Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jan 30, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #6,151 of 8,136
It seems I update on here once a year.

EnigmAcoustics Dharma D1000 w Black Dragon Cable
Focal Elear w Silver Dragon Cable
ZMF Ori
ZMF Blackwood w pure silver ZMF cable
Shure 1540
Ultimate Ears UE 500 pro (currently broken)

I have and love the AKG K340's and am DYING to track down a pair of Dharmas. Glad to see a user who still has them

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #6,152 of 8,136
1. Utopias
2. LCD-X (trying to get rid of these)
3. Aeon Flow Closed
4. Lyra II
5. SINE (trying to get rid of these too)

The Utopias are keepers for all the right reasons, but unsuitable for me for longer, more passive listening sessions due to fatigue. The LCD-X's I find slightly disappointing in about 6 different ways (comfort being the top among them), so am strategizing on a replacement for the #2 slot.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #6,155 of 8,136
Short list since I'm a noob
1. he 400i
2. Grado sr80e
Although, I do prefer the signature of the Grados, music is just more fun to listen to when I'm using them. Looking to get rid of both and buy a nicer Grado
I'd mod the SR80e, might be cheaper than buying a SR225e (which is where I'd say is the minimum to upgrade to) Mods: try different ear pads like generic G-pads ($4-5), OEM G-pads ($35-40), dynamat in the cups, remove button or put felt on the back of it), dynamat or sorbothane on the back of the driver.

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #6,156 of 8,136
I'd mod the SR80e, might be cheaper than buying a SR225e (which is where I'd say is the minimum to upgrade to) Mods: try different ear pads like generic G-pads ($4-5), OEM G-pads ($35-40), dynamat in the cups, remove button or put felt on the back of it), dynamat or sorbothane on the back of the driver.
I was thinking of trying out some different pads for them, but doing anything with the drivers terrifies me. Especially because they're glued in, it seems like it would be tough to get them back in just the right position

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #6,157 of 8,136
I was thinking of trying out some different pads for them, but doing anything with the drivers terrifies me. Especially because they're glued in, it seems like it would be tough to get them back in just the right position
Opening the cups is one of the easiest things to do and dynamat and sorbothane are removable so you can undo these mods. I'd suggest going to the Grado modders thread here

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #6,158 of 8,136
canNobie - or try Alessandro MS1 with MS1000 mod (it is diy distancer + Grado big pads). I liked them more than clasical Grado models. Becouse sound is not as forward, bigger soundstage, also more comfy, for price it is very interesting mainly for Grado fans :)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #6,160 of 8,136
1. Utopias
2. LCD-X (trying to get rid of these)
3. Aeon Flow Closed
4. Lyra II
5. SINE (trying to get rid of these too)

The Utopias are keepers for all the right reasons, but unsuitable for me for longer, more passive listening sessions due to fatigue. The LCD-X's I find slightly disappointing in about 6 different ways (comfort being the top among them), so am strategizing on a replacement for the #2 slot.
I don't understand what people find so disappointing about the LCD-X? Besides the weight obv. Like, I know they aren't as mids-focused as some HP but they're way more neutral than the rest of the Audeze warm-af lineup. Also, I've found if I power them through tubes (Valhalla 1 for me) the soundstage gets much larger which adds a bit of versatility to them I do like. I've tried to trade and sell mine as well and everyone I've shown them to also seem to not like them (which is really annoying when you're trying to sell).

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #6,161 of 8,136
Also, I've found if I power them through tubes (Valhalla 1 for me) the soundstage gets much larger which adds a bit of versatility to them I do like.

I agree, the soundstage is very nice and open on the X's, which makes a nice change of pace from my primary headphones sometimes.

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #6,164 of 8,136
Not many in this list but love them all for different reasons:

Sennheiser hd600: neutral and accurate
Shure srh1540: loads of fun, love the bass!
Audio Technica msr7: ideal portable for me and the other half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back