The discovery thread!
Apr 28, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #99,991 of 101,333
I translated (myself) the review of the TRN ST7 that Snow Yurufuwa Audio posted on X some hours ago. Here's the link for reference (he also posted a video and some other images if you want to check, in this post I will just integrate the FR graph he provided for the ST7 and the Conch):
https://twitter.com/snow_el/status/1784507768281682296

🔶 TRN ST7 First Impression
Despite having a large number of 2DD+5BA drivers, the TRN ST7 exhibits a cohesive sound similar to the BA15. I would say its sound profile doesn’t quite align with the classic TRN tuning.

🔶 Non-Sound Related Observations (not-definitive):

Includes the same accessories as the TRN Orca.
- Comes with 3 ear tips (S, M, L) and 1 pair of T-Tips (M).
- I purchased the white version, and while the stamp is a bit harsh, the resin structure is solid and well-built.
- The main body weighs a typical 10g and is slightly tall and large. The ear wings have an aggressive angle, which initially concerned me, but they fit perfectly in my ears due to the thinness of the case. The fit is wonderful
- The stem size ranges from a minimum of 5.0mm to a maximum of 5.7mm.
- Features the same low-price line cable as the TRN Orca.
- Includes a user manual.
Overall, the accessories and build quality are consistent with other similarly priced IEMs.

🔶 Sound: (not definitive)
FIIO M17, standard cable 4.4mm + JVC SpiralDot++

- Sound Profile: slight W-shaped balance
- Timbre B+ (not definitive)

Cold/Warm: Cold |ーーーー★ーーーー| Warm
Brightness: Bright |ーーーー★ーーーー| Dark
Reverberation: Less |ーーー★+ーーーー| More
Trailing note: Less |ーーーー+★ーーー| More
Dry/Wet: Dry  |ーーーー+★ーーー| Wet
Note Weight: Thin |ーーーー+ー★ーー| Thick
Speed: Slow |ーーーー+★ーーー| Fast
Sense of realism: Artificial |ーーーー+★ーーー| Real
Monitor/Listening: Monitor |ーーーー+ーー★ー| Listening

Sound Stage B (non-definitive)
Left and right: Narrow |ーー★+ーーー|Wide
Top and bottom: Narrow |ーーー+★ーー|Wide
Front and rear: Narrow |ーーー+ー★ーー| Wide

Resolution: A (non-definitive)
Imaging, separation: A (non-definitive)
Bass: B (non-definitive)
Mid-Range: A+ (non-definitive)
Treble: B+ (non-definitive)

For now, I listened to it with my usual configuration (L gain Vol 45), and in a good way it’s neutral sounding like the BA15, not the classic sound you expect from TRN. It has a thick tone, a somewhat intimate soundstage, and a perceived ‘low’ resolution (note: the resolution itself is high, but its soft tone makes it sound more relaxed, very pleasant indeed). The bass is gentle, and the attack is pleasing, there are not much reverb, and the texture is good. I like the fact that the midrange brings out the main melody and the vocals, as for the treble, it is quite beautiful for this price range.

Personally, I rate this IEM quite highly. However, those who were expecting deep and sharp bass, a cool tone, and a high-resolution-oriented set (typical of similar Chinese multi-driver IEMs) might be disappointed.

🔶Cable PR Yongse Warrior (3100 yen= about 20 dollar).
AliExpress Coupon: I36X2R5YVPRH
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_o2blS4E

I recently received Yongse’s new cable, so I tried it with the ST7. I feel that the density of the overall tone has increased. The center stage is firmer, and the sound feels more real. Additionally, it gained more impact, resolution, and the soundstage expanded laterally. You can truly appreciate the benefits of the multiple drivers here. I also have the impression that the timbre is more accurate in the low and high frequencies. Overall, it’s easy to feel the advantages of re-cabling with this class of IEMs, and I believe this pairing completely nullified the caveats I had with ST7 when it was paired with its stock cable.

🔶Summary
TRN attempted to disrupt the market with a $30 IEM featuring 2 dynamic drivers (DD) and 5 balanced armature (BA) drivers. Interestingly, I compared it to the multi-driver flagship VX Pro (2022 version), and while the tonal trends differ, the overall impression is that the ST7 is a little inferior. Additionally, the sound signature significantly differs from the ST5, which is the previous model (and oddly enough, it’s priced lower lol). As for the Conch, it is also in the same price range of the ST7 and it boasts a cool, hard-hitting sound thanks to its DLC driver, and here too the tuning is quite different. By the way, I experimented with using Conch’s standard RedChain cable with the ST7, and the result was a widened soundstage and an overall more enjoyable listening experience. If you’re someone who owns the Conch or the Orca and seeks a different sound profile, this IEM could be a great option.

Conch vs ST7.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #99,992 of 101,333
Apr 28, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #99,993 of 101,333
Pioneers get the arrows, settlers get the land

I still marvel (that as a collective) we put up with this carp :poop: . No other hobby comes to (my) mind, where beta releases (as retail offerings) are accepted/expected.
Video games, especially with nearly universal online gaming. Publishers and developers are releasing more and more games that are borderline unfinished and then fixing them with post-release patches.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #99,994 of 101,333
I had been looking for a full ba iem for a long time with a reasonable cost but with remarkable performance and thanks @ToneDeafMonk I found it.
The Myer Audio SLIIVO SL-T6 is a masterpiece of truly excellent tuning and technicality and for how it sounds it costs very little. Great!!!

Sliivoslt6.jpg

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #99,995 of 101,333
I had been looking for a full ba iem for a long time with a reasonable cost but with remarkable performance and thanks @ToneDeafMonk I found it.
The Myer Audio SLIIVO SL-T6 is a masterpiece of truly excellent tuning and technicality and for how it sounds it costs very little. Great!!!

Sliivoslt6.jpg
Nice glad you love it as much as I do!

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #99,996 of 101,333
🤣🤣🤣

It’s a special IEM for sure, one to at least demo. Would like to put my own review there, but trying to get a few under my belt so I can give it the justice with my words.

Deep bass, lush mids, a large soundstage and vocals to die for, if you are here for the music it will be a great companion.
I've got a list of IEMs (and HPs, but that's irrelevant here) I'd like to demo (and potentially purchase), and Sza is now the third Oriolus on that rather short list.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #99,997 of 101,333

Sliivoslt6.jpg
Comparison with the pula tonality wise? Because I asume that its an improvement overall sound techs

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #99,998 of 101,333
I've got a list of IEMs (and HPs, but that's irrelevant here) I'd like to demo (and potentially purchase), and Sza is now the third Oriolus on that rather short list.
they seem to have the special sauce when tuning their drivers for real. Always get the most out of their configs, and they are all quite different from each other.

Would love for them to make another set in this price tier, especially since they just released the Ti.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #99,999 of 101,333
Upon looking at the frequency graph of Volare, it reminds me of ER4XR and upon comparing it against ER4XR's graph, surprise surprise, the mid section is a 95% match. I have been looking for an upgrade for ER4XR, mainly for more bass and details while keeping the perfect mid (for my own preference), and this looks like my answer. I was considering the Evo but was wondering if the 'upgrade' was justifiable because the treble region still remains the same while the bass' has more presence. So many exciting IEMs nowadays, will compare with the FA19 when the demo is available in local audio shop (around mid-May), since our beloved Jude gave it a very high praise, and if the price difference is justifiable, before making any purchase decision.Screenshot 2024-04-29 002853.png

I agree, based on the graphs alone, the Volare is a win for a warmish, bassy neutral set, with very little competition in the same tuning vein at that price. Maybe the Xenns Top, but the price difference is probably not justified.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #100,000 of 101,333
Comparison with the pula tonality wise? Because I asume that its an improvement overall sound techs
The PULA has a denser and fuller sound but is much less extreme in performance as well as in the demands it makes on you (right tips/correct position in the ear canal/high level source/high level recording). Then there is the SLIIVO SL-41 which represents a middle ground between this and the PULA, more technical and refined than the PULA but still not as demanding as this. Then there is the SL-T6 with a definition that beats both but is more demanding and less permissive for what I wrote above. From a timbral and tone correctness point of view, all three are an absolute reference even when compared with the IEMs that I own and which cost several times their price. That said, if you want to have a bit of everything, with just over 600 euros in the Myer Audio store on Aliexpress (taking advantage of the discount code) you can take home all three: CKLVX D41 (Pula PA02), SLIIVO SL-41 and SLIIVO SL-T6. I liked them so much that I got the CKLVX D41 and the SLIIVO SL-41 in double copies. lol

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #100,001 of 101,333
The PULA has a denser and fuller sound but is much less extreme in performance as well as in the demands it makes on you (right tips/correct position in the ear canal/high level source/high level recording). Then there is the SLIIVO SL-41 which represents a middle ground between this and the PULA, more technical and refined than the PULA but still not as demanding as this. Then there is the SL-T6 with a definition that beats both but is more demanding and less permissive for what I wrote above. From a timbral and tone correctness point of view, all three are an absolute reference even when compared with the IEMs that I own and which cost several times their price. That said, if you want to have a bit of everything, with just over 600 euros in the Myer Audio store on Aliexpress (taking advantage of the discount code) you can take home all three: CKLVX D41 (Pula PA02), SLIIVO SL-41 and SLIIVO SL-T6. I liked them so much that I got the CKLVX D41 and the SLIIVO SL-41 in double copies. lol
Interesting because I find the pulas that are almost perfect tonality, then the slt6 its same but an improvement in all aspects

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #100,002 of 101,333
Old phone + a battery bank + a dongle + the USB splitter cable of iBasso to power the dongle from battery could be nice. Though it wouldn’t be a phone.

Seriously, just use TWS with phone when going out and about, and pack a dongle and a good IEM in a nice case as EDC for when you can sit down, that would be more than adequate.

Is it just me or the recent back and forth back and forth on the forum about “diminishing returns” is getting long in the tooth. To me, return is return. Just because it’s no longer cost effective does not diminish its value for those who wants it. I can’t possibly afford the likes of Anni, Dio, 662B, STORM, etc. but god knows if I make that much disposable income like some members here, I’ll buy everything. And when I have those, if those ridiculously overpriced cables can trick me into hearing a bit extra fairy dusts, I’ll buy them too.

Diminishing returns kick in right at the price point where the original KZ ZSN Pro X exist. Just take a pair of random gas station buds at the same price (A$40 ish) and compare it with those KZ. The KZ wipes and mops the floor with those gas station buds.

Unrelated, but I remember a fellow online asking me for advice to buy IEM a long long time ago. They settled for Tanchjim OLA (anyone remember that one?). It took quite a while for them to save up, but one day I saw their message with a photo of the tanchjim, lovingly packed in an aftermarket case along with an after market cable and apple dongle. I can’t quite explain but that photo warms my heart, and how I expect “personal audio” to be. Perhaps that’s a lesson I should remember as I mindlessly browse through musicteck website and silently cursing my empty toy account.

Consumption consumption consumption. The dark side of our “hobby”
It's not long in the tooth, except for those trying to internally JUSTIFY spending 1K+ on IEMs to perceive some magic fairy dust sound that more than likely does NOT exist, except in the ears of the spender, but like you said, if you got the cash to blow through, then by all means....SPEND THAT CASH!! If I could afford a Ferrari I'm likely to buy one. If I can afford the Anni, I'm likely to buy one, just to say I have one. Now if it's perception of sound blows me away as well, then it's icing, but talking about price to performance and diminishing returns never gets old, because most people don't have the green dripping out of their bank account, so in the subjective world of audio, that's "priceless" info.

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #100,003 of 101,333
So I did look into this @warrenpchi , if only out of curiosity. Considering I own most of the best multi DD sets, like Trifecta, Monachaa, and Quattro, why not spend an additional $40 to hear what all the CCA Trio (3xDD) hoohaa was all about.

This was absolutely the lowest priced iem purchased in my life. And having spent a LOT on some, I had zero expectations. And maybe that's the trick, but I don't think so.

I would not say that the $40 Trio is "better" than any of these other DD sets. It's not. But it's ridiculously good, nevertheless. Putting a decent cable on it and giving it some decent power (not to mention 100 hrs of burn in) allows it to stand tall with its other multi DD brethren.

Truly impressed by what CCA/KZ have done here. This little baby could become the perfect gym iem.
I agree with you. It stands tall against anything I own, and I find myself reaching for it more often than anything I got. Is it the best? As you said...nope. But for it's fit and versatility, as well as technical chops, I love it.

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #100,004 of 101,333
Well said. I went above my budget tier for the Sza, and that IEM really does make most of my others “irrelevant”.

I’ll always be curious and pick up lower budget stuff that I think looks neat, but lesson learned when shopping for my main new set. Move up the tiers, don’t get stuck in one expecting “big enough” upgrades every time.
What is the SZA and where did you get it? Please

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #100,005 of 101,333
Is it just me or the recent back and forth back and forth on the forum about “diminishing returns” is getting long in the tooth. To me, return is return. Just because it’s no longer cost effective does not diminish its value for those who wants it. I can’t possibly afford the likes of Anni, Dio, 662B, STORM, etc. but god knows if I make that much disposable income like some members here, I’ll buy everything. And when I have those, if those ridiculously overpriced cables can trick me into hearing a bit extra fairy dusts, I’ll buy them too.
You spoke my heart here bro. I also believe returns are returns. As long as we are getting better sound, in one way or the other haha. Now i want 622B, looks like need to search for banks in my area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back