1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The discovery thread!

1. FastAndClean
    are they using knowles drivers?

2. Dsnuts Contributor
    They are both made by the same company/ OEMs. Tuning will be a bit different. NiceHCK loves a mid forward signature. the Alternate version will have a bit more emphasis on bass and treble which the NK10 could have actually used. This was the main difference from the HK6 and it's alternate version. I am gonna assume house signatures will stay in place.

However both earphones will be comparable. So yes it is a gamble but $245 for a 10BA earphone with good balance and 3Dness you can only get from these larger Multi BA earphones. It is a gamble. Current owners seems to love them.

I have to admit even though I put in an order of the Solaris I am tempted myself.

papa_mia likes this.
  3. Nabillion_786
    Well I am from the UK and I have a choice between the one from audio&video professional store which is £120 and the one from penon which is about £154. That's about 45 USD price difference and I would prefer the much cheaper option if I had any confidence regarding that store. Do you have any experience regarding this store?

4. Dsnuts Contributor
    Half Knowles half Bellsing.

5. Dsnuts Contributor
    Never bought from Audio and Video. But I have 100% confidence in Penon.

Nabillion_786 likes this.
  6. FastAndClean
    where can i find the "alternate version"?

7. geagle
    check out the chinese thread ... extremely short summary: IF I'm not mistaken (but I'm going from memory, so please do check :)), the audio&video store is the one that threw a monkey wrench in the DM6 scheduling process, featuring a price which was significantly lower than the average one (without ready stock on hand). It will(/should) be honored by BGVP, but apparently BGVP took some exception to the behavior, and so will put them last in line to honor their orders. Which means that ordering from them SHOULD net one a lower price, but one will have to wait quite a bit more time before they'll be able to ship.

At least, that's my understanding (assuming that the store IS the one I have in mind - once again, check on the chinese IEM thread :wink: - topic was discussed extensively, there)

Nabillion_786 likes this.
  8. geagle
  9. phthora
    I don't really have much to add to this. I just wanted people to see it again. :upside_down:

I often wonder how many of these people that advocate for insanely long burn-in times have actually burned something in for that long. Seems like a practical impossibility most of the time and that what many are actually relying on is their memories of their impressions of the 'phones when they first listened.

10. Wiljen

Ok, Lets end this. It is not productive and is just bashing at this point.

None of us have , nor will we ever have, tried every possible combination of everything out there, As such, asking that someone do that before posting what is best is a bit of a reach. I think it does help from a review standpoint to know what the reviewer feels is best as it sets the frame of reference for their viewpoint. To me, the best electrostat I have heard is the Stax. I haven't had the chance to listen to the Orpheus (much as I'd like to) nor have I heard the latest Mr. Speakers creation. That does not mean my opinion is invalid, just that it is subject to change if and when I hear something better.

Arkady Duntov and B9Scrambler like this.
  11. antdroid
    context to enthroning a new king always helps, though. making blanket statements like "best planar IEM" isn't very valid if you've never actually heard any other planar IEM. Instead, saying, this is the best planar IEM i've heard so far, and maybe listing the IEMs you have listened to helps. Basically exactly how you stated your Stax comment.

BTW, you're doing a great job @B9Scrambler Love your reviews. Thanks for showing a balanced review on the CL2. Still interested to listen to them at some point and compare to my other planars.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    paulindss, crabdog, peter123 and 4 others like this.
  12. archy121

That's like a coke head saying my one last quality fix..

ROFL !

As you know - No such thing in this brutal Hobby.

superuser1, SciOC and Dsnuts like this.
  13. Dsnuts Contributor
    Ya no boubt. And I am looking into a balanced cable for the Solaris already. Unreal.

14. mochill
  15. SciOC
    I'll agree with that to a point. Because honestly, nobody should be making any source with high output impedance anymore, especially it it's even remotely targeting portability/iem users. That's mostly on the amp maker, not the IEM maker.

I liked my Andromedas, but I will admit, my it04 were just so much easier to pair and get great sound out of, so I sold the Andromeda. They make a great product, but like so many of the TOTL makers, they just are too expensive to justify over others due to the idea of diminishing returns. Thank god the used market is so active for that stuff.

archy121 and facethemusic88 like this.