Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jul 11, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #3,286 of 5,136
Here’s my mid-fi list:
  1. Yanyin Moonlight
  2. Oriolus Isabellae
  3. Penon Serial
  4. Unique Melody 3DT
  5. LZ A7
Own or owned all, virtually impossible to demo in my area.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #3,288 of 5,136

June 22nd, 2021, update​

List updated, re-ordered and shortened after the arrival of the Sony IER-M9.

I will only list three because I'm frankly lazy.

The Solaris 2020 will go though ($).

✕​

1. Sony IER-M9 / $989.99

Link to write-up paired with Sony's ZX-507, including a comparison to the Solaris 2020
Perfection -- my personal benchmark, period.

Worthy of note: use Final E tips if you need 1-2mm more, their nozzle is short
Via: Sony ZX507, balanced

2. Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 / $1499

Link to write-up on Head Pie
Musical rather than analytical, natural yet detailed with some texture and not too smooth

Worthy of note: this is was it, nicely done
Via: Sony ZX507, single-ended

3. ...?

July 12th, 2021, update​

List updated, re-ordered and expended based on IEM types because why not :wink:

✕​

Dynamic Driver(s) (DD) only
  1. Oriolus Isabellae -- A keeper. Struggle(d?) to find the right tips. Worth the time and effort. Endgame material.
  2. Dita Project 71 -- Sold. Too uncomfortable, heavy and proprietary cable (not cool Dita).
  3. Apple Airpods Pro -- A keeper. Best convenience/price/sound for Apple/iOS users.

Balanced Armature(s) (BA) only
  1. Sony IER-M9 -- A keeper. Endgame laidback musicality and technicality when used balanced.
  2. Gaudio Labs Clariden -- Sold. Regretted it ever since but a fellow Head-Fier got 'em so :relaxed:
  3. Campfire Audio Andromeda Special Edition: Gold -- Sold. Mids too dished.

Hybrids+ only
  1. Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 -- A keeper. In-between the Isabellae & M9.
  2. 64 Audio Nio -- Sold. Too smooth.
  3. Campfire Audio Dorado 2020 -- Sold. Too shouty.

Current personal preference

Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 / Oriolus Isabellae (got tips?) / Sony IER-M9

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #3,289 of 5,136
Hey all, been lurking here for a while and decided to share my top 5 list for iems that I've demoed throughout the years.

I find that my IEM preferences differs depending on the type of songs I'm listening to so I've separated the ranking into my main 2 music genres.

Ballads

GOAT IER-M9 - Something about this IEM with emotional ballads just amplifies the melancholic state your in. It's the only IEM that I currently heard that makes me experience that I'm on cloud 9 with the way the vocals are positioned right in front of your face.​
  1. Cw-u77 - One trick female vocal
  2. IER-Z1R - The air/treble you get with female singers who have a husky voice is insane
  3. VE8 - Best with male vocal
  4. ODIN / U12T / Viento
  5. Elysium / IER-M7 / KSE 1500 / Andro 2020

POP/EDM
GOAT - Still searching​
  1. IER Z1R / Odin -Tied for best bass I've heard in an iem
  2. Trio
  3. U12T / MEST
  4. Legend X
  5. IER-M9 - Funny enough the M9 is a different experience when listening to energetic songs, it just dosn't have that bass impact to fully satisfy me.

Just some songs examples for you guys to get an idea of what I listen to

Ballads

Pop/EDM

Jul 12, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #3,290 of 5,136
Jul 14, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #3,291 of 5,136
Hey all, been lurking here for a while and decided to share my top 5 list for iems that I've demoed throughout the years.

I find that my IEM preferences differs depending on the type of songs I'm listening to so I've separated the ranking into my main 2 music genres.

Ballads

GOAT IER-M9 - Something about this IEM with emotional ballads just amplifies the melancholic state your in. It's the only IEM that I currently heard that makes me experience that I'm on cloud 9 with the way the vocals are positioned right in front of your face.​
  1. Cw-u77 - One trick female vocal
  2. IER-Z1R - The air/treble you get with female singers who have a husky voice is insane
  3. VE8 - Best with male vocal
  4. ODIN / U12T / Viento
  5. Elysium / IER-M7 / KSE 1500 / Andro 2020

POP/EDM
GOAT - Still searching​
  1. IER Z1R / Odin -Tied for best bass I've heard in an iem
  2. Trio
  3. U12T / MEST
  4. Legend X
  5. IER-M9 - Funny enough the M9 is a different experience when listening to energetic songs, it just dosn't have that bass impact to fully satisfy me.

Just some songs examples for you guys to get an idea of what I listen to

Ballads

Pop/EDM

Which tips are you using with the M9?

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #3,292 of 5,136
Bold = still own

OG MEST - sounded great, 3D sound, excellent tuning (BASS!), very tip dependent, went back and forth trying to decide if i really wanted to sell them since i really liked them, ultimately sold to buy Tia Trio

64 Audio Tia Trio - had VERY HIGH expectations for these, sounded pretty good but was let down that they didnt meet my expectations of them, detailed and textured bass without being overpowering, probably would have sold anyways but ended off selling them to pay off unexpected bills

Dunu SA6 -fits me perfectly, love the cable and connection adapters included, great price/performance ratio, i enjoy the tuning, main IEM now when listening to music/gaming (have been using HD880S recently to compare the imaging)

Moondrop S8 - great isolation, great fit, sounded good, but was not worth the price paid IMO, returned to try other IEMs

Fearless S8Z - really clear and detailed, but bass was too BA bass for my tastes, returned to try other IEMs (you might start seeing a pattern here)

LZ A7 - very good tuning, great accessories to adjust sound preference, unexpectedly broke, returned

KBear Believe - TBH, not really sure where to rate these since i havent listened to them in a while since getting the SA6, return window closed LOL

Ikko OH10 - great fit, bass is on par with SA6, energetic, initially returned but wife really liked them so i purchased again

Fiio FH7 - clean sound, a little bit sibilant with some songs, returned to try out other IEMs

Fiio FH5 - sounded close to the FH7 with more low end, but didnt have anything stand out, returned to try other IEMs (ended up buying a pair for a friend since he liked the FH5 over the FH7)

Thieaudio Legacy 3 - great fit for my ears, decent sound but nothing stood out above other IEMs i had, returned to try other IEMs

TIN HiFi P1 - had very high expectations for these but they didnt WOW me, might have been a reason i returned them, bass sounded good, but nothing top tier, returned to try other IEMs

BLON BL-01 - nothing outstanding, basically my "dont care if i lose" IEMs

Moondrop Starfield - good for the price...thats about it, nothing stood out to me as above average, disappointed from all the hype they received, returned to try other IEMs

TIN HiFi T2 Plus - bought due to hype, didnt impress me, returned to try other IEMs

BLON BL-03 - didnt live up to the hype for me, dont remember how they sound (nothing impressed me), didnt compare to the BL01, returned

KZ ZSX - worst in ears i have ever heard, sent back immediately

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #3,293 of 5,136
Bold = still own

OG MEST - sounded great, 3D sound, excellent tuning (BASS!), very tip dependent, went back and forth trying to decide if i really wanted to sell them since i really liked them, ultimately sold to buy Tia Trio

64 Audio Tia Trio - had VERY HIGH expectations for these, sounded pretty good but was let down that they didnt meet my expectations of them, detailed and textured bass without being overpowering, probably would have sold anyways but ended off selling them to pay off unexpected bills

Dunu SA6 -fits me perfectly, love the cable and connection adapters included, great price/performance ratio, i enjoy the tuning, main IEM now when listening to music/gaming (have been using HD880S recently to compare the imaging)

Moondrop S8 - great isolation, great fit, sounded good, but was not worth the price paid IMO, returned to try other IEMs

Fearless S8Z - really clear and detailed, but bass was too BA bass for my tastes, returned to try other IEMs (you might start seeing a pattern here)

LZ A7 - very good tuning, great accessories to adjust sound preference, unexpectedly broke, returned

KBear Believe - TBH, not really sure where to rate these since i havent listened to them in a while since getting the SA6, return window closed LOL

Ikko OH10 - great fit, bass is on par with SA6, energetic, initially returned but wife really liked them so i purchased again

Fiio FH7 - clean sound, a little bit sibilant with some songs, returned to try out other IEMs

Fiio FH5 - sounded close to the FH7 with more low end, but didnt have anything stand out, returned to try other IEMs (ended up buying a pair for a friend since he liked the FH5 over the FH7)

Thieaudio Legacy 3 - great fit for my ears, decent sound but nothing stood out above other IEMs i had, returned to try other IEMs

TIN HiFi P1 - had very high expectations for these but they didnt WOW me, might have been a reason i returned them, bass sounded good, but nothing top tier, returned to try other IEMs

BLON BL-01 - nothing outstanding, basically my "dont care if i lose" IEMs

Moondrop Starfield - good for the price...thats about it, nothing stood out to me as above average, disappointed from all the hype they received, returned to try other IEMs

TIN HiFi T2 Plus - bought due to hype, didnt impress me, returned to try other IEMs

BLON BL-03 - didnt live up to the hype for me, dont remember how they sound (nothing impressed me), didnt compare to the BL01, returned

KZ ZSX - worst in ears i have ever heard, sent back immediately
What about the trio didn’t meet your expectations if you don’t mind me asking?

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #3,294 of 5,136
What about the trio didn’t meet your expectations if you don’t mind me asking?
I think I had the highest of the highest expectations: brain rumbling bass, angelic mids, and crystal clear highs. The soundstage seemed smaller than the MEST I sold for it. The Tio admittedly sounded more cohesive and less "fun" than the MEST, but didn't blow me away when I heard it. Don't get me wrong, I did like them, I just didn't consider it my "endgame" like I thought they would be.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #3,295 of 5,136
I think I had the highest of the highest expectations: brain rumbling bass, angelic mids, and crystal clear highs. The soundstage seemed smaller than the MEST I sold for it. The Tio admittedly sounded more cohesive and less "fun" than the MEST, but didn't blow me away when I heard it. Don't get me wrong, I did like them, I just didn't consider it my "endgame" like I thought they would be.
Fair enough!

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #3,296 of 5,136

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #3,297 of 5,136
1 EE Legend X
2 64 Audio Tia Trio'
3 Campfire Dorado 2020
4 Campfire Andromeda
5 Etymotic Er4 Xr
6 Westone W60
7 Shure 846

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #3,298 of 5,136
1 EE Legend X
2 64 Audio Tia Trio'
3 Campfire Dorado 2020
4 Campfire Andromeda
5 Etymotic Er4 Xr
6 Westone W60
7 Shure 846
Other than the bass, is there anything else that the LX does much better than the Trio? The LX (and Odin) is on my short list of IEMs I want to check out due to the monster bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back