The discovery thread!
Apr 29, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #100,051 of 101,712
Man you have so many KZ IEMs that your signature on HeadFi has a separate point for KZ IEMs and Earbuds haha.
Well most of them are older, and I'm giving them away to my friends. Only probably keeping the AS24, EDX, ZS6, and the ZS10 pro 2 which should arrive this week. I must confess I have bene reluctant to open the doors to other brands because it seems like a slippery slope of discovery! $$$

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #100,052 of 101,712

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #100,053 of 101,712
image.jpg

Planned to finish reviewing the ACE but ended up listening and compulsively wrote down impressions of the EA1000 instead. Most of its aspects are alright and the DD being used here is quite good, but that stage is what this set interesting. It’s like there is another set of speakers outside the ear canals slightly echo the midrange notes. It’s subtle, kinda like the subtle effect of the vibrating plates (aka “bone conduction driver”) in MEST III.

Isolation is quite poor though. In louder environments, the lower mid is masked so I need to turn up the volume, and the shoutiness was unbearable with female vocal tracks.

Bass is kinda dry, but clean, hits deep, and quite textured.

I’ll keep burning in this set (aka listening every day)

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #100,054 of 101,712
image.jpg

Planned to finish reviewing the ACE but ended up listening and compulsively wrote down impressions of the EA1000 instead. Most of its aspects are alright and the DD being used here is quite good, but that stage is what this set interesting. It’s like there is another set of speakers outside the ear canals slightly echo the midrange notes. It’s subtle, kinda like the subtle effect of the vibrating plates (aka “bone conduction driver”) in MEST III.

Isolation is quite poor though. In louder environments, the lower mid is masked so I need to turn up the volume, and the shoutiness was unbearable with female vocal tracks.

Bass is kinda dry, but clean, hits deep, and quite textured.

I’ll keep burning in this set (aka listening every day)
Such a soundstage whore you are. Willing to compromise elsewhere just for that!

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #100,055 of 101,712
Man you have so many KZ IEMs that your signature on HeadFi has a separate point for KZ IEMs and Earbuds haha.
I will also say that I'm a big fan of KZ because back in the early 20teens I had a pair of Bose Soundsport wired earbuds and Klipsch r6i and I thought I was into quality audio, but when I first got my ancient KZ RX for super cheap, I could not believe how good they sounded for the price. I preferred them over the main brand models. I sold those, and started buying KZs and the ZS6 were the pinnacle for a long time for me.

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #100,056 of 101,712
Not the biggest fan of this colouring scheme (at least on pics), but a stunner nonetheless. With money to burn this would be a no questions asked purchase.
Oh yes, this is the most basic design. There are far more awesome color schemes for these IEMs. There are some pictures in the dedicated thread: here

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #100,057 of 101,712
Such a soundstage whore you are. Willing to compromise elsewhere just for that!
Me too, get me a stage and many of the mediocre attributes can be subtly ignored. :)

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #100,058 of 101,712
The Elysian Pilgrim is a hybrid which contains 1 x Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR) DD and 3 x Sonion BAs.

Pilgrim 2.jpg

Do take note this is the original Pilgrim, not the Noir Pilgrim version, which is more basshead (with some loss in resolution). The Noir variant is also pricier but comes with some kilobuck cable in the packaging.

So this OG Pilgrim is very light-weight and comfortable, shells are fashioned from stainless steel.

The OG Pilgrim has a U-shaped tonality, and is very clean sounding. Superb technicalities, expansive stage and solid layering. Fast, punchy and tight bass with a transparent midrange and resolving treble. Nimble transients with smooth upper mids.

Elysian Pilgrim.jpg
8 kHz is a coupler artefact peak.

There's a whiff of BA timbre but not the biggest offender in this department. It also uses a Pentacon cable connector, which does limit aftermarket cable pairing.

Looks very nice, the only thing I dislike is the emphasis on nasality but that might be part of the Elysian house sound, so it is what it is.

Otherwise, the Pilgrim has a thicker lower midrange than the measurebator's gold-standard Moondrop Variations (Pilgrim doesn't sound so anemic there), with less upper mids glare than the Variations. The Pilgrim also has better staging and micro-details than the Variations.

Crinacle? And beloved by him? Or?

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #100,059 of 101,712
Indeed, very nice to hear about the Quintet again, I have not tried it yet smh, but this review rekindled that year-old wish.
Eh the Quintet is ok. I had one for awhile but the treble irritated me a bit over time. I think it's still good but maybe overpriced in today's market. Simgots offerings are lower priced and do much the same thing imo.
The Elysian Pilgrim is a hybrid which contains 1 x Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR) DD and 3 x Sonion BAs.

Do take note this is the original Pilgrim, not the Noir Pilgrim version, which is more basshead (with some loss in resolution). The Noir variant is also pricier but comes with some kilobuck cable in the packaging.

So this OG Pilgrim is very light-weight and comfortable, shells are fashioned from stainless steel.

The OG Pilgrim has a U-shaped tonality, and is very clean sounding. Superb technicalities, expansive stage and solid layering. Fast, punchy and tight bass with a transparent midrange and resolving treble. Nimble transients with smooth upper mids.

8 kHz is a coupler artefact peak.

There's a whiff of BA timbre but not the biggest offender in this department. It also uses a Pentacon cable connector, which does limit aftermarket cable pairing.

Otherwise, the Pilgrim has a thicker lower midrange than the measurebator's gold-standard Moondrop Variations (Pilgrim doesn't sound so anemic there), with less upper mids glare than the Variations. The Pilgrim also has better staging and micro-details than the Variations.

This is a solid IEM from OOTB listening. Will do more A/B testing and burn-in and report back.
Looking forward to more impressions. Any chance you can show the cable that they come with?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #100,060 of 101,712

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #100,061 of 101,712
Looking forward to more impressions. Any chance you can show the cable that they come with?

Here's the OG Pilgrim's cable. Comes in 4.4mm or 3.5mm.

Pilgrim 3.jpeg

Once again, this is for the OG Pilgrim. The Noir variant comes with some expensive kilobuck Effect Audio cable.

Looks very nice, the only thing I dislike is the emphasis on nasality but that might be part of the Elysian house sound, so it is what it is.

Crinacle? And beloved by him? Or?

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the Elysian Gaea for example, found the upper mids area fatiguing. The Pilgrim's upper midrange is quite sedate though, much less shouty than the Gaea's.

Speaking about the Moondrop Variations, yeah it is upheld as the Harman measurebator's gold standard. You can see on social media and forums that some nihilistic devoted followers regard it as perfect in every way, and these folk can magically use graphs to tell 100% of the story, including timbre and technicalities. A certain reviewer even EQs his Variations to the target graph of other IEMs to review those IEMs (without hearing the actual IEM!).

These folk can get multiple eargasms daily from looking at graphs without any IEMs inside the ears. The highest level of audio nirvana.

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #100,062 of 101,712
A certain reviewer even EQs his Variations to the target graph of other IEMs to review those IEMs (without hearing the actual IEM!).

These folk can get multiple eargasms daily from looking at graphs without any IEMs inside the ears. The highest level of audio nirvana.

Whaat da faaak! That's a dry hump of epic proportions!

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #100,063 of 101,712

No. There's a whole 'nother level, bro

Reading Music.jpg

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #100,064 of 101,712
Apr 29, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #100,065 of 101,712
Oh yes, this is the most basic design. There are far more awesome color schemes for these IEMs. There are some pictures in the dedicated thread: here
That linked thread... Haha..a perfect example of feverish audiophile rabbithole.. How everyone sinks in as the hype keeps escalating was quite amusing to read..

Not amusing in sense of laughing at responders there, as we all do with different products repeatedly, but amusing to observe fomo and addictive quality of this hobby.
Hotel California only, this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back