Dec 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #2,508 of 8,138
Quote:
1. HD650
2. ....the rest......

L3000.gif
Nice to see you really took to the HD650 + Lyr

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #2,510 of 8,138
Quote:
^yup. hardly using anything else since I got em. Thanx.
beerchug.gif

When did you get them? Better than the uptowns lol? Would getting the HD650's put a stop to the head-fi madness?

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #2,511 of 8,138
1. hd650-with a good amp these are a talented performer. With a great amp, they are just down right talented. Uber comfortable. Exceptional fit and finish if you're okay with plenty of plastic. Incredibly musical with most material. You could buy these and a good amp and call it end game...well, I know that I could. 

Weakness-still looking 
wink.gif

2. Maddogs-I think somewhat of a darkhorse around here. Earning a reputation for a deliciously smooth orthodynamic sound. The signature is cohesive across the spectrum with a touch of warmth around the bottom end. Fantastic isolation and has a rugged tank like build. Scales about as well as the hd650. 

Weakness-some may consider the slight darkness a con...I don't. 

3. he400-despite taking some deserved heat for production issues, this is a beautiful headphone. The second best bass that I've ever heard. Only second to the lcd2r2. This is not flabby exaggerated or boomy bass. It is rich with texture and impact. Great with Jazz, Pop and anything with a nice bass-line. Very good sound stage and a good all rounder. 

Weakness-heaviest and least comfortable of the three. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #2,512 of 8,138
The Maddogs are darker than the HD650?
Quote:
1. hd650-with a good amp these are a talented performer. With a great amp, they are just down right talented. Uber comfortable. Exceptional fit and finish if you're okay with plenty of plastic. Incredibly musical with most material. You could buy these and a good amp and call it end game...well, I know that I could. 

Weakness-still looking 
wink.gif

2. Maddogs-I think somewhat of a darkhorse around here. Earning a reputation for a deliciously smooth orthodynamic sound. The signature is cohesive across the spectrum with a touch of warmth around the bottom end. Fantastic isolation and has a rugged tank like build. Scales about as well as the hd650. 

Weakness-some may consider the slight darkness a con...I don't. 

3. he400-despite taking some deserved heat for production issues, this is a beautiful headphone. The second best bass that I've ever heard. Only second to the lcd2r2. This is not flabby exaggerated or boomy bass. It is rich with texture and impact. Great with Jazz, Pop and anything with a nice bass-line. Very good sound stage and a good all rounder. 

Weakness-heaviest and least comfortable of the three. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #2,513 of 8,138
^^ Yes. With the dogpads the maddogs are darker than the 650. The 650's, at least the newest version, is not as dark as what people say they are. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #2,514 of 8,138
Yea, I had an HD650 a little over a year ago. It wasn't terribly dark, but it wasn't as revealing as my current Q701. 
Quote:
^^ Yes. With the dogpads the maddogs are darker than the 650. The 650's, at least the newest version, is not as dark as what people say that are. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #2,516 of 8,138
Quote:
tell me more, tell me more, I'm interested in the K701/Q701. The beyers i'm using right now will be put on sale for something else, HD650 still reigns king though

Easy, easy. You got a real beast with the 650. Just hang on to it and enjoy. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #2,517 of 8,138
I'll tell it just like everyone else tells it. The Q701 is less warm and less bassy, and more treble happy. Overall it's more analytical and detailed. The HD650 is a great headphone, I just prefer the sound of the Q701. Plus, i can always EQ in a little more warmth and bass if I want it.
Quote:
tell me more, tell me more, I'm interested in the K701/Q701. The beyers i'm using right now will be put on sale for something else, HD650 still reigns king though

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #2,518 of 8,138
well my friend has the K601 which i actually like which is weird given how much i like the HD650. I struggle to like the sound of the beyers (personal prefs), so yea im looking for a second set of headphones, might check out the audio technica lounge tomorrow

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #2,519 of 8,138
Quote:

When did you get them? Better than the uptowns lol? Would getting the HD650's put a stop to the head-fi madness?

Don't get the 650 my friend.  It will ruin everything.  No more buying headphones all the time... what would you do?  My life is now over... :)

Seriously though.  With the right amp these things far surpass any ideas I previously had about them.  Very much worth their price tag IMO.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #2,520 of 8,138
Quote:
Don't get the 650 my friend.  It will ruin everything.  No more buying headphones all the time... what would you do?  My life is now over... :)

That's what I am worried about also. I don't know if I can live without this "cheap-phones-buying-addiction" lol.

Quote:
Seriously though.  With the right amp these things far surpass any ideas I previously had about them.  Very much worth their price tag IMO.

And the right amp seems to be the Lyr, so there's another $400
eek.gif
   Maybe I will instead just stay addicted and continue going broke nice and slowly. Somics... here I come lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back