The Best Headphones ?
Jul 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #76 of 80
Maltar, you *really* need to straighten yourself out on impedance, power and sensitivity. As was stated, power output is not measured in Ohms, it is measured in Watts, or milliWatts (mW) as you'll find often with headphone amps. Impedance only tells you how well power transfers, not how much power there is nor how much power headphones require to be driven well.

You should also be aware that impedance varies, both with headphones and amplifiers. If you go to Headroom, you'll find graphs of how the impedance of various headphones varies depending on frequency. Further, amplifier impedance varies depending on frequency. The interaction of the two is where you'll find the sound signature of a particular pair of headphones with a particular amp.

I strongly recommend reading up on basic electronics. You can also find a wealth of information over at Pete Millett's site.

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #77 of 80

Quote:
Right, I was talking about impedance matching, which is very different that power and sensitivity measurements. But impedance matching is still quite important for compatibility between a headphone and amplifier, and IMO you need to look at both factors to get an optimal match.

I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back