The discovery thread!
May 14, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #101,416 of 103,648
My excitement for them is growing bigtime, enjoying one minDblowing budget set is enough already - but potentially two is ??.....in all honesty next level !!
The budget arena has me very excited. More so that my spending $250 or whatever it was on the OD200 or $150 for the Wu Zetian or $225 for the Shangs. Now, it wasn't quite as exciting as the $440 I spent on the Aures and waiting for them to arrive, or $600 for the IE600, but darnit, it's getting pretty close!! LOL For $30.00 gear!

May 14, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #101,417 of 103,648
@Jaytiss has me super psyched for the Hydro, the mini "Death Star"? lol The wait will be long though, because with my gift card and Ali coupons, I got it for $61.00. Amazon has faster delivery, but it's $150 and no Ali coupons!

May 14, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #101,418 of 103,648
There has to be a good story behind this emoji, it smells of ancient Head-Fi history: :deadhorse:
If my memory serves me right, there used to be a lively debate on head-fi about whether the Sennheiser HD650 had a veiled sound. Some people agreed, while others disagreed, making it a frequently discussed topic. At one point, a member even created an emoji for it, depicting a horse with HD650 headphones and a veil over its face, representing the idea of beating a dead horse, or in this case, beating a veiled Sennheiser horse. It's funny how time flies; I feel a bit old now haha. Thanks for bringing back those memories!

May 14, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #101,419 of 103,648
If my memory serves me right, there used to be a lively debate on head-fi about whether the Sennheiser HD650 had a veiled sound. Some people agreed, while others disagreed, making it a frequently discussed topic. At one point, a member even created an emoji for it, depicting a horse with HD650 headphones and a veil over its face, representing the idea of beating a dead horse, or in this case, beating a veiled Sennheiser horse. It's funny how time flies; I feel a bit old now haha. Thanks for bringing back those memories!
Haha thanks for the thorough explanation, I thought it was just a grainy emoji, didn't realize there was a literal wedding (?) veil of someone enjoying their headphones :L3000:

May 14, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #101,420 of 103,648
I've almost convinced myself to skip the Pilgrim and go straight to the Volare lol. But I'm pretty sure as soon as I hit the pay now button, KZ/CCA will suddenly release a 2DD/4BA/4EST pokemon with 8 tuning switches for under $200... probably call it the Death Star.
I’m buying that at retail if they can do a competent job

May 14, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #101,421 of 103,648
I loved BA sound from the very first listening - nice and simple with 1More Triple that I still use and enjoy as a real "beater". Then KZ AS10 was so wow that I can tell a lot of stories. BAs sound is nice and engaging to my ears for music enjoyment. Somehow I never felt that DD sound is "natural". I isten to strings a lot, and even most rampant "steely" BAs work reasonably with most of my favourite recordings.
Recently, AS24 gave me everything (perfect switches for me from too bassy to too lean and I just love its plain rendering). I got two copies (for me and KZ support) and just thought to explore a bit hybrids after.
ZAT gave most for me (though in most bass lean settings). I love Plutus (bass), Phoenixcall (subtle balance), 1 More Penta (treble layering) for their great flavours; Moondrop May for one of the best perceived values, while not Simgot E6ML- $100, really (??); ears are surely different, and I buy all my IEMs, no Linsoul samples).

On another note, I jusy ordered beautiful Relentless at $150

(Kinera store offered more discounts; I hope $150 is a good price for both of us for their beautiful art and sound - so mellowed me here:))

AUDIOSENSE T800
Nope. Very few rise from the ashes. GK10, VS3, and NX7 tried recently, and pitted against the ST7, went quietly back in the box. Every so often we re-discover a lost gem, but mostly they fell in the pits for a reason.
My proposed "Phoenix Nights" > "Phoenix Lights" sets are: ApeSonic Rain....and you guessed it: Mofasest Trio (the Original T.) They just about manage to prize open the coughin' lid & breathe in some "Air"....the "Stage" is now set as to whether they make an occasional rotational appearance??....haha !!

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #101,423 of 103,648
I loved BA sound from the very first listening - nice and simple with 1More Triple that I still use and enjoy as a real "beater". Then KZ AS10 was so wow that I can tell a lot of stories. BAs sound is nice and engaging to my ears for music enjoyment. Somehow I never felt that DD sound is "natural". I isten to strings a lot, and even most rampant "steely" BAs work reasonably with most of my favourite recordings.
Recently, AS24 gave me everything (perfect switches for me from too bassy to too lean and I just love its plain rendering). I got two copies (for me and KZ support) and just thought to explore a bit hybrids after.
ZAT gave most for me (though in most bass lean settings). I love Plutus (bass), Phoenixcall (subtle balance), 1 More Penta (treble layering) for their great flavours; Moondrop May for one of the best perceived values, while not Simgot E6ML- $100, really (??); ears are surely different, and I buy all my IEMs, no Linsoul samples).

On another note, I jusy ordered beautiful Relentless at $150

(Kinera store offered more discounts; I hope $150 is a good price for both of us for their beautiful art and sound - so mellowed me here:))

Ah interesting. I haven't heard all BAs only to know it's sound, only in hybrids.

@baskingshark and @Jaytiss I remember had v good impressions on the celest relentless.. Going by your impressions too, sounds like a winner.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #101,424 of 103,648
Just got on the train. Ordered the ST7 for £22 on Ali X. Can't wait to pit it against the Trio.

May 14, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #101,425 of 103,648
@FreeWheelinAudioLuv2,

Seriously,

What is the point of your post? Have you heard both, and done systematic side-by-side tests or are you......................well never-mind. I only recommend IEMs that I have actually heard in person. Since 2008 I may have recommended one IEM I haven't heard. Cheers :)

Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 4.12.26 PM.png

May 14, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #101,429 of 103,648
The shape of the red ones almost resembles the Dunu S&S
I have those too, no not even the same shape.......not at all. In my experience the 7Hz tips are wildly unique, maybe 9% like the S&S. The 7Hz becomes way bigger in size too, like way way bigger. They sound different too.

May 14, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #101,430 of 103,648
i was browsing reddit audio and someone posting question about buying EDX-ProX
in the comment someone mention,

I have the EDX Pro X as my edc and honestly for the price they are great, similar tuning to the Simgot EA500LM where they more or less tried to go as close as they could to the Harman target while using a single DD.
and i saw the graph,

1715681893142.png

well, different driver and all but if you want to try EA500LM FR for sub $10...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back