The Best Headphones ?
Jul 21, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #16 of 80

Quote:
I'd help you if I knew all their sound signatures. It might be easier for you to have a look at the respective appreciation threads and reviews for the headphones you are looking at as there will be posts on what the sound will be like and whether it suits the genres of music you listen to. There is no best headphone.

The 701/2 have good sound staging for gaming to some people and will have better synergy with classical genres, but some will find that it is bass light with electronic music, drum and bass, etc. But not everyone feels this way. I don't have any experience with the rest, but just look at some reviews to see whether it gets you any headway and then perhaps post what you found or with more detail and people will find it easier to chime in and comment.

I have looked at some reviews, but the reviews i have looked at contain headphones which are higher or lower than my price range.

I`m a novice in this Field so even if i did look at some reviews i could only bass my op ions on the starts received and comments like " but some will find that it is bass light with electronic music, drum and bass, etc. But not everyone feels this way. I don't have any"

So i need all the help i can get.

Help pleases?

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #17 of 80
confused_face(1).gif

is it just me or was there a thread just like this from yesterday that mysteriously vanished?
i replied to it regarding the dt990.
it would be my choice

Jul 21, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #18 of 80
If you are gaming, take the K701 off the list. They are great cans, but will do nothing for games. They rule classical/jazz. The bass is accurate, but has no impact. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #19 of 80

Quote:
If you are gaming, take the K701 off the list. They are great cans, but will do nothing for games. They rule classical/jazz. The bass is accurate, but has no impact. 

Alright 

I have been doing some research and found useful information for you guys to make the task of recommending the best possibly headphones for gaming and music ALOT EASIER.

[size=11.0pt]I want a pair of headphones which have fantastic sound and excellent sound stage so that i can direction the direction of sounds in game.[/size]

Also please consider these very important points before recommending a pair of headphones.

1. The Bass: I want the quality of the bass to be slightly on the light side, very well defined, tight, and with great definition and attack.

2. The Mid range : I want the quality of mids to be really are open and transparent, very rich but never to congested. I want sounds to be very natural and not overly chesty, or dry. 

3. Sound staging : I want the Depth to be really good and i want the to feel like its IN FRONT of me, not stuck “inside my head” like with other headphones.

4. The Treble : I want the treble to be really clean. I want no grain, spit or spit, the treble to be very natural , and no texture that detracts it from transparency.

I occasionally listen to general variety of music, but mainly hip hop and pop.

KNOW IF ONLY SOMEONE OUT THERE THAT COULD RECOMEND A PAIR OF HEADPHONES WHICH DO ALL OF THE THINGS I MENTIONED ABOVE WITHIN MY PRICE RANGE?

MY Budget is £150-£220

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #22 of 80
I would not describe the DT990 as having tight, slightly light bass. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #23 of 80

1. The Bass: I want the quality of the bass to be slightly on the light side, very well defined, tight, and with great definition and attack.

Do some listening, the bass on them is tight...great definition..i listen metal with them. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #24 of 80
I owned and regularly listened to 990s for over a year and found the bass unnaturally boosted for classical music. (The BIG midbass hump is clearly visible on the Headroom FR plot.) I don't think they fit the OP's criteria.

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #25 of 80

Quote:
I owned and regularly listened to 990s for over a year and found the bass unnaturally boosted for classical music. (The BIG midbass hump is clearly visible on the Headroom FR plot.) I don't think they fit the OP's criteria.

After 100 hours, the bass is smoother (it also depends from your source)...Well...its a matter of tastes IMHO. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #26 of 80

Quote:

let me copy + pasta, since you didn't reply to the 'Engaging phone' thread

Artificial mega-bass?
confused_face%281%29.gif
I find the bass on the 990's very swavy and natural in symphony/classical tracks. The bass has its own attack & decay style which i have never heard in any headphone.

what was your amp, and was it the 250 or 600ohm? You need a real clean signal for the 990's to perform their best. Maybe you got the inferior 250Ω  that is known for its awful mid-bass-hump errors and Nails on chalkboard treble?  I really want you to re-visit these headphone in the near future with better gear.

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #27 of 80
I haven't heard the 600 but I fully expect it has the same exaggerated midbass as the 250, as the FR plot barely differs from the 250 at all.

I frankly don't believe any of the hype about 600 ohm Beyers since there are no measurements that substantiate it. (I'd love to see the results of a double-blind listening test.)  Beyer probably makes them because some studio equipment is optimized for high-impedance cans.

If you like it, that's great. I have no quarrel with your preferences. But it doesn't fit the OP's stated preferences, and that's what I was addressing.

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #28 of 80

Quote:

Alright 

I have been doing some research and found useful information for you guys to make the task of recommending the best possibly headphones for gaming and music ALOT EASIER.

[size=11.0pt]I want a pair of headphones which have fantastic sound and excellent sound stage so that i can direction the direction of sounds in game.[/size]

Also please consider these very important points before recommending a pair of headphones.

2. The Mid range : I want the quality of mids to be really are open and transparent, very rich but never to congested. I want sounds to be very natural and not overly chesty, or dry. 

3. Sound staging : I want the Depth to be really good and i want the to feel like its IN FRONT of me, not stuck “inside my head” like with other headphones.

4. The Treble : I want the treble to be really clean. I want no grain, spit or spit, the treble to be very natural , and no texture that detracts it from transparency.

KNOW IF ONLY SOMEONE OUT THERE THAT COULD RECOMEND A PAIR OF HEADPHONES WHICH DO ALL OF THE THINGS I MENTIONED ABOVE WITHIN MY PRICE RANGE?

MY Budget is £150-£220

So you guys would recommend the DT990

Does this headphone manage to do all of the things i mentioned above ?

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #29 of 80
All I've heard is the K701 and the HD600. You won't be able to drive the K701 properly with your Astro Mixamp, so I recommend the HD600. The others are probably fine, its really comes down to subjective individual preferences and your individual head-related transfer function (look it up), meaning everyone hears differently. You could afford better Grados, look at the SR225i instead.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #30 of 80
So if i could drive the K701 properly that would be your best bet?

Could you guys recommend a good headphone which has a optical output and a ipod or mp3 input?

[size=11pt]I want a pair of headphones which have fantastic sound and excellent sound stage so that i can direction the direction of sounds in game.[/size]

MY Budget is £150-£220

Can somebody an answear this please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back