The discovery thread!
May 14, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #101,447 of 103,509
Widest? Wah! I can hear the footsteps of the soundstage whore from Melbourne coming in...

Really dig that cable
Well, it starts with how the file was recorded. The 1A also does this synthetic thing with MrWalkman’s firmware, then a cable in 4.4mm which uses a different amplifier in the Walkman. And finally perception of a soundstage, which can partially be tone responsible for making it wider, then of course the ear-tips. So I’m into stages, especially big ones. But the Aurora is very much like an open back full-size headphone. It sounds open back and has 3 large vents on the side.

May 14, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #101,448 of 103,509
Nice review! Didn’t realise the N3 ultra was small, until I saw it here. Now I definitely want to pick it up. The b-rolls are on point, great camera work. Looks like you’re having fun with the A7C. https://amzn.in/d/1kL7Xn8
Indeed Bro!! Sony A7C II is fantastic, amazing colors, and since this is the first time i am using a full frame for myself, the bokeh makes me drool in every single shot. I wish to buy a macro lens some day.

May 14, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #101,450 of 103,509
Too early to say...I am waiting for HA-6A to come...
We Croats are too slow, especially southern like me. :wink:
then, I will process things more clearly...I am too excited right now. :ksc75smile:

Cheers, boss!! :heart:
Wow! Looks great.. Let those tubes glow in the night like fireflies!

Hope you two have a great time with it! Invite the greatest iem retailer in the world for a hot cuppa and music session!

May 14, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #101,451 of 103,509
CLASH OF GENERATIONS (I think it could be an anniversary...20 years apart)
Ibasso3 umanjeno.jpg

And it works...pretty well!!!

Cheers!

May 14, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #101,452 of 103,509
CLASH OF GENERATIONS (I think it could be an anniversary...20 years apart)
Ibasso3 umanjeno.jpg
And it works...pretty well!!!

Cheers!

So does that massive 15.4mm DD do anything better than the ea500lm or delci? I've been wanting to pick it up, but I was a bit put off when I saw TDM's review where he had to tape the vents to bring out the bass. It does work, but I find doing that usually causes driver flex.

May 14, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #101,453 of 103,509
They do stick out a bit, but I had them in my ears for 5 hours straight yesterday with zero hotspots. I also prefer the DD sound, not a fan of the planar sizzle. But it's like a DD with the speed, details, soundstage and imaging of a planar, with zero sibilance and no shortage in the bass department. Love that textured and high resolution bass.

I actually ordered it the first time without the wood case and cable at $64, so it only came with the small travel case and tips. My second order is the full package at $75, but it's still in transit so I don't know yet if the cable makes a difference. The cable I'm currently using is just the NiceHCK 16 core pure copper.

I stayed away from the TD19 because the one graph I found looks like this lol
1715633489421.png
Yeh, I've seen other comments on Tiandirenhe IEMs that have bad channel balance. That said, the lines follow pretty much the same line, only at different loudness. Too much dampening on the right channel? I'm not sure why that is so difficult to work out for them but it might be a smaller percentage than one thinks even though there have been several reports on it. I'm not sure I would be able to hear a channel difference of 2-3 dB.

May 14, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #101,454 of 103,509
TRN ST7

How do I feel about the ST7 ?
Admittedly, I only have about 15 hrs. of break in and I may be jumping the gun. But in my experience, if an IEM doesn't show some semblance of that visceral thump (that I crave) in the early stages, it's not going to magically appear. That being said, the ST7 is for the masses, that appreciate some low end, but lean more towards mids and upper frequencies.

The ST7 checks off more boxes, than the one or two (for my tastes) that it misses.
:ballot_box_with_check: Wide presentation
:ballot_box_with_check: Vocals are forward, but not in your face
:ballot_box_with_check: Bass has the everything, but the Chest Thump
:ballot_box_with_check: Upper treble well represented, without being fatiguing

:negative_squared_cross_mark: No Boom Boom. The sub bass doesn't go low enough, for Basshead recognition.
:negative_squared_cross_mark: Male vocals are missing some of their low end timbre

TRN ST7.jpg

I find the factory graph to be very accurate, to what I hear. Vocal forward, with an emphasis on the upper half of the frequency response range. But attention to the low end is not necessarily discarded.
1715690634326.png
Thanks for reminding me of this because I was about to get it... I have enough IEMs that are fairly lean on bass.. I was lured in by that chic white on gold look, but I think I will pass on it for now... am trying to get the Conchs in from Aliexpress, (yes, official TRN store) but the one order keeps being sent back to the store because of "shipping problems." I asked for a refund and reordered it so who knows...

May 14, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #101,455 of 103,509
Bought the EPZ K5 a bit less than a year ago. Wasn't impressed with it at the time. Tried to sell it, no takers, so it's just been sitting on a shelf collecting dust. I figured I might as well give it more of a chance if I can't get rid of it.

Been using it for the last couple days and I gotta say it's really growing on me. The main thing that's off putting about this IEM is that it inserts DEEP into the ear. It's very Etymotic-like in that regard. As a result it's very intimate and in your head. I personally prefer a wider sounding IEM but I'm making myself get over that for the sake of the K5.

Other than the intimate staging, it's actually quite a competent little IEM despite my initial impressions. It's very tonally correct, it has good timbre, macro detail is great, micro detail is acceptable, and it has good bass thump with great articulation. I'm really liking it and I'm glad I wasn't able to sell it.

I think I'll be doing a little shootout between the K5, ST7, D41, and Hydro. It'll be interesting to compare hybrids from different price points. Wish I had a Soundrhyme SR5 to compare to as well, considering that was sorta the main competition for the K5, but oh well.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #101,456 of 103,509
So does that massive 15.4mm DD do anything better than the ea500lm or delci? I've been wanting to pick it up, but I was a bit put off when I saw TDM's review where he had to tape the vents to bring out the bass. It does work, but I find doing that usually causes driver flex.
For a larger DD experience the Hiby Project Ace is a better option and is a noticeable step up in resolution and bass without mods over the iBasso

May 14, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #101,457 of 103,509
So...bad news.
I had an accident over the weekend and destroyed the right unit of my MEST Mk1.
It's completely demolished and cannot be repaired.
However, I am very lucky and was able to find a used set.
They are somewhat difficult to obtain these days so I feel fortunate to have been able to replace them.
But as this is now my preferred IEM, I had no choice but to get another pair.
I have bought a TON of mid-fi sets, but am definitely now of the mindset that it's better to have fewer sets and focus on quality over quantity (at least once you know what you prefer).
Anyways, this was my weekend and thought I'd share my experience with all the homies...
Man, I know I am so far behind on this thread but I was scrolling through the pages trying to catch up and I knew I needed to reply to this one. I am so sorry for that, brother, that absolutely sucks. I can only imagine if something like that were to happen to my Monarchs.... I would cry lol

I am glad you found such a quick and relatively affordable solution though!

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #101,458 of 103,509
For a larger DD experience the Hiby Project Ace is a better option and is a noticeable step up in resolution and bass without mods over the iBasso
What are the mods for 3T-154?? I recently got one

May 14, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #101,459 of 103,509
I don't know if it's better than Delci or EA500LM; I've never had them.
I had a brief listening session with Ibasso with DAP and discman, and what I can say is that it's good!
It's really good. Nothing bothers me. When I listen to it again and more, then I can say a few words more.
It's warmer sounding (kind of), and I think those treble sensitive would be good with it (maybe :) ).
HIDIZS 145 is very popular, and I think Ibasso is there...perhaps a bit meatier but also with less clarity...
Also, I got them new for $100, so there's nothing to complain about! :)

Ah, this too,...they are extremely light!!!

Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back