for similar type tuning. I am glad I got to hear them as it kinda squashed me wanting to try a pair. They are certainly nice sounding iems for a $100 but they didn't necessarily make me want to ditch my PX or the DM5 for that matter.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #33,861 of 103,258
Oh yea and @peter123 ... I am just gonna say it. M3s. Sound quality is CRAZY. Go for it. Your gonna love it. I cant possibly see guys hating on the SQ of it. The player has got me rethinking just how much SQ you can get for less than $300 now a days. I am confident in saying as of now it has to be the best sounding player at this price.

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #33,862 of 103,258
Oh yea and @peter123 ... I am just gonna say it. M3s. Sound quality is CRAZY. Go for it. Your gonna love it. I cant possibly see guys hating on the SQ of it. The player has got me rethinking just how much SQ you can get for less than $300 now a days. I am confident in saying as of now it has to be the best sounding player at this price.

Thanks for the heads up mate! The thing is that I feel exactly the same (as in punching way above their price) about both the Aune M1s and Opus #1 so I'm going to wait for some comparisons and see if the M3s is different enough to those.

Both of them are very basic players but I'm a old (fashioned) guy and kind of like it. I've got the Shanling M1 with Hibylink, Bluetooth and all the other nice features but I honestly don't use them much (although I like the player for its size and sq for the price).

I'd guess a lot of comparisons will pop up within a week or two.......

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #33,863 of 103,258
OK, so I am loving this HE-400i, the level of detail retrieval, imaging, layering, sound stage is simply amazing. Even the bass is spot on. It not as deep as my Z7 but certainly hits as deep but only when its in the music. I listened to a track last night anf heard layers of bass I didn't even k ow existed in the track.

So is there any IEM that can match or at least come close to the 400i? Should I be looking at the RE400 or is there a better option? Maybe something like the new B400?

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #33,867 of 103,258
Haven't listened to them in a few days, but I really like them. (listening a lot to the UE900 for a review of the Effect Audio Eros II cable-maybe I'll try the cable with the DM5, odd combination price wise, but why not...?)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #33,868 of 103,258
DM5 does really well with nicer cables. You can definitely hear the sound changes from them. Probably due to the slight impedance changes from different cables more than anything but. Love me some pure copper wire on them DM5s.

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #33,869 of 103,258
(the Eros II cable sells for more than five times the DM5, not a paring that is likely to occur much in the real world, but, hey, just may give it a try. Have the DM5 hooked to my Pono right now with balanced Trinity cable)

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #33,870 of 103,258
These showed up today; Massdrop x Nuforce EDC

20171011_163743.jpg 20171011_163837.jpg
Out of the box with the stock tips in place, they're quite good. Much cooler and neutral-ish than I was expecting, especially in the low end. Similar to the Advanced M4 but with a slightly warmer sound and tighter, less splashy treble (foam tips fix that if you are okay using them). The EDC would be a good alternative if you found the M4 too sharp up top but liked their general presentation.

Not feeling the earlier hype, but then I've only put about 30 mins into them and the stock tips apparently aren't ideal. Take my thoughts with a grain of salt for now. They feel like they're worth the price, nothing more, nothing less. They seem like they'll be a good everyday iem, as the name suggests. Happy with the purchase so far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back