Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Dec 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #2,491 of 8,134
Yet another headphone (two actually) and some other changes.

1: Sony MDR-SA3000
Bright and super detailed. Amazing soundstage. Entire sound spectrum is airy and expansive, and the highs are beautiful. Detailed yet smooth. Light and comfy. Bass-light, doesn't work well with some genres. Open backed, no isolation. Very easy to drive but is very revealing of poor equipment and source. Build quality on these scares me a bit, they feel like I should be very gentle with them.

2: Beyerdynamic DT1350: 
Neutral, lots of detail. Analytical as hell. Fastest decay of any headphone I've heard. Absolutely bottomless low end and awesome treble extension. Small but good soundstage. Comfort is just about as good as a supra-aural can is gonna get. Easy to drive, but very DAC dependent. 

3: KOSS Pro/4AAA: 
Neutral with a slight tilt towards dark. Has rolled off treble. Awesome soundstage, especially for a closed can. Bass extends very low but rolls off after 15Hz. Nicely detailed, good decay. Needs an amp. Fairly heavy. Not the most comfy can in the world but not uncomfortable by any means. Nearly perfect isolation.

4: Numark HV-215V: 
Warm. Good treble and good bass. Slightly larger soundstage than DT1350. Not much detail but still has some. Slightly heavy but by far the most comfortable supra-aural can I've ever worn save for the unpadded headband. Easy to power. Doesn't have much sub-bass and the clarity isn't optimal, but still a good headphone.

5: Pioneer SE-500:
Small soundstage with the best imaging I've ever heard. Sound just emanates from nowhere. Good highs, good mids. Slightly less detail than the Pro/4AAA. Absolutely bass-less. Bad isolation. Requires a very powerful amp. Gets a little bit uncomfortable (hot) after a long listening session.

6: KOSS Reference One:
Very similar to the Pro/4AAA but even darker due to less treble. Deeper low end, but slightly veiled sound. Forward upper mids. Slightly smaller soundstage than 4AAA and less detail as well. Absolutely perfect isolation. I have never heard a headphone that isolates this well. Since I have the 4AAA, the only reason I'd use these is if I had to mow the lawn or something.

7: Pioneer SE-700:
Why did I rank the SE-700 lower than the 500? Pioneer tried too hard to give a piezoelectric headphone bass. Piezoelectric diaphragms aren't made to produce bass: the bass that the SE-700 has is sloppy and bad. It takes away from the rest of the sound. Otherwise it's almost identical to the SE-500. Maybe I'm not amping it properly. Maybe my unit has some QC issues. Idk.

8: KOSS K/6X Plus: 
Neutral with a tilt towards the bright side. Good sparkly treble. Slightly sloppy bass. Very sensitive. No real details, just fake treble detail. No soundstage, no imaging. Bad comfort, and the cable sucks. Can't use them due to a channel imbalance, but I'm holding onto them because they were my first headphone.

9: Audio Technica ATH-M50:
Don't like these anymore. Recessed and grainy mids, no real bass, extremely rude treble that jumps out at you from behind a corner and slaps you upside the head. No soundstage, no imaging. No real detail. Fairly comfortable but fall off my head way too easily. Keeping them because they were a gift.

10: AKG K240 Studio:
Tight airy bass, liquid mids, and beautiful highs, but has no control of the diaphragm. Doesn't have detail, and has very slow decay. Dense songs sound like utter **** on these. Very comfy and light, nice cable, good soundstage. Diffuse imaging. I want to love these headphones so much, but I just don't.

11: Audatron SH-608R: 
Wal-Mart clone of the Numark HV-215V. Very Beats-esque with a stupidly overwhelming midbass hump, no treble, and an absolutely piercing upper mids spike. No detail. Meh soundstage, meh imaging. Used as a guinea pig for mods. Might get rid of them.

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #2,492 of 8,134
Quote:
1. Senny HD650 + Lyr
2. Senny HD650 + Lyr
3. Westone 4*
4. AKG K500
5. DT1350
6. DT990
7. DT770
8. CKM99*
9. TF10*
10. Philips Uptown
11. JVC S500
12. the rest......
* Iem's included.
Yes HD650 took first two spots on purpose
biggrin.gif

Finding your ranking is handy. So far I am up to your ranking #12, #11 and #10 lol! I think that I might save myself some time, money and fun by just shooting for your #1 ranking. Sadly, I'll have to save up for a while for those puppies lol:
http://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-650-Lightweight-Audiophile/dp/B00018MSNI

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #2,493 of 8,134
Based on everything that i've heard:
1. Sennheiser hd650
2. Sennheiser hd598
3. Beyerdynamic dt880
4. Denon d2000
5. Sennheiser hd25-1 ii
6. V-moda m80
7. Vsonic gr01
8. Ultrasone pro 900

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #2,494 of 8,134
1. Beats by Dr. Dre Pro
2. Grado SR80i
3. Sennheiser HD 580
4.Klipsch X10
5. Sony XB-700
6. Panasonic RP- HTX7
7.Klipsch S4i

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #2,496 of 8,134
Quote:
I just died a little inside.

I do prefer them over the rest of the headphones I currently have. I'm sure they aren't the best headphones for the price, but I do enjoy them by quite a margin compared to the rest of the headphones I own. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #2,497 of 8,134
Since I only have one pair of headphones, I'll update my ranking of all the headphones I've ever owned.

1. Sony MDR-CD900ST

2.A. AKG K601

2.B. AKG K501: I'm definitely loving these headphones. Right now I'd put them about on par with the K601s, though I could see myself putting them above the K601s in the future. I really like the sound. Their treble is much more present, but not razor sharp, and their mid range is quite detailed. I'm also getting much better soundstage from these than I did with the K601s. The flip side, is they have much less bass, and I kind of liked the warmer mids of the K601s. The K501s at times sound just a touch thin, and with some music that fullness is a must. The other thing I like more on the K601s is the comfort. While it's still generally the same, the itchy pads set the K501s back a bit. I'm sure shaving the beard would probably remove that complaint, though!
biggrin.gif

3. AKG K271

4. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80

5. Sony MDR-7509

6. Ultrasone Pro 750

7. Koss Pro DJ 100

8. Sony MDR-V6

9. Sony MDR-XB700

10. Sony MDR-ZX700

11. AKG K81DJ

12. Koss KSC-75

Just because I've described why I ranked them as I did before, I didn't put any additional info here. My original ranking of all my headphones can be viewed here.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #2,498 of 8,134
1. Sennheiser HD 600: These do everything right, and are ridiculously comfortable after reducing clamp - great all rounders.
2. Denon AH D7000: Fun fun fun headphones. Crystal clear, but a bit too much sub bass to be my go to cans.
3. Koss TBSE1: A budget headphone with great mids. I find myself reaching for these very often at home and for portable use.
4. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80: Nice soundstage for closed cans. Great isolation, great bass, but recessed mids keep these on the shelf.
5. Grado SR225i: Energetic and addictive mids, but fatiguing signature. Amazing cans for 20 minutes at a time and for listening to vinyl.
6. Koss PortaPro: Fun, bassy little cans for on the go. I'd use them more often if they were more comfortable.
7. Audio Technica ATH M30: These lean toward neutral and are very easy to listen to. My first set of cans, so they have nostalgia value.
8. Audio Technica ATH M50: Bought these for portable use, and since the TBSE1's have replaced them, they have sat on the shelf unused.
9. Sennheiser HD 202: I liked these back in the day before I had my other cans. Muddy bass, and earcups are too small for over ear.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #2,500 of 8,134
Ranking them according to how much I enjoy listening to them:

1. Sennheiser IE80 - great bass, nice soundstage and make almost everything I listen to sound perfect.
2. Sennheiser Momentum - Nicely balanced, very smooth sounding. I'd take these over the IE80s for live music (except for the soundstage, IMO).
3. Monster Turbine Pro Copper - Great detail retrieval, just enough tight bass and favourable isolation.
4. Astro A40 - Although a little light on the bass for me, they sound excellent with jazz and pop.
5. Beats by Dr. Dre Pro - For my EDM tastes, the Beats are simply awesome.
6. Koss Portapro - Bass-heavy, but good fun to listen to.
7. Bose QC15 - Top of the class for ANC, but they sound a little hollow to me (mids and highs). The bass seems out of place.
8. Sennheiser PX250 - They sound better to me than the QC15s, both in passive and active mode, but I can't get over that huge Noisegard thing and the on-ear fit.
9. Audio Technica CK500 'key' earphones - My sister's, but they're not terrible for $15.
10. Klipsch Image S4 - Bass bloat doesn't bother me so much with EDM, and they're best used on the go.
11. Apple Earpods - They sound much better than the iBuds, but I don't love the way they sound.
12. Astro A* Stars - They look pretty cool, but they're prone to sibilance, and the bass is out of control.

I've some Klipsch X10s coming in January. I wonder where they'll fit in?

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #2,501 of 8,134
Open: K701

Closed: SRH940

IEM: MH1C

I still own about 30 iems and 20 other cans, but i do not use them. Besides them, i would have liked to keep some more, but could not afford it. if the would still be mine, list would be as:

1. K701: Love them for their soundstage, details, silky smooth treble and deep and dry bass.

2. HD598: Compared it for a long time with the 701 and came to the conclusion, that while the soundstage of the senn is narrow, it extends so deep, you really think, that sound is coming from in front of you. loved it. but the akg takes an edge on detail and effortlessness.

3. SRH940: Never sounds like a close can. lots of air great rumbling deep bass, perfekt layering for movies.

4. UE11pro: Best detail, Best timbre, best separation, but very limited soundstage.

5. Custom TF10 (still owning it): Absolutely love the sound, but i hate the handling of custom shells, so they do not get any listening time anymore. the few times i need iems, i grab the mh1c over them.

6. Koss Pro 100DJ: Still own them and moded them to sound nearly as my srh940. wanted to use it as a portable, but it seems to be too bulky. not much a step forward in portability compared to my shures.

7. IE80: Still own them. sound good but well, its an iem.

All in all, i think, iems have more technical abilitys, but i simply cannot handle them any longer. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #2,502 of 8,134
Quote:
Open: K701

Closed: SRH940

IEM: MH1C

I still own about 30 iems and 20 other cans, but i do not use them. Besides them, i would have liked to keep some more, but could not afford it. if the would still be mine, list would be as:

1. K701: Love them for their soundstage, details, silky smooth treble and deep and dry bass.

2. HD598: Compared it for a long time with the 701 and came to the conclusion, that while the soundstage of the senn is narrow, it extends so deep, you really think, that sound is coming from in front of you. loved it. but the akg takes an edge on detail and effortlessness.

3. SRH940: Never sounds like a close can. lots of air great rumbling deep bass, perfekt layering for movies.

4. UE11pro: Best detail, Best timbre, best separation, but very limited soundstage.

5. Custom TF10 (still owning it): Absolutely love the sound, but i hate the handling of custom shells, so they do not get any listening time anymore. the few times i need iems, i grab the mh1c over them.

6. Koss Pro 100DJ: Still own them and moded them to sound nearly as my srh940. wanted to use it as a portable, but it seems to be too bulky. not much a step forward in portability compared to my shures.

7. IE80: Still own them. sound good but well, its an iem.

All in all, i think, iems have more technical abilitys, but i simply cannot handle them any longer. 

srh 940 and bass dont go very well together... I find the 940s bass to be anemic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back