The discovery thread!
Oct 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #15,286 of 106,676
I just got back from RMAF. Interesting mish mash of headphones and high end audio gears all in one room. Some quick impressions. The new Alpha Dogs was on display. Sounds great. Neutral, very natural smooth and expansive sounding headphone excellent detail all around. Was the new darling of the show. I had a good conversation with the head man and they definitely know what they are doing tuning them Alpha Dogs. Many of the other hardware companies was using the Alpha Dogs to show off their amps and such..But believe it or not It wasn't the Alpha Dogs that impressed me the most. Keep reading.

Got to hear the Cardas earphones.. Big sound to them I will have a better listening session with them soon but was impressed with how big they sounded for earphones.. Hifimans. HD800s. Got to take a brief listen to most of what was there..

They all sounded real nice..TH900 is awesome headphone but I don't know if they are worth spending that kind of cheese. I have just as much satisfaction with my X1 out of my NFB-5 so that was surprising that it didn't blow my mind with it's sound..They do sound incredible but not 6X incredible from my X1 set up. So what impressed me the most you might ask? Believe it or not I walked away from the Philips booth very impressed with their new upcoming Fidelio L2. The phones are not big but the sound is. I couldn't believe the scale of sound these mid sized cans was emitting..The sound was rich, expansive and hit all the notes with authority. I liked them a lot. They will retail for $300 when released but should go down toward the $200 range for street prices.

Funny moment. I went up to Tyll and told him who I was. He was like WHAT!!!!? Dsnuts. You know. "Oh yea" Lol..

RHA was there but was somewhat ignored by the masses. I kinda felt bad about their booth as it had 2 ladies sitting there with the RHA MA600 and RHA MA700. Not really much to show... Not getting much attention. Which is a shame. Too many big players in the same room for folks to pay attention to them. They had a very minimal display.. I will have to contact RHA and tell them they need to do something about that maybe for their next trade show. The Philips booth was right in front of them getting all the attention. Found out why the S2 sounds as good as they do. It uses a dual layer diaphragm the S1 doesn't. And I did get word they are considering a much higher end earphone this is from the guy that made the S2...The lead engineer was on hand and they tell me they read the threads here at headfi and get a lot of feedback so our voices are heard by the manufacturers..They know about the gimpy stock cable on the X1 and their excuse was that everything was accounted for in pricing out the X1. So in other words they went cheap on the cable to shave cost..

Anyways that was that..Heard a lot of high end stuff at the show and the one thing I got out of it? My stuff holds up very nicely to the worlds finest audio gears but my stuff don't cost as much. Lol. I think your average enthusiast would have been more impressed with what was on hand but after a while they all sounded good but nothing really blew me away..It seems high end stuff is just incremental differences. Some have better stage some have better clarity, some have better bass. ect ect..We shell out them big bucks just to have it.. The industry is alive and well...

I was introducing myself to the ladies at RHA. Ya my name is Dsnuts.> What?!!! lol!! Lady killa man lady killa!

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #15,287 of 106,676
The denial here is funny, it's a fact it has a 16db bass boost, those guys that measured have expertise, no offense but the comments here are just wild guesses. Then again this whole thread tends to recommend what I consider bloated bass iems, wish more heard real quality bass like the UM 3DDs

Again with this! Ugh! We get it you don't like the CKS1000. But what don't you get about the AT being a big company that caters to all. Your not talking about the CK10, CK100, CK100 Pro, CK90 Pro II, the new IM 30 and IM 40. They make one model with bigger bass and some quality for a mix between bassy enjoyment and technicality. Why keep bashing it like they committed some violation. You or any one don't care for it there are the other six models I previously mentioned that are more your style. They are not even my style but I just don't want to try them. I feel no need to say something bad about them.

Then to paint or smear the thread. The S2, M200, Delta, R3, etc. aren't bloated bass earphones but apples to oranges to compare them to higher end customs, dynamic or not. Same apples to oranges with the CKS1000. It is made that way on purpose and you talk like it is supposed to a super accurate monitor high end custom that was botched. The only denial here is you denying to use the proper perspective about who the CKS1000 were made for. What's next, a Bugatti is a crap car cause it gets bad gas mileage?

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #15,288 of 106,676
If you don't think the S2 is muddy, I have no more to say....try it with the Jays Curves Dirac and hear the difference, iOS only:

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #15,289 of 106,676
been away from the thread for a while, is there a new top dog IEM that you guys are talking about? I went back a few pages and was looking at the KEF but the fit looks odd.  
I had the M200 and fit was an issue for me. I can get them on pretty decently with my glasses off but putting on my glasses breaks the seal most of the time. It was also too bass heavy for me so I went with the Fidelio S2. Matches my sound preferences more without the struggle. I think the RHA 750 and Dunu DN1000 are in the mix as well.

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #15,290 of 106,676
I had the M200 and fit was an issue for me. I can get them on pretty decently with my glasses off but putting on my glasses breaks the seal most of the time. It was also too bass heavy for me so I went with the Fidelio S2. Matches my sound preferences more without the struggle. I think the RHA 750 and Dunu DN1000 are in the mix as well.

RHA, Fidelio, and Dunu huh? non-mainstream companies (at least to my knowledge)! interesting.  If anyone else can recommend, I listen to a lot of vocals. I like bass but not if it bleeds into the mids. also a bit treble sensitive. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #15,291 of 106,676
^ Dont forget the R3 and cardas iem

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #15,294 of 106,676
  I was introducing myself to the ladies at RHA. Ya my name is Dsnuts.> What?!!! lol!! Lady killa man lady killa!

Lol Ds! Sounds like you had a great time!

Great report as well! Thanks.

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #15,296 of 106,676
Oct 11, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #15,297 of 106,676

Funny moment. I went up to Tyll and told him who I was. He was like WHAT!!!!? Dsnuts. You know. "Oh yea" Lol..

^ PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!! On both accounts.
tongue.gif

Guys, really. Try it. It's worked wonders for my blood pressure.

LoL, inks is good in my book, can't block everyone that don't see eye to eye with ya'. i go commando into this mofo.
ph34r.gif
Cuz it's mo' fun that way. HE HE HE
very_evil_smiley.gif

Lots of mofos probably got my troll @ss blocked i bet, it's their loss.
duggehsmile.png

HYPE SUIT ON!!!
triportsad.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #15,298 of 106,676
  Lots of mofos probably got my troll @ss blocked i bet, it's their loss.
duggehsmile.png

Head-fi now comes with a separate "Block the Master Troll" option and the default setting "Hell yeah!" lol

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #15,300 of 106,676
Yep, Master Troll is the worst. The only one deserving of a block!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back