The discovery thread!
Nov 7, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #39,106 of 101,424
My thought on the DM6 purchase. You know I think enough guys have chimed in to think these are a good one. I know with Aliexpress day coming soon people want to save a bit. Who don't but if piece of mind is worth paying a bit of extra. That is not a bad thing. You are saving maybe $30 at the most. I would just buy it from Penon and be done with.

I was hoping MD would have another drop. I put in my vote. They still might. if you havent yet. I encourage people to do so. So they can sell them again.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #39,110 of 101,424
[
He hasn't had enough time with it to make any real judgements on it. I have 500 hours with it. He has 20. Not even enough to properly burn them in. (These take at least 50 hours to loosen up the planar driver)
Who do you think has a better idea of what they sound like?

But wait a minute! Unless I read your post wrong a few pages back, didn't you type that the CL2 sounds better than all other planar earphones, but then you admitted that you haven't heard all the other planar earphones? Your opinion was based on what "others" stated, right? So how is this review any different than your opinion on the CL2?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #39,112 of 101,424
God, I don't know what I'm doing with this IEM, it's starting to make me feel like a novice with my own equipment. I had it sounding pretty good yesterday. I can't replicate it today so far today no matter what I'm trying. Currently I have LO from my hiby r6 to my fiio a5 with pregain settings on the hiby dropped way down and it's... Ok. Still getting quite a bit of distortion from god knows where.

So far, I think this might be pickier about sources and output impedance and cables than the Andromeda was. Or they just go through crazy phases during burn in.

Seriously starting to consider picking up that Sony DAP that the true believers are using....
Try the bluetooth band, to see if the distortion is because of a new driver, or something to do with your DAP.

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #39,113 of 101,424
I bought my LZ A5 in May. The DM6 is tempting but the A5 is still in working order and with my particular setup (Aliexpress Hearts of Ocean cable, red filter), I still think it sounds fantastic even with the old filters since I never bought the new filters that were released. I've thought about selling the A5 to get the D6 but would it be that big of a step-up?

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #39,115 of 101,424
God, I don't know what I'm doing with this IEM, it's starting to make me feel like a novice with my own equipment. I had it sounding pretty good yesterday. I can't replicate it today so far today no matter what I'm trying. Currently I have LO from my hiby r6 to my fiio a5 with pregain settings on the hiby dropped way down and it's... Ok. Still getting quite a bit of distortion from god knows where.

So far, I think this might be pickier about sources and output impedance and cables than the Andromeda was. Or they just go through crazy phases during burn in.

Seriously starting to consider picking up that Sony DAP that the true believers are using....
Any IEM that radically changes its sound signature depending on the source should be considered a design failure. One reason I would never consider the Andromeda. This is something that bothers me about a number of Campfire Audio's products. They seem to excel under tightly defined conditions but have potentially deal-breaking quirks. I sold my Polaris because the driver flex made it inconvenient to use. IEMs at that price point and above should not do anything blatantly wrong.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #39,116 of 101,424
Speaking of HK6. The NK10 will be sold for $300. Even better the alternate version will be $245!!! Wicked deal for 10BA iem. I can vouche for the sonics. Yes folks that is $45 more than the DM6. Not to throw a wrench in the thought process of the collective.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #39,117 of 101,424
Oh I sold off my kidney already. Solaris ordered. M5s Might have to donate more blood. I am a shell of the person I once was. All in the name of audio!
Looking forward to reading your impressions. I am holding off for that or the Sony IER-Z1R.
Its gonna be a great new year :)
Edit: and if you can comment about the fit too, would appreciate it.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #39,118 of 101,424
Ya I was holding off a bit till the Z1R but that thread is brutal. Difficult to ignore when those guys that were first adapters are all into their TOTL stuff. All love em except for the guys with small ears unfortunately.

I have a distinct memory of how I heard the Z1R at Can Jam so the Solaris has a lot to live up to in terms of sonics. I wished KB had the Solaris at can jam but he didn't.

I went with the andromeda S which is on every account one of my all time favorite earphones as it should be but if the Solaris does a bunch of things better. It should be my end game. I hope! My thought is if the Solaris dont meet my expectations. They will be easy to sell off. Save up for Sonys flag ship.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #39,119 of 101,424
Speaking of HK6. The NK10 will be sold for $300. Even better the alternate version will be $245!!! Wicked deal for 10BA iem. I can vouche for the sonics. Yes folks that is $45 more than the DM6. Not to throw a wrench in the thought process of the collective.
Wait, what is "alternate version", what is the difference between them and the normal version that makes them 55 bucks cheaper? Can you please share some light on this matter?

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #39,120 of 101,424
Ya I was holding off a bit till the Z1R but that thread is brutal. Difficult to ignore when those guys that were first adapters are all into their TOTL stuff. All love em except for the guys with small ears unfortunately.

I have a distinct memory of how I heard the Z1R at Can Jam so the Solaris has a lot to live up to in terms of sonics. I wished KB had the Solaris at can jam but he didn't.

I went with the andromeda S which is on every account one of my all time favorite earphones as it should be but if the Solaris does a bunch of things better. It should be my end game. I hope! My thought is if the Solaris dont meet my expectations. They will be easy to sell off. Save up for Sonys flag ship.
Yeah you are the one person I wanna hear from when you get your hands of them :)
The hype is blinding. And the solaris or sony will be the end game for me as well.
Will be watching closely. With popcorn in hand.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back