The Best Headphones ?
Jul 21, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #46 of 80

[size=10.0pt]Quote:[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Originally Posted by TheWuss [/size]
[size=10.0pt]okay.[/size]
[size=10.0pt]here's the trouble. [/size]
[size=10.0pt]you present us with this thread with several headphones listed.  all very respected headphones in the $200 to $400 price range.[/size]
[size=10.0pt]and then, you ask for every known criteria of sound to be met, and ask which of those headphones does it.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]in short, none of them.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]so, pick a headphone.  chances are, you will like it.  chances are, you will also find something about it that isn't exactly up to snuff.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]i own 10 headphones.  and, will have an 11th on friday.[/size]
[size=10.0pt]and not a single pair of them does all things well.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]but, they all do their own thing, and can be enjoyable once you understand what they do.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]or... use the subtractive method.[/size]
[size=10.0pt]pick the most important element to you, and we can for sure tell you which headphone to avoid in your purchase.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Quote:[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Originally Posted by David.M [/size]
[size=10.0pt]wow. I don't mean to be disrespectfull, but you're so  annoying maltra7. Hasn't Nikongod and the rest of people here, helped you enough? What more do you want? YES THE DT990's are as close to what you describe. Do i need to spell it out in Zodiac letters?[/size]

[size=10.0pt]do more research if you want, you're not going to get anything better than the dt990/600. Now do i have to spoon-feed you on where to make your purchase?[/size]

[size=10.0pt]I have done some research about the DT990 and HD600,[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Some people describe the DT990 " having to overpowered mids and especially highs"[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Some people describe the HD600 " having really good mids and highs but weak bass"[/size]

[size=10.0pt]I know i cant get a pair headphones to do all the things i want "but if somebody could say to me these pair of headphones represent the closest math to the points you refereed to earlier".[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Then i would be really happy.[/size]

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #47 of 80
I want a pair the very best headphones in the whole wide world, while on a limited budget and not really knowing very much about my own listening preferences.

COULD SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME NOW?!?
wink_face.gif

Seriously, take your best shot on Amazon.com, keep all the packaging perfect, and return them re-packaged just the way that you received them in their original condition if you aren't satisfied and try something else.

The 32 ohm DT 880 would be a good place to start, as it has a more neutral response than the 990, and would a MUCH better match with your gear than the 250/600 ohm version, or a 300 ohm HD 600.

Your Astro Mixamp has a nominal impedance of 32 ohms--this is IMPORTANT, and will make a big difference in how well your headphones will perform with it.

But whatever you decide to get that make sure that Amazon themselves is the seller as any return would be much easier to process.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #50 of 80
So subjective

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #51 of 80
Best all arounder in my opinion is the DT990-600.  Great sparkle, superb controlled bass, warm, comfortable.  I think the K701 would be too harsh on some gaming sounds, they could become fatiguing.  I loved them for acoustical jazz, but the variety of sound in gaming would not be the best match for the K701.  HD650 would be fine for gaming, but I think the DT990 does everything better.

Hope that helps.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #52 of 80
i disagree, the DT990's are anything but warm. they are wonderful for gaming and movies, but i found their treble too fatiguing and a bit artificial in most of my albums. Don't get me started on the mainstream albums that have heavy treble as is. It's like hell for your ears. Not even the warmest amp or the warmest dac will help. 

you just have to love treble and be some-what of a grado guy to really enjoy these. The Senn HD650 doesn't do gaming as well as the DT990's, but it still does a might fine job if you have decent equipment. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #54 of 80

Quote:

Probably depending on source and amp.

I edited/added some more stuff to my post. please give that a read. I have tried the DT990/600 with every source/amp that i can think of, and they still fried my ears. Granted, i still love them to keep them for movies/games- since treble harshness isn't really noticed here, but music wise, it's torture and maverickronin would agree with me as well.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #55 of 80
Doesn't anybody else here understand the importance of impedance matching?

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #56 of 80
Get the HD-600. It's the best of the lot. The K-701 is natural? I think of it as the aerosol cheese of the headphone world. Ain't nothing natural about those vocals. Compare to a K-501, or heck, a live performance to hear the plasticky sound of the vocals. Like artificial sweeteners, the K-701 leaves a bad aftertaste. It's the only headphone I felt good about selling.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #57 of 80
Quote:
Get the HD-600. It's the best of the lot. The K-701 is natural? I think of it as the aerosol cheese of the headphone world. Ain't nothing natural about those vocals. Compare to a K-501, or heck, a live performance to hear the plasticky sound of the vocals. Like artificial sweeteners, the K-701 leaves a bad aftertaste. It's the only headphone I felt good about selling.

I used to think that, I couldn't stand the K701 until I heard them balanced with a Silver Dragon Cable through a WA22 with the high-powered 7236 tubes; now I have a whole new level of respect for the K701, they really do scale up.

I would normally agree regarding the HD600.

But AGAIN, the OP has 32 ohm nominal impedance with his Astro Mix amp.

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #59 of 80

Quote:
well yeah... But we have no clue how powerful an astro mix amp is.

Quote:
I used to think that, I couldn't stand the K701 until I heard them balanced with a Silver Dragon Cable through a WA22 with the high-powered 7236 tubes; now I have a whole new level of respect for the K701, they really do scale up.

The mix amp has a power in terms of ohms of 32ohms as GROKIT STATED.

Alright a lot of you have been discussing the amp issue?

I have £100-£130 to spend on a headphone amp.

The only audio connectivity on the Sony PlayStation 3 is optical.

The Sony PlayStation 3 has an optical input so in order an headphone amp to work the headphone amp would need a optical output.
( Please correct me if i am wrong.)

I have stumbled upon this great  amp which has an optical output and a iPod or mp3 connectivityy.
Also it has 1000wt power and can drive headphones up to 600ohms.

The amp is called  TubeMagic D1 Heres a link : http://www.mavaudio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1/.

The only thing is, i can’t  find this in the uk.

Can anybody  help?

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #60 of 80

Quote:

Quote:
well yeah... But we have no clue how powerful an astro mix amp is.

The mix amp has a power in terms of ohms of 32ohms as GROKIT STATED.

Alright a lot of you have been discussing the amp issue?

I have £100-£130 to spend on a headphone amp.

The only audio connectivity on the Sony PlayStation 3 is optical.

The Sony PlayStation 3 has an optical input so in order an headphone amp to work the headphone amp would need a optical output.
( Please correct me if i am wrong.)

I have stumbled upon this great  amp which has an optical output and a iPod or mp3 connectivityy.
Also it has 1000wt power and can drive headphones up to 600ohms.

The amp is called  TubeMagic D1 Heres a link : http://www.mavaudio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1/.

The only thing is, i can’t  find this in the uk.

Can anybody  help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back