The discovery thread!
Aug 8, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #43,291 of 101,013
I am thinking it has to do with that piezoelectric tweeter picking up signal for some reason. Danny Bai had the same issue. Unfortunately the NX7 is not gonna work on phones so much due to that issue.
I'm not having any problems using it with my phone at all (Samsung S8+) along with my Fiio Q1MK2 dac/amp. I just turn off Wifi and data and no more noise. It's as quiet as any other iem I own.

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #43,293 of 101,013
Try turning off your Wifi/data and bluetooth settings. It cuts down on the noise considerably. If you use streaming apps like Tidal or Spotify Premium, you can download your music to your app, so you won't have to connect to the internet at all. No hiss or crackling that I can hear. Then again, I use an android phone. But I did experience what you are referring to, and when I turned off all the wireless stuff, and just listened to downloaded music, no more noise problems.

I dont think wifi or BT is the cause. It probably is the lightning to 3.5mm dongle that is the culprit because there are no problems at all when i am using the 3.5mm port of my iPad.

It is not just noise like hiss and a bit of crackle. It really becomes unlistenable. Like thing is gonna explode very soon :)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #43,294 of 101,013
I dont think wifi or BT is the cause. It probably is the lightning to 3.5mm dongle that is the culprit because there are no problems at all when i am using the 3.5mm port of my iPad.

It is not just noise like hiss and a bit of crackle. It really becomes unlistenable. Like thing is gonna explode very soon :)

Mines exhibits the same hissing and crackling sound on a few of my cables. Both on single ended or balanced cables. I first noticed it only when used the TRN BT20S Bluetooth adapters but only on the left channel. Then as I started listening to the NX7 on my various sources, I started noticing certain cables consistently had the crackling sound no mater what the source was. So I suspect it's the quality of the cable that's the cause of the issue. Problem is those same cables with the crackling on the NX7 sounds perfectly fine with my many other iems.

I wrote about this issue on AliExpress and Jim was quick to respond to me and even offered a replacement (great customer service). I choosed not to as I could still enjoy the NX7 with other cable pairings that didn't have the crackling sound. So far the best cable pairing I found with the NX7 is my copper litz cable from Impact Audio (Etsy). To my ears, it tamed the brightness a bit while bringing out more bass. It has since been my daily driver ... which was my beloved Oriolus Reborn. NX7 has less bass quantity but I'm addicted to the details and resolution in the upper registers.

Aug 9, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #43,295 of 101,013
Mines exhibits the same hissing and crackling sound on a few of my cables. Both on single ended or balanced cables. I first noticed it only when used the TRN BT20S Bluetooth adapters but only on the left channel. Then as I started listening to the NX7 on my various sources, I started noticing certain cables consistently had the crackling sound no mater what the source was. So I suspect it's the quality of the cable that's the cause of the issue. Problem is those same cables with the crackling on the NX7 sounds perfectly fine with my many other iems.

I wrote about this issue on AliExpress and Jim was quick to respond to me and even offered a replacement (great customer service). I choosed not to as I could still enjoy the NX7 with other cable pairings that didn't have the crackling sound. So far the best cable pairing I found with the NX7 is my copper litz cable from Impact Audio (Etsy). To my ears, it tamed the brightness a bit while bringing out more bass. It has since been my daily driver ... which was my beloved Oriolus Reborn. NX7 has less bass quantity but I'm addicted to the details and resolution in the upper registers.

Is it hissing and crackling sound on the background or is it on the foreground ? If i use the NX7 with stock cable and an Apple lightning dongle it is a static sound fest. The music is faintly on the background. The static sound with hissing and crackling is on the foreground. Tested it with my iPad again, if i use the 3.5mm port there is no problem but if i use the dongle it is a static fest.

Just tested the NX7 with my KZ ES4 stock cable and no problems at all. So the culprit is the stock cable of the NX7. Time to order a new cable :ksc75smile:

Aug 9, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #43,296 of 101,013
Is it hissing and crackling sound on the background or is it on the foreground ? If i use the NX7 with stock cable and an Apple lightning dongle it is a static sound fest. The music is faintly on the background. The static sound with hissing and crackling is on the foreground. Tested it with my iPad again, if i use the 3.5mm port there is no problem but if i use the dongle it is a static fest.

Just tested the NX7 with my KZ ES4 stock cable and no problems at all. So the culprit is the stock cable of the NX7. Time to order a new cable :ksc75smile:

On mines the hissing and crackling sound occurs when no music is playing and becomes worst when there is music playing.

Have you tried your stock nx7 cable with other iems to see if there's still hissing and crackling?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #43,297 of 101,013
On mines the hissing and crackling sound occurs when no music is playing and becomes worst when there is music playing.

Have you tried your stock nx7 cable with other iems to see if there's still hissing and crackling?

Yes, the complete results are :
  • Shanling M0 or M2S + NX7 + NX7 cable -> no problems
  • iPad with 3.5mm port + NX7 + NX7 cable -> no problems
  • iPhone/iPad with lightning dongle + NX7 + NX7 cable -> horrible noise
  • iPhone/iPad with lightning dongle + NX7 + KZ cable -> no problems
  • iPhone/iPad with lightning dongle + KZ ES4 + NX7 cable -> no problems

So it seems like it really is the combination of the NX7 itself + the stock NX7 cable + lightning dongle. The KZ ES4 with NX7 cable does not have any static noise at all when using it on iPhone/iPad with lightning dongle.

Aug 9, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #43,298 of 101,013
Balancing the NiceHCK NX7's Tonality with Micropore Tape

That's what it looks like:

That's how the resulting sound differences can be quantified:

What a surprise: the micropore does not primarily tame that 13 kHz peak but also and more so the upper midrange and lower treble. In previous endeavours, nothing above 5 kHz had been affected by the micropore.

The perceived sound differences are stunning and will be described in detail in my forthcoming review. But much of that bright overpixelation (and therefore most of the fatiguing element) is gone...which brings out the true detail resolution for my ears...and it thickens the vocals department somewhat...hurrah! The only downside is that the bass goes towards boomy...one needs wide-bore tips for this modified version.

Now I am really happy with the NX7.

Last but not least, it is to note that the micropore made an infinitely bigger sonic difference than a cable change or the 50 hr break-in/burn-in...at a cost of next to zero (a 3 m roll was about $2).

P.S. There are lots of earphone tuning/easy-modding wizards out there and I compiled the spread-out wisdom -- referenced to the sources -- handily under one "roof" for your ease of use: https://www.audioreviews.org/modding/

P.P.S. This is a great example of the usefulness of measurements (independent of coupler, even). Showing the differences graphically leaves no doubt on the effect of the micropore taping. What measuring of course can't tell us is inhowfar the sound quality has changed...but one can have an educated guess nevertheless :wink:.
9 meter roll of Micropore tape arrived this morning.....(99p on eBay.) I already have wide-bore spiral dot tips attached....so bass-boom isn't an issue. Many thanks for this easy mod - seems like the NX7's peak treble transients have at last been tamed :)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #43,299 of 101,013
9 meter roll of Micropore tape arrived this morning.....(99p on eBay.) I already have wide-bore spiral dot tips attached....so bass-boom isn't an issue. Many thanks for this easy mod - seems like the NX7's peak treble transients have at last been tamed :)
Apparently, 3M micropore works infinitely better than Johnson & Johnson...

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #43,302 of 101,013
Aug 9, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #43,303 of 101,013
Trying out my own tape mod (Scotch Magic Tape) on my Nicehck EP2. Will report back on changes to the sound, but initial impressions indicate sound stage takes a hit. Also, comfort is reduced.

20190809_092745.jpg

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #43,304 of 101,013
Aug 9, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #43,305 of 101,013
Trying out my own tape mod (Scotch Magic Tape) on my Nicehck EP2. Will report back on changes to the sound, but initial impressions indicate sound stage takes a hit. Also, comfort is reduced.

I like your record player!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back