The discovery thread!
Oct 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #15,301 of 106,627
Glad you have a pair d marc0. Can you take a photo of the back of the box? I want to see if we have the same versions. Thanks.

Here it is mate:

@dsnuts - it's so cool to be you my friend. You're the man! Wish I was there at the event... I wonder if that sort of thing gets organised here in Straya?!

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #15,302 of 106,627
Originally Posted by sfwalcer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LoL, inks is good in my book, can't block everyone that don't see eye to eye with ya'. i go commando into this mofo.
ph34r.gif
Cuz it's mo' fun that way. HE HE HE
very_evil_smiley.gif

Lots of mofos probably got my troll @ss blocked i bet, it's their loss.
duggehsmile.png

you go commando  like no pants-commando?

Waiting for your impressions on the RHA's SF.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #15,304 of 106,627
OK, happened once again...posted before I went to work this morning, came home a few minutes ago, 3 pages/75 posts since I last checked in. Whew. I may have to quit work, it gets in the way! Anyway, glad you like the Pioneers, DS, have the 2000s on burn in, have to check on them later. They are really comfortable, did like the initial sound on them. Don't know how they compare to the lower models, didn't have much chance to compare at Best Buy.
On the subject of bass in headphones...yeah, there probably is too much, it's what people like. There was an article written on "real bass" in Stereophile not too long ago, the upshot of which was that it hardly exists in electronics the way it sounds in the real world anymore. I like the AT 1K's, makes for an exciting sound, like the Monster Gratitudes and M-L Mykro 90's, which don't present bloated bass at all, and are both midrange and detail -centric. Lots of different ways to float the boat...
As for sound quality and cost, no rational audiophile (I grant, those words could be considered an oxymoron) will pretend the law of diminishing returns doesn't exist, or kick in past a certain price point (price:performance ratio). The question after that becomes, how much extra green are you willing to lay out for ever decreasing improvements in sound? To some, the subtle increases in reality, soundstage, openness, etc are worth spending big bucks to attain, to others not so much, it's a personal formula as to where you feel the price:performance works for you. After all, a sax still sounds like a sax through poor system playing an MP3; you get the nuance of texture, space, and other types of audio nirvana through higher end sound. That's enough BS for 1 long post.
Just sayin...

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #15,305 of 106,627
S2's on sale for $106 on Amazon.com

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #15,306 of 106,627
The denial here is funny, it's a fact it has a 16db bass boost, those guys that measured have expertise, no offense but the comments here are just wild guesses. Then again this whole thread tends to recommend what I consider bloated bass iems, wish more heard real quality bass like the UM 3DDs

So when do you start the tour, Inks, so us unfortunate poor saps can experience the true audio joy that your experienced ears apparently haven't been deprived of? Of course, assuming that the UM 3DDs is actually a pair of IEMs that you have heard (and just not your definitive views base on some chart you've seen. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #15,307 of 106,627
Here it is mate:

@dsnuts - it's so cool to be you my friend. You're the man! Wish I was there at the event... I wonder if that sort of thing gets organised here in Straya?!

Thank you bro. Base on memory (some knucklehead put my box somewhere - the trash maybe -  and he can't remember where) that's the same box (I remember the yellow part in the corner, Chinese writing, and inadequate amount of tips on the box). The Dunu rep stated the new versions came with more accessories, and clearly we got more than what's shown on the box. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #15,308 of 106,627
Thank you bro. Base on memory (some knucklehead put my box somewhere - the trash maybe -  and he can't remember where) that's the same box (I remember the yellow part in the corner, Chinese writing, and inadequate amount of tips on the box). The Dunu rep stated the new versions came with more accessories, and clearly we got more than what's shown on the box. :beerchug:

You're welcome. That's a relief knowing we did get the new versions. Rock'n on Dubstep tunes as I burn this in. What tips do you find best as of now? Still haven't tried the other tips and rings. Currently using the black bi-flanges + blue rings.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #15,309 of 106,627
OK, Pioneer HDJ-2000, after a day or so of burn in, bass has tightened,maybe slightly softer sound than some I've listened to, but nice. Bass not bloated, mids good, listened to my obsessions/references, Fountains of Wayne, now Aimee Mann. I can almost make out the words on Aimee Mann's "Whatever", which is a good sign of midrange resolution-they can be a bitch to get. Am listening through the X3...was going to plug it into my National amp, but I let the battery drain, will charge a few hours, then do the line out bit. Do really like these so far, though (but, I'm a headphone person 
k701smile.gif
 )

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #15,310 of 106,627
You're welcome. That's a relief knowing we did get the new versions. Rock'n on Dubstep tunes as I burn this in. What tips do you find best as of now? Still haven't tried the other tips and rings. Currently using the black bi-flanges + blue rings.

I've settled on the dark grey (wide bore) silicon stock tips. And I use the silver ring. Plenty of bass but the entire sound spectrum sounds balanced to me that way.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #15,311 of 106,627
OK, curious to hear some more impressions of the Dunu, I dunno (ouch) what I'll do till then...

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #15,312 of 106,627
I've settled on the dark grey (wide bore) silicon stock tips. And I use the silver ring. Plenty of bass but the entire sound spectrum sounds balanced to me that way.

Cheers!

OK, curious to hear some more impressions of the Dunu, I dunno (ouch) what I'll do till then...

Stay tuned for impressions...

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #15,315 of 106,627

D, what did you think of the tonal balance of the Cardas? It's not very appealing to my ears.

I got a brief listen. I wasn't too happy the guy that was letting me hear didn't seem to have any alcohol swabs on hand and the tips looked.... used.. Collective. EEEEWWWWW!!
Ya but I threw them in like a champ and listen to them for a couple tunes.. I do need to hit the shower here as I am sure I shared some face grease and ear wax with some random folk. Lol..They do kinda sound like speakers I will get a chance to hear them here soon so I will report back how I hear em..

Here it is mate:

Hey all it takes is a venue and the will to gather a bunch of sound nuts together. There are so many headfiers from Aussie land I don't see why there shouldn't be annual event to exchange face grease and ear wax. Lol. Congrats on the Dunus by the way.

Ya I didn't get a chance to hear the Vali. I should have I know..I will get one anyway. Everyone was impressed by it.

Oh and I got to brows around with the rest of the show. You know 100K speaker set ups and 20K record players and such..Psst. who needs that expensive stuff when I got my RHA MA750s and my X3 in my pocket.! That euphoric huge speaker sound stage with sound emanating from every single space around me. Na thats got nothing on my set up..

I got to check out 1K plus cables. Ya that would be cables connecting from your source to speakers and such..I was like sure.. Give me 20. Never thought cables was so exciting..Now I see them in a new light. Only at RMAF! I don't need a TH900 at all. I just need them wicked cables!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back