Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jul 5, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #3,256 of 5,133
For the moment yes...it's also just personal enjoyment, which for me often doesn't depend a lot on massive technical chops.
I busted out my HD600 headphones this week and I was surprised at how great they sounded and just how competitive they are with everything I own. They don't have the resolution of my kilobuck headphones, but they just sound so good.

Jul 5, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #3,257 of 5,133
I busted out my HD600 headphones this week and I was surprised at how great they sounded and just how competitive they are with everything I own. They don't have the resolution of my kilobuck headphones, but they just sound so good.

Yeah good tuning can go a long way. Isabellae makes it easy for me to understand how popular Trailli has been-- I can well imagine how that sort of tuning run through TOTL driver tech would just blow people's minds (and wallets).

Jul 5, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #3,260 of 5,133
Also, my wife just stole my BLON 03. I need a replacement. I was thinking of replacing it with a BLON 05. How do they compare? I prefer how the 2nd gen looks to the 3rd gen. I considered pairing it with an Orpheus, but I need it with a mic for telephone calls, so I got a different cable. Haha.

Blon 03 is better than the 05, but the 05S have a good reputation.
If the 03 fit you well, may as well get another. The 05S has a tuning with similar mids/highs but overall less bass. The CNT driver in it is quite good on the 05S, and really they are quite superbly balanced. The more recent 01, Mini and A8 Prometheus are quite different tunings than 03 or 05S. The Mini is actually my favourite so far. The sound has a bit of peak but I find you adjust to it and it helps create a sense of space. It's a deeper sound, more v-shaped than the 03 but the fit is fantastic. You actually get quite good isolation with them and can even rest your head on a pillow and listen to them. Cable is better than older Blons and tips work better with the tube design. Overall a pretty useful IEM that would fit in any kit.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #3,261 of 5,133
If the 03 fit you well, may as well get another. The 05S has a tuning with similar mids/highs but overall less bass. The CNT driver in it is quite good on the 05S, and really they are quite superbly balanced. The more recent 01, Mini and A8 Prometheus are quite different tunings than 03 or 05S. The Mini is actually my favourite so far. The sound has a bit of peak but I find you adjust to it and it helps create a sense of space. It's a deeper sound, more v-shaped than the 03 but the fit is fantastic. You actually get quite good isolation with them and can even rest your head on a pillow and listen to them. Cable is better than older Blons and tips work better with the tube design. Overall a pretty useful IEM that would fit in any kit.
Thanks. I think I am going to get another BLON 03 based on the feedback on this thread. I did order an A8 Prometheus, but that isn't going to get here for a while.

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #3,262 of 5,133
Kids' college funds...lol
The reason I can play in this hobby is my 2 of my kids are out of college and the third has a fully funded education account.

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #3,263 of 5,133
The reason I can play in this hobby is my 2 of my kids are out of college and the third has a fully funded education account.
The reason I can't play much in this hobby is I have one kid out of college that can't get a job, one kid about to go to college and a wife that would bankrupt Bill Gates:smile:

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #3,265 of 5,133
The reason I can't play much in this hobby is I have one kid out of college that can't get a job, one kid about to go to college and a wife that would bankrupt Bill Gates:smile:
The last 1.5 years has been tough for the new jobs market. The day my oldest got his first real job out of college was the day that our parenting approach was validated.

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #3,266 of 5,133
For the moment yes...it's also just personal enjoyment, which for me often doesn't depend a lot on massive technical chops.
It's more about reproducing the gestalt (soul) of the music versus technicalities with most of my music (though it requires listening to music that has a soul, not oversampled, electronic stuff), which is precisely why you've peaked my interest in Lady Isabelle.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #3,267 of 5,133
It's more about reproducing the gestalt (soul) of the music versus technicalities with most of my music (though it requires listening to music that has a soul, not oversampled, electronic stuff), which is precisely why you've peaked my interest in Lady Isabelle.

I hope you get a chance to hear her :). If your tastes are at all vocal/mid-range centred you won't be disappointed.

Jul 7, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #3,268 of 5,133
Okay so inserting a table isn't gonna work, so here's a screenshot of my broken down ranking list with scores out of 10 for each category:

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #3,269 of 5,133
Okay so inserting a table isn't gonna work, so here's a screenshot of my broken down ranking list with scores out of 10 for each category:

Untitled.jpg
it's sad that I cannot give a like to this post more than once.

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #3,270 of 5,133

Untitled.jpg
Hi, I don't see the Jh audio Jolene on the list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back