Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jan 21, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #6,121 of 8,131
Ok Richard,
I read your thread about using pebbles on the electrical grid. You took some flack on your thoughts but you've stayed true to your beliefs. I still don't understand how wrapping pebbles/crystals up in some type of mesh bag and lay them on the electrical runs outside of your home is magically going to clean up my static/distortion issues. Is there something in the certain type of rocks or pebbles that you use that has some bearing on the current running to your house? :)
I'm having such a ground loop issue now that I just can't figure out, that hell, I'm ready to sprinkle fairy dust on or drink some unicorn milk, spit it on my PC and gear to clean this up. I'd appreciate it if you'd enlighten everyone in cliff notes style for everyone who hasn't read your take on your above statement.

I dont think that this thread is appropriate for that.... Ask me any question on my thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/top...d-is-it-possible.864928/page-17#post-13989974

By the way nobody I know of can explain why crystals and stones act like they act.... And for your ground loop problem no stones can cure that....Try other means with help from informed people for that....After that it will be my pleasure to propose to you low cost experiment to better your system on this thread....Thanks for your interest,my best to you...

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #6,123 of 8,131
I agree but you did bring it up.
I appreciate the response.

Yes I bring it up but cannot go on with details about that here.... Good luck with this ground loop problem... After that come and we will try something very low cost to try to improve your system...

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #6,125 of 8,131
Hifiman HE-500. Still my flagship.
Grado SR125i. Don't listen them that much but when listening to acoustic jazz.........
Hifiman HE-400. A recent purchase that is relegated to portable use around the house.
Grado SR325i. If the cable were shorter,I would use it instead of the 400.
Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2. Only when I want to overdose on bass.
Fostex T40RP MKII. If the clamping were not so loose,I would use them more.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #6,126 of 8,131
I've been away from head-fi for a few years, but have always thought that the collective information in this thread is gold. Has anyone ever organized or analyzed the responses in this thread? There is so much collective experience here that is quantitatively organized, it could be the basis for a definitive rating system for all good headphones.

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #6,127 of 8,131
Been awhile, and before anyone comments know a couple things. Yes, I know I have a lot of over lap in my collection. And that in a few months time I should be moving. When that happens there will be a grand sale of all the stuff I don't want anymore. So, here goes, from the top.

LCD-2.2F, Fostex TH900 MK1, Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro, ZMF Ori, Philips X2, Hifiman HE560, Fostex TH610, Fostex T40RP, Mrspeakers Ether, Audioquest NightHawks, Grado RS2e, Grado SR225e, Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm, RHB HP-2, Sennheiser Momentum over ear, Thinksound ON2, Senn. HD598, Senn. HD558, Senn. HD650, Fostex TH500RP, Kennerton Vali, Kennerton Magister Lite.

IEMs - iBasso IT01, Fiio F9pro, Fiio F5, Beyerdynamic iDX200, 1More Quad.

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #6,128 of 8,131
Been awhile, and before anyone comments know a couple things. Yes, I know I have a lot of over lap in my collection. And that in a few months time I should be moving. When that happens there will be a grand sale of all the stuff I don't want anymore. So, here goes, from the top.

LCD-2.2F, Fostex TH900 MK1, Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro, ZMF Ori, Philips X2, Hifiman HE560, Fostex TH610, Fostex T40RP, Mrspeakers Ether, Audioquest NightHawks, Grado RS2e, Grado SR225e, Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm, RHB HP-2, Sennheiser Momentum over ear, Thinksound ON2, Senn. HD598, Senn. HD558, Senn. HD650, Fostex TH500RP, Kennerton Vali, Kennerton Magister Lite.

IEMs - iBasso IT01, Fiio F9pro, Fiio F5, Beyerdynamic iDX200, 1More Quad.

Both Kennertons are at the bottom of your list? How come?

I've been away from head-fi for a few years, but have always thought that the collective information in this thread is gold. Has anyone ever organized or analyzed the responses in this thread? There is so much collective experience here that is quantitatively organized, it could be the basis for a definitive rating system for all good headphones.

I actually remember someone saying that exact same thing a few years ago on this thread (maybe it was you), the consensus then was that it would take way to long to go through every post and create a meaningful metric to measure everything. Also, theres only a handful of head-fiers that own grail cans like the K1000, original Orpheus's, Abyss, MDR-R10 and so on that they'd be dominated by midrange giants like the HE-500, HD6X0, Beyer DT-series and AKG K/Q headphones. Top of the pack would be a predictable HD800, LCD-2/3/4/X, TH-900, HE-(whichever model) and upper end Grado's

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #6,129 of 8,131
Both Kennertons are at the bottom of your list? How come?

I actually remember someone saying that exact same thing a few years ago on this thread (maybe it was you), the consensus then was that it would take way to long to go through every post and create a meaningful metric to measure everything. Also, theres only a handful of head-fiers that own grail cans like the K1000, original Orpheus's, Abyss, MDR-R10 and so on that they'd be dominated by midrange giants like the HE-500, HD6X0, Beyer DT-series and AKG K/Q headphones. Top of the pack would be a predictable HD800, LCD-2/3/4/X, TH-900, HE-(whichever model) and upper end Grado's
I like the sound of the Vali, but it's the only thing I do like about them. They are the single most uncomfortable thing I've ever tried to wear. I can not get them in a position that I either feel like they're going off my head any second, or pushing against me ears with the most uncomfortable pads I've experienced. And they're heavy. I know the LCD-2 gets a lot of stick for being heavy. And it is. And yet I've never felt it to be uncomfortable on my head. The Magister is the Lite version, and I will admit I have no idea how the full blown version sounds. But the set I have are just boring sounding cans that also are .... wait for it ... uncomfortable! Tons of head clamp. And the way the headband is made I don't think I can bend it against the grain to loosen it up. And I almost forgot, the cord for the Vali makes Grado cords look good. That about sums it up.

Jan 26, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #6,130 of 8,131

Agree strongly with this. I have been out for a while as well. I have basically gone through all the threads and made a list of the phones that seem to come up the most and for what it is worth I had the following (this is not intended to cause an argument and I have likely missed some great phones):

Sennheiser HD-600

Senheiser HD-650M

DT880

Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 ohm

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro

Beyerdynamic T1

Sennheiser HD-800S

Mr. Speakers Ether Flow C

AKG Q701

AKG K712 Pro

AKG 812 Pro

FOCAL Utopia

Audeze LCD-4

EMU Teak w/Rosewood cups

Fostex TH-X00 w/EMU Ebony cups

TH-900

AudioQuest NightHawk

HiFiMAN HE1000

ZMF Auteur

Jan 26, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #6,131 of 8,131
Agree strongly with this. I have been out for a while as well. I have basically gone through all the threads and made a list of the phones that seem to come up the most and for what it is worth I had the following (this is not intended to cause an argument and I have likely missed some great phones):

Sennheiser HD-600

Senheiser HD-650M

DT880

Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 ohm

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro

Beyerdynamic T1

Sennheiser HD-800S

Mr. Speakers Ether Flow C

AKG Q701

AKG K712 Pro

AKG 812 Pro

FOCAL Utopia

Audeze LCD-4

EMU Teak w/Rosewood cups

Fostex TH-X00 w/EMU Ebony cups

TH-900

AudioQuest NightHawk

HiFiMAN HE1000

ZMF Auteur

Jan 26, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #6,132 of 8,131
This list is already deficient as I missed out the Stax phones!

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #6,133 of 8,131
Thanks for the news. Yes, it would be a huge pain to go through all the posts and collect all the entries but if somebody did it wouldn't be too hard to write a program that would find the collective rank of every headphone. The time, treasure and dedication spent by this community must be in the millions of hours and dollars and feels.

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #6,135 of 8,131
I suggest when people make a list of your preferred headphones, please specify genre of music you are used to listened to. That would be much helpful than only listing the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back