Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Nov 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #2,461 of 8,138
Quote:
Quote:
There is no closed 4AAAT.

The 4AAA was quite good, I already know that. I don't know about the 4AAAT.

No, there is a closed, modern, PRO4 with Titanium drivers. To the Koss-mobile!

From the Koss-mobile:
It appears that the closed model is "PRO4AAT" and the open model is "PRO4AAAT" - like I said, too many A's to keep it all straight. So it would be the "AAT" that is a pass.

The original 4AA wasn't very good either, so that's to be expected.

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #2,463 of 8,138
Original post edited to show my headphone rankings based on audio chain. Of the cans I've spent considerable time with...

1. Audio-GD Reference 1 > Stax srm-323s > Stax 007 mk2
This was my roommates setup. Sound is very euphonic, smooth and lush, with a huge soundstage. The reference 1 DAC was critical part of the chain. The 007 did not sound as magical with my Antelope Zodiac Plus,  Audio-gd NFB10ES, and even my less burned-in Reference 7 at the time.

2. Antelope Zodiac Plus > Earmax > Sennheiser HD650
Sound is very musical, euphonic, and vocals are lifelike with a lot of emotion. I can listen to this combination endlessly without any listener fatigue. The Zodiac took away the hd650 veil and was better fit than the darker Reference 7. The Earmax and HD650 has amazing synergy, and tube rolling is a lot of fun.

3. Antelope Zodiac Plus OR Audio-gd NFB10ES > Audeze LCD2 r2
I'm sure a better amp would have me rank the LCD2 past the HD650. Both the Zodiac and the Sabre-based NFB10ES, neutral DACs leaning towards bright side, has good synergy with the slightly warmer LCD2 r2. Sound is clear, organic, great timbre, lifelike vocals, and dark background. Soundstage is a bit constricted. I really enjoy the LCD2s but they don't move me emotionally as the earmax/HD650 combination.

4. Reference 7 OR Antelope Zodiac Plus > Duntonic 300B integrated tube amp > Hifiman HE6
I understand why so much praise is reaped on the HE6's. I've had a privilege of hearing a TOTL setup that properly amped the HE6's and the sound was very impressive with its realism and transparency - I felt transported to a live concert. I felt the transparency was on par with the Stax 009. However, the HE6 is a PITA to properly amp, and all the amps in my collection either ran out of juice (earmax, phoenix) or sounded bright, harsh, sibilant, and fatiguing with it (NFB10ES, DIY First Watt F3). I have read that brightness with HE6 is a symptom of underamping. The 300b tube amp put up the best fight and smoothed out sound a bit. Its important to note that I needed to get resisters to make the tube amp sound right with the HE6's. One cool thing about the HE6 is that the sound has a physically tactile feel to it which I've never experienced with another headphone. The tactile feel is not only with bass (e.g., rumbling), but across the frequency range. Its a really cool effect.

5. Antelope Zodiac Plus > Audio-gd Phoenix > Denon D7000
The Zodiac Plus has good synergy with the Denon's and gave them a more neutral/flat sound signature. The D7000s with my NFB10ES had a more V-shaped sound that veiled the midrange and added some harshness and sibilance. The D7000s are fun headphones though and was my headphone of choice for watching movies before I sold them off. I regret selling them as they were very comfortable to wear, gorgeous to look at, and leaked less sound due to closed design.

So there you have it - my rankings in context!

For my personal enjoyment and synergy with my components, I would rank...

Stax 007 mk2 > HD650 > LCD2 > HE6 > D7000.

For technical superiority and scalability, I would rank...

Stax 007 mk2 > HE6 > LD2 > HD650 > D7000

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #2,464 of 8,138
Hey obobskivich, do you recommend the AE2s over the QC15s? I ask because you were a big influence in my decision to purchase the QC15s. What separates the 2 as far as sound quality goes? Why do you like the AE2s for gaming and how are they different from the QC15s in that regard? Thanks!

It depends. The QC15 have ANC, which makes them far and away better isolating. They're also less microphonic. SQ wise it really depends as well - in a noisy environment the QC15 have ANC to their advantage, which is a big deal (things will sound consistent in noisy or quiet environments, while the AE2 like most other full-size cans lack LF isolation and will sound funky in noisy places). Additionally the QC15 are a bit more refined and have more bass impact (it still doesn't bleed into everything else). They're certainly a "grown up" sound over the AE2 (my understanding is that there is some complex EQ and DSP processing going on to accomplish this though, which is why they can't run without power). When it comes to gaming, I like the AE2 because they're very light, comfortable, closed-back, and have a decent sound-stage. The QC15 were just as competent, plus they added ANC onto the top. It really put you "in the game" - for better, or for worse.

My biggest issue with the QC15 is that I don't need ANC, and I didn't like needing to replace the batteries. The effect was also fairly uncanny to me (in my scenario, it absolutely obliterated the world around me - it was like sensory deprivation, which isn't something I enjoy).

So, if you need the isolation, and what a bit more refined take on the Bose sound; or want a bassier presentation, and don't mind the batteries - QC15.
Otherwise, or if you're opposed to ANC or on a budget - AE2.

Both are good closed cans imho.

lol. Unless you need to anchor a boat or something...:p

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #2,465 of 8,138
Quote:
Quote:
Hey obobskivich, do you recommend the AE2s over the QC15s? I ask because you were a big influence in my decision to purchase the QC15s. What separates the 2 as far as sound quality goes? Why do you like the AE2s for gaming and how are they different from the QC15s in that regard? Thanks!

It depends. The QC15 have ANC, which makes them far and away better isolating. They're also less microphonic. SQ wise it really depends as well - in a noisy environment the QC15 have ANC to their advantage, which is a big deal (things will sound consistent in noisy or quiet environments, while the AE2 like most other full-size cans lack LF isolation and will sound funky in noisy places). Additionally the QC15 are a bit more refined and have more bass impact (it still doesn't bleed into everything else). They're certainly a "grown up" sound over the AE2 (my understanding is that there is some complex EQ and DSP processing going on to accomplish this though, which is why they can't run without power). When it comes to gaming, I like the AE2 because they're very light, comfortable, closed-back, and have a decent sound-stage. The QC15 were just as competent, plus they added ANC onto the top. It really put you "in the game" - for better, or for worse.

My biggest issue with the QC15 is that I don't need ANC, and I didn't like needing to replace the batteries. The effect was also fairly uncanny to me (in my scenario, it absolutely obliterated the world around me - it was like sensory deprivation, which isn't something I enjoy).

So, if you need the isolation, and what a bit more refined take on the Bose sound; or want a bassier presentation, and don't mind the batteries - QC15.
Otherwise, or if you're opposed to ANC or on a budget - AE2.

Both are good closed cans imho.

Quote:

lol. Unless you need to anchor a boat or something...
tongue.gif

Oh, the 4AAs are far better than the QC15 AND the AE2. KOSS still produces them.

If the current production versions have the same pads as the old, they'll isolate amazingly without the stupidness of ANC. The comfort is actually quite good except for the weight, and the sound quality is still better than the QC15.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #2,466 of 8,138
HD-800 - Comfort, sound, sound, sound, did I say sound?

LCD-3- Close to first place. May change in time not sure, have only used them like 5 times since September

HD-650 - I really thought about putting these as number 1 but can't because they really are not in the same league as the two above. These are just all around fun,  Light and 80% of the SQ of the above.  For the price you can't really argue. Must have.

Klipsch x10 - Decent on the go. The highs just don't seem right with these.  I don't think there was ever a time I forgot I was listening to in ears with these. 

Bose circumaural (first pair they released) - Good beater, other than that they are laughable compared to the above

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #2,467 of 8,138
Having culled 75% of my collection an update is in order! *edited due to keeping 2 more headphones*

1 - Grado RS2i
2 - Sennheiser Momentum
3 - AKG K241
4 - Beyerdynamic DT 990
5 - AKG K141
6 - AKG K240 Monitor
7 - Watson Mod. 930 (SFI ortho)
8 - Koss Portapro

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #2,468 of 8,138
You, sir, are a man of impeccable taste!

Seriously, I think the price is keeping T5ps under-exposed. Most head-fiers would go for a T1 at that price or (fill in the blanks with your aspirational USD1,295 'phone here), given that they already own amps of some description and graduated from portables (read: low impedance/high sensitivity). Plus the T5p really is a little large (and conspicuous) for portable use - but don't tell that to the Red/White Dre Studio users!

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #2,469 of 8,138
1. Darth Beyer V3s
2. DT-880 600ohms (when driven properly)
3. Ultrasone Pro 900
4. Monster Turbine Gold
5. Grado 325is (only use if I really want to hear that Grado sound, otherwise it's on the shelf)
6. Beats Wireless (Hate me if you want, but for on the go I really enjoy these)
7. Sennheiser HD-595

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #2,470 of 8,138
Quote:
1. Darth Beyer V3s
2. DT-880 600ohms (when driven properly)
3. Ultrasone Pro 900
4. Monster Turbine Gold
5. Grado 325is (only use if I really want to hear that Grado sound, otherwise it's on the shelf)
6. Beats Wireless (Hate me if you want, but for on the go I really enjoy these)
7. Sennheiser HD-595

Can you give a brief impression of the Darth Beyer V3s?

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #2,472 of 8,138
Got some new headphones, so I revised the order.

1: Beyerdynamic DT1350
Neutral with insane bass and treble extension. Fastest decay of any headphone I've ever heard. LOTS of detail, good imaging and small but enjoyable soundstage. Really good isolation. Has a certain viscerality to it that makes things sound real.

2: Pioneer SE-700
Very neutral sound. Slightly clearer sound than the DT1350, but has less extension on the lows and highs. Very detailed, possibly more than the DT1350. Phenomenal imaging, sound just emanates from nowhere. No soundstage, however. Bass lacks slam and heft. No isolation. Requires a metric f-ckton of amping power.

3: KOSS Pro/4AAA
Neutral with a slightly darker sound compared to the DT1350. Bass doesn't reach as low as the 1350 but is still very good. Highs roll off a bit at the very top. Absolutely massive soundstage with amazing imaging. Instrument separation is great. Songs sound less like a recording and more like a performance. Has detail but not as much as 1350, isolation is about on par with 1350.

4: KOSS Reference One
Same general sound as the 4AAA but even darker due to less treble. Upper midrange is slightly forward and it feels like there's a veil of sorts over the sound. Slightly smaller soundstage than 4AAA. STUPIDLY good isolation, the best I've ever heard from ANY headphone.

5: Pioneer SE-500
An SE-700 that's worse in every way. Has less bass, less detail, and kinda distant sounding. Significantly easier to power however, and offers some isolation.

6: KOSS K/6X Plus: Bright with sparkly treble and good bass. Semi-open. Has tight control over the entire frequency spectrum. First pair of headphones I ever owned. Lacks soundstage and imaging, and doesn't have much detail, but still pretty good.

7: ATH-M50
Don't like it anymore. Midbass hump without much of anything for real bass. Rude treble that jumps out at you and slaps you across the face. Recessed mids that are grainy and bad sounding. No actual detail, no soundstage or imaging. 

8: AKG K240 Studio
Nice airy lows, liquid mids, beautiful highs... but has absolutely no control over the diaphragm. No detail, no PRaT, no heft, no anything. Puts me to sleep every time I use it. Dense songs are a sloppy mess of frequencies on these headphones.

9: Audatron SH-608R 
A K240 studio without the smoothness to the sound. Even more asleep, with no soundstage and no imaging. Used as a guinea pig for modding.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #2,473 of 8,138
1) LCD2 Rev2 (balanced ALO chain mail)

2) HE 500 (balanced ALO chain mail with Norse adapter)

3)HD 650 (balanced Black Dragon cable)

4) Grado HF2

All with the same setup: JRiver18 - Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus - Audio GD Phoenix

At the moment trying to sell the Grados because they are clearly the weakest link in this ranking.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #2,474 of 8,138
1. Koss Pro DJ 100
Don't get me started..just the idea that it holds up to my HD-650 on my main setup explains a lot. It's just not the same from portable devices for me. Despite it supposedly being easy to amp.
IMO it's sound is held back a lot by it's stock pads.

2. Sennheiser HD-650
I don't know why this pair sounds better than the other pairs I had 2 years ago. This one is quite balanced. No lack of treble, no mid-bass hump and good low bass extension. Vocals (not just male) sound forward slightly. This sounds closer to my old modded HD-600. This benefits from my ODAC more than my Q701. I also checked the setup I had before and this one sounds like nothing sticks out too much. Ok, it's still sounds really warm. Hopefully everyone else has one that sounds this good! Since getting this i've been addicted to it's sound and even use it with gaming. With the ODAC it certainly doesn't lack detail and isn't too forgiving of track quality at all. It IS however fairly forgiving of all those tracks that are normally harsh/fatiguing (bad recording).

3. AKG Q701
This isn't going anywhere. I still love this thing, but lately i've been wanting to try other headphones. I find the Q701 more accurate than the HD-650, but who cares.

4. Sennheiser HD-580
Think i'm one of the few who find this sounds better than the HD-600.

5. AKG K601 (this sounds ruler flat with my ODAC. Weird)

6. Sennheiser HD-598 (somehow this thing never gets any use. I love it's soundstage (size).

7. Sennheiser HD-600 (I never could really like this without mods. Not sure why. It's bass annoys me).

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #2,475 of 8,138
1. Senny HD650 + Lyr
2. Senny HD650 + Lyr
3. Westone 4*
4. AKG K500
5. DT1350
6. DT990
7. DT770
8. CKM99*
9. TF10*
10. Philips Uptown
11. JVC S500