The discovery thread!
Oct 24, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #38,566 of 103,128
Aliexpress now has "security update" for buyers that requires you send them copies of your drivers license and credit card statement
to verify your worthiness. Will NOT do this, especially when order for something else went through fine a few weeks ago. what the
hell is going on here? that is very insecure, to send sensitive documents to them like that, especially if you have successfully
purchased from them before. They may have better prices than Penon Audio, but this would be the end of any biz with them...any other vendors selling
discounted DM6 iems that do not do this????

Never give out that information unless you want someone to steal your identity.

Oct 24, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #38,567 of 103,128
Aliexpress now has "security update" for buyers that requires you send them copies of your drivers license and credit card statement
to verify your worthiness. Will NOT do this, especially when order for something else went through fine a few weeks ago. what the
hell is going on here? that is very insecure, to send sensitive documents to them like that, especially if you have successfully
purchased from them before. They may have better prices than Penon Audio, but this would be the end of any biz with them...any other vendors selling
discounted DM6 iems that do not do this????

When did this happen? I haven't purchased on AE in a few weeks but I've never been asked that before. That seems very fishy. I would avoid that.

Oct 24, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #38,568 of 103,128
I did just order those yesterday, now I'm worried about the treble lol....

Looking forward to your further impressions of them.

I switched to spinfit tips and treble isnt as pronounced as before. This IEM is extremely smooth now. Has good detail. Sounds a lot like a more mature Tin Audio T2 to me. I have to compare it to the T2 Pro that i have on hand later. The DMG, in comparison, sounds more dipped in the mids compared to these. This is only my 2-3 hours of listening impressions. Using Pioneer XDP-300R DAP w/ balanced cable listening to mostly folk and indie rock music.

Will run some comparative EARS measurements tonight or sometime this week.

Oct 24, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #38,570 of 103,128
When did this happen? I haven't purchased on AE in a few weeks but I've never been asked that before. That seems very fishy. I would avoid that.
yesterday and today! AE refused to take my valid B of A debit card for DM6 when i had successfully used it just a few weeks ago on their site, and customer service chat (live or bot?) told me it was because
of a "security upgrade" and that most of their customers were sending in photos of their personal credit cards, drivers licenses, etc. hard to believe.....

Oct 24, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #38,571 of 103,128

These finally came in. (Tenhz P4 Pro)
Pretty good so far. Maybe a little too boosted in treble, but will try switching out tips.

Yes, i would say very good, but at ten hours of burn in treble is way too hot. using foam tip , large size tames
the treble and increases the resolution of the bass considerably. much different than out of box, so i am hopeful
they will continue to improve quite a bit. the bass is actually quite impressive coming from the BA driver. i might
even learn to enjoy it, having been a dedicated dynamic driver guy before this. this one was checkmarked green
by HBB as worthy, and i can hear why it can become that . Put it on burn in bench and will try to ignore it now
for a couple of daze and listen again at the 50 hr burnin mark...

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #38,572 of 103,128
I never received any notice/email about this security updates from AliExpress ,
from where you collect these informations ,?

when they refused to process my preorder for 11/11 both yesterday and this morning for the BM6 because my card needed security verification, and i had just successfully
ordered something two weeks ago with the same card. Customer service was useless, saying it was necessary general security update from their system for everyone
ordering now. not sure if it was live chat person or bot however. of course i would never send them a photocopy of my drivers license and cc statement like they requested,
which i told them, and they couldnt care less... the security update demands were only published in chinese yesterday, but today it was in English, so its an active process
for them.....later today i found the BM6 available on Amazon USA for the retail amount with a10$ off coupon, shipped from China by a different vendor with less choice for cable and slow boat shipment with no priority shipping available. Penon Audio may be the best choice, as they are much more reliable and clear about their policies and offer upgraded shipping, but sell same iem at retail price, which is 25% higher than AE 11/11 sale however. right now im so annoyed im not ordering them at all.....despite HBB glowing buy now recommendation hopefully other reliable sale vendors will appear...

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #38,573 of 103,128
On that token, I would stop using debit card on AE period. Use a credit card. Much, much easier to deal with getting your money back and safer.

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #38,574 of 103,128
On that token, I would stop using debit card on AE period. Use a credit card. Much, much easier to deal with getting your money back and safer.
Good idea Lurk650! i think i wont deal with them at all however. they wasted several hours of my time yesterday, tried to get me to respond to Chinese language, untranslated, "security updates" and their chat bot was unhelpful and demeaning....Penon Audio still has my respect and business however.

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #38,575 of 103,128
The tenhz p4 seals so well in my ear thay they hurt my ear canal. Using the smallest eartips possible. They seal everything and the fit is almost like a CIEM. Impossible something seal more than this. They are incredibly sensitive. Actually hard to find a volume. The flatness can make the dynamics worse ? It seem like this is happening, I would love to try them balanced. Lot of folks say that they sound better in balanced. In the future i want to get a es100 bt to try that.

unfortunately i only have my s8 as source by now, my fiio is gone. The s8 is very flat, revealing but it's not the lushier, dinamic, and musical source. P4: The bass is indeed tight and present. Not exactly soft and not exactly Excellent at air and rumble. Details are good. The highs seem natural, excellent for me, better than ever. Sparkly and anywhere harsh. Did a little AB with my tin audios yesterday. And i can say that the tins are a step below at absolutely everything for me. The tehnz atacks way harder, thicker and clearer for me. I would speculate a flat signature with no peaks or valleys. A emphasis in early mids and good extension at both ends. P4 in two words. Thick and clear.

The sense of stage and air coud be better. They aren't claustrophobic at all. But my dmg's seem more airy. But also thinner... Look forward to see what others think of the airyness of the stage and dynamics. My reference of neutral untill now was t2s and re400s. They are closer to re400s that has a smaller stage compared to t2s, the hifimans also have a very good extension at bass, (a treat) and have emphasis on mids. The tin sound very thin compared to both, but seem much more airy. I rate the p4 pro much higher than both, imaging is better than anything i tried. I pick details, defects, artefacts and the harmonical elements of the music, bass, percussion much easier.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #38,576 of 103,128
The tenhz p4 seals so well in my ear thay they hurt my ear canal. Using the smallest eartips possible. They seal everything and the fit is almost like a CIEM. Impossible something seal more than this. They are incredibly sensitive. Actually hard to find a volume. The flatness can make the dynamics worse ? It seem like this is happening, I would love to try them balanced. Lot of folks say that they sound better in balanced. In the future i want to get a es100 bt to try that.

unfortunately i only have my s8 as source by now, my fiio is gone. The s8 is very flat, revealing but it's not the lushier, dinamic, and musical source. P4: The bass is indeed tight and present. Not exactly soft and not exactly Excellent at air and rumble. Details are good. The highs seem natural, excellent for me, better than ever. Sparkly and anywhere harsh. Did a little AB with my tin audios yesterday. And i can say that the tins are a step below at absolutely everything for me. The tehnz atacks way harder, thicker and clearer for me. I would speculate a flat signature with no peaks or valleys. A emphasis in early mids and good extension at both ends. P4 in two words. Thick and clear.

The sense of stage and air coud be better. They aren't claustrophobic at all. But my dmg's seem more airy. But also thinner... Look forward to see what others think of the airyness of the stage and dynamics. My reference of neutral untill now was t2s and re400s. They are closer to re400s that has a smaller stage compared to t2s, the hifimans also have a very good extension at bass, (a treat) and have emphasis on mids. The tin sound very thin compared to both, but seem much more airy. I rate the p4 pro much higher than both, imaging is better than anything i tried. I pick details, defects, artefacts and the harmonical elements of the music, bass, percussion much easier.

Your observations Paulindss are spot on! they are very sensitive, almost blew my head off when i first put them in and had to rip them out of my ears! the DMGs are more airy, but lack the body
and texture of the P4s. yes, the P4s are thick and clear. Im using the foam tips that came with them to get the best seal for me. I have a balanced cables stashed away i might try out on the P4 soon!
im only up to about 20 hrs of burn in, and they keep getting more refined, so im guessing i will have to go to 100+hrs of burn in to really release those BAs potential. DSnuts says some of his BA iems needed
almost 200 hrs of burn in to really open up!. DM6 is appealing as possible upgrade, but AE sale spoiled by outrageous security demands for using debit card that i wont cooperate with. HBB gave the P4s his "greencheck" indicating he recommended them and enjoyed listening to them, but the DM6 is his current favorite for neutral sound with quality/price ratio maximized and stunning sound quality!
about to try the P4s with better source tonight, including Opus #1 metal and Calyx M...we will hear what floats its boat with max sound quality! The high sensitivity makes them sound great out of my
phone, the HTC10, which has a great Dac and soundsystem and streams Tidal, but the Opus #1 metal is better sound quality. Also the Aune M2s blue edition sometimes creates the best sound in my house
being a class A DAP in terms of amp circuit in it. so many possibilities! the P4 is certainly a bargain for its out of the box potential and lets keep this dialogue going for ways to maximize its performance!

Oct 24, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #38,577 of 103,128
I did just order those yesterday, now I'm worried about the treble lol....

Looking forward to your further impressions of them.
received audbos p4 yesterday. i think you shouldn't be worried about the treble, unless tenhz p4 pro have a different tuning. i think upper-mids and treble are smooth in audbos p4. massdrop tenhz p4 pro are near to be shipped, so will check it soon (in a couple of months, hope to have my iec711 rig set up again, to fine check differences).

i was doing a quick A/B between p4 and toneking t4, focusing on bass, vocals, and treble. tried The Brand New Heavies (funk jazz) tracks and Billie Holliday (vocal jazz) tracks. same gear (player and cable, balanced). these are first impressions based on a quick A/B, so.. salt.

overall: p4 is warmer/thicker (decay is longer) at every frequency. together with more bass quantity, less upper-mids and treble quantity, p4 becomes darker than t4. separation is high in both, maybe t4 is a bit higher.

bass:
p4 is balanced but not neutral. bass quantity is clearly above flat response, while not being bassy at all. t4 quantity is nearer to flat bass response. attack is fast and punchy, decay is long. extension is decent, although sub-bass quantity is not remarkable; when some people say that they don't respond to sub-bass eq boost, i'd suggest doing a pre-cut (every frequency) of the amount of dB you are going to boost sub-bass (guess it could work this way, not tried yet).
so the quantity and rumble is welcome. this is good for edm, rock, etc. where i appreciate p4 bass; for jazz, i prefer t4 bass; find it more realistic in this case.

mids:
vocals in p4 sound in your face, very near. t4 are not far, but not in your face. p4 vocals are thicker than in t4. it seems that mids are a bit forwarder in p4, while upper-mids are lower, respect t4.
the tonality and thickness make vocals sound bassier in p4. upper-mids in t4 are louder and thinner, so you get better resolution in some instruments in that range.
it's been a challenge to choose which mids and vocals i prefer. although i like near and lush full bodied vocals, in the case of Billie Holiday, i prefer t4. find it a bit more natural, realistic, detailed, live feeling in t4. but p4 is great for vocals, no doubt.

treble:
i think t4 is more extended and louder. so you get better treble details in t4. i don't find them harsh nor fatiguing, but maybe i'm a bit treble-head. p4 is not bad, either. not excessive difference. cymbals sound better in t4 imo.

soundstage:
didn't focus this much. i think t4 is a bit wider and has more depth/layering. don't remember about height, maybe p4 is higher. about imaging, i also prefer t4 by a little margin.

i'm enjoying this pair of mid-centric iems. p4 can be more "fun", suitable for many genres. find t4 more neutral, near reference, better for analytical listening. both are really awesome, thanks to the people here who found out and reviewed these affordable gems!

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #38,578 of 103,128
About the AliExpress fiasco : I set up Alipay, then tried using my credit card. Didn't set up. Set up 3-D verification or something I have fory Visa. Never had a problem ever since, but it still happens when i change my address. I would say black out your credit card details and put in only the last four digits of your card, and try blacking out most details from your driver's license too. Be safe and talk to an AE representative about this, or just search on Google guys.

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #38,579 of 103,128
Is there any Kanas Pros on sale? I couldn't find any but maybe I am just too dumb. Got the King Pro last year's 11/11 btw.
I'm not seeing pre order sales but fingers crossed for these two, man.

Edit : also really not trying to be rude here, but HBB got laughed off by a lot of experienced audiophiles simply because his preference for bloated midbass. He has improved over the years but I would pick Crinacle as a more credible reviewer than HBB as Crinacle seems to have a LOT more experience with audio gears than HBB. not trying to start a fire here, sorry. :p

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #38,580 of 103,128
Tenhz P4 Pro vs Campfire Comet vs BGVP DMG

P1020440.JPG

Just data. Not much to comment on right now.

Measurements are with MiniDSP EARS. All the usual disclaimers apply. Don't take the measurements literally -- this isnt industry standard -- but good tool for comparative purposes.

Frequency Response is RAW.

P4 Pro vs Comet vs DMG.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back