The discovery thread!
Apr 28, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #100,021 of 101,453
how little it costs.. ha well I've never spent anywhere close to 447$ on any audio product in my life [unless you count my Casio digital piano] the AS24 is the most expensive earbuds I've bought and they're great but could use a bit better bass [but NOT as much as the KZ Symphony]
paying almost 900$ and no tuning switches to reduce the bass lol. I think it's a GOOD thing KZ is making switches a more common thing.
I mean, you should try it out sometime. Sorry it doesn’t have the KZ name on it to convince you but, personally? not a single budget set in my collection matches the sonic quality of my 2 most expensive headphones, and I have tried a few sets from pretty much every budget tier up to 1k. ymmv but hey, that’s my view.

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #100,022 of 101,453
@OspreyAndy just posted a fun blind test between two DAC/amp

So far, Resolve has done the same on himself, and I think Zpolt has also done similar blind test (or maybe not, I can’t quite recall).

Kinda interesting how some commenters call Andy “Uncle Andy”. Cool uncle 😎

Edit: I remember watching some blind tests of IEMs. It’s usual the case that the kilobuck ones sound clearer and more detailed, but people prefer the cheaper ones with more cozy and easy sound. And most people faints after hearing the price tag of the kilobuck 😂

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #100,023 of 101,453
@OspreyAndy just posted a fun blind test between two DAC/amp

So far, Resolve has done the same on himself, and I think Zpolt has also done similar blind test (or maybe not, I can’t quite recall).

Kinda interesting how some commenters call Andy “Uncle Andy”. Cool uncle 😎

Edit: I remember watching some blind tests of IEMs. It’s usual the case that the kilobuck ones sound clearer and more detailed, but people prefer the cheaper ones with more cozy and easy sound. And most people faints after hearing the price tag of the kilobuck 😂

Already saw it! Nice idea posting it here. It was a really enjoyable video, and also very interesting. It really makes you think about how good the budget audio market offers have become in recent years. Additionally, I hope Andy will create a similar video format, but this time comparing the Desktop DAC/AMP with a higher-tier dongle, and perhaps using IEMs instead of full-fledged headphones.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #100,026 of 101,453
Do headphones that have the cable exiting only one ear cup need be completely re-wired from the inside to run balanced or can I just throw a balanced cable on there?
It depends how they are wired. But often they would need rewiring. If you state the brand and model, I'm pretty sure someone will be able to tell you for that headphone.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #100,028 of 101,453
Apr 28, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #100,029 of 101,453
how little it costs.. ha well I've never spent anywhere close to 447$ on any audio product in my life [unless you count my Casio digital piano] the AS24 is the most expensive earbuds I've bought and they're great but could use a bit better bass [but NOT as much as the KZ Symphony]
I keep elaborate and voluminous notes on intended audio purchases. Most of those "intended purchases" are well above my personal budget, so I just wait patiently until a sale, used unit, open box, or price drop comes around. I don't think I've ever paid full price for a single piece of audio gear (excepting small things like adapters). I even buy my cables and interconnects at a discount. This is also where my gaming purchases are a lot like my audio purchases. Never pay full price.

Like you, I've never spent more than about $500 on anything I own, yet I now own multiple pieces of gear that cost over $1k when they were brand new. This is also why the "diminishing returns" conversation doesn't hold up for me. Prices change, and sometimes change drastically.

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #100,030 of 101,453
Like you, I've never spent more than about $500 on anything I own, yet I now own multiple pieces of gear that cost over $1k when they were brand new. This is also why the "diminishing returns" conversation doesn't hold up for me. Prices change, and sometimes change drastically.

Some stores like MusicTeck has great deals if one does not want to deal with risks associating with the used market. I remember one time seeing an email from MusicTeck about "back to school" discount, like "cheap MEST II for good boys and girls."

More like cheap MEST II for their papas and mamas :beyersmile:

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #100,031 of 101,453
Some stores like MusicTeck has great deals if one does not want to deal with risks associating with the used market. I remember one time seeing an email from MusicTeck about "back to school" discount, like "cheap MEST II for good boys and girls."

More like cheap MEST II for their papas and mamas :beyersmile:
Ha. I was literally just browsing MusicTeck's open box sales (though admittedly I'm there pretty often, so maybe not so surprising).

Ooph. Those sale announcements are my audiophile catnip. Much more so than announcements about new or upcoming products. Give me a good sale, and my wallet just falls open.

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #100,033 of 101,453
Does the FiiO KA2 keep up in sound quality with the new dongles coming out for an affordable 4.4mm with low noise floor and lighting compatibility? I’m aware it’s power output is limited, not a concern.
if you don’t care that much, all of these dongles sound the same.

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #100,035 of 101,453
F4BA780A-74C1-419C-96E3-854F55CC57F7.jpeg

Simgot EA1000 landed today.

My impression can be summarised like this:

BAB8B3FB-EA24-4905-B744-328ADB6E8B4D.gif

This IEM is making my review of Project ACE more complicated.

Maybe it’s the passive driver or something else but the imaging of this IEM is quite interesting. As most Harman-ish, the center of the stage is quite focused and concentrate at a point in the head. The Hiby ACE sounds noticeably more spread out and grander in comparison, no doubt.

However, the outer layer of the stage is where EA1000 shines. It has that uncanny illusion with some track as if some sound comes from somewhere outside the head. It’s not in your face like some DSP, but it’s interesting when I notice it. Very reminiscent of the MEST III.

I have a deep fit and have the PR driver rest directly against the concha. The effect might be worse with worse fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back