Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Oct 20, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #782 of 3,060
  The terms and conditions of this thread soon will be longer than Apple iTunes policy.

Yeah, pretty much. I for one don't care about smartphones used as sources or how much they cost. 99,9999999999% of the people buy a smartphone for what it can do as a smartphone, not for an audiophile source, so they can invest more money in it and still have very little funds for headphones/iems etc. So frankly, I don't mind particularly something like an iphone 5c paired with a $50 iem, coz it doesn't sound better than a clip+ paired with the same iem. Now a $200+ dedicated audio source is a different thing and should be in the other threads

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #783 of 3,060
  I see you have a oldie rig, do that sennheiser earbuds still sound good?
biggrin.gif

Yeah of course 
tongue.gif
 I use those earbuds when walking around the city or where I have to be able to hear from the outside. Other than that they are not that good. I prefer IEMs or clsed cans.

I also have those in white 
deadhorse.gif
  and I like the way they look with the Clip+ in white.

by the way, congrats on your Post 400

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #784 of 3,060
  Yeah, pretty much. I for one don't care about smartphones used as sources or how much they cost. 99,9999999999% of the people buy a smartphone for what it can do as a smartphone, not for an audiophile source, so they can invest more money in it and still have very little funds for headphones/iems etc. So frankly, I don't mind particularly something like an iphone 5c paired with a $50 iem, coz it doesn't sound better than a clip+ paired with the same iem. Now a $200+ dedicated audio source is a different thing and should be in the other threads

I have an ipod touch 4G coming in the next couple of days. (I paid $60 for it), mostly for what you said though, apps and mobile web browsing, my smartphone (HTC Velocity) is one power hungry device so I want to ease the load. Once I pimp out the touch with a new bumper case and screen protector I'll get some mug shots and evaluate which thread to post it in.  

Take it to the weigh in tollway and assess the value.
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #785 of 3,060

I have an ipod touch 4G coming in the next couple of days. (I paid $60 for it), mostly for what you said though, apps and mobile web browsing, my smartphone (HTC Velocity) is one power hungry device so I want to ease the load. Once I pimp out the touch with a new bumper case and screen protector I'll get some mug shots and evaluate which thread to post it in.  

Take it to the weigh in tollway and assess the value.
tongue.gif

I enjoyed my Touch 4G for apps and games, and it was a great sounding player as well...but web browsing on that tiny screen? No thanks....lol. The small screen is what led me to trade it away when I got other stuff with larger screens. That said, I wouldn't mind getting another one.....lol.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #786 of 3,060
  I enjoyed my Touch 4G for apps and games, and it was a great sounding player as well...but web browsing on that tiny screen? No thanks....lol. The small screen is what led me to trade it away when I got other stuff with larger screens. That said, I wouldn't mind getting another one.....lol.

Yeah, I browse facebook, Instagram, twitter, head-fi, Cnet, etc on touches and my phone. I don't use desktop site versions, only apps and mobile versions. Mainly when I'm away from the computer or laying down listening to tunes. I won't however go writing epic posts on mobiles though. I'll check out the sound of the 4G touch and say a few words. I can zoom around fairly fast around head-fi on my HTC (4G).

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #788 of 3,060
... If "I" can't go buy it today for $200 then it does not belong here...
biggrin.gif

Can't be more simple than that. 

On the flip side its does raise possibility of another idea for a thread. A bargain alerts thread. To contain specials, sale items of interest to headfi's not just of new gear that anyone can buy there and then. But perhaps older gear thats dropped in price in the 2nd hand/used market. Maybe HEad Fi is too global for it to work. 

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #789 of 3,060

On the flip side its does raise possibility of another idea for a thread. A bargain alerts thread. To contain specials, sale items of interest to headfi's not just of new gear that anyone can buy there and then. But perhaps older gear thats dropped in price in the 2nd hand/used market. Maybe HEad Fi is too global for it to work. 

Nah, it's not that simple. There are different countries and different deals and prices, so I think there always will be someone mad with someone else's rig because he might think it does not belong here. Like for instance someone posting an ipod nano 7th gen few pages back - I can't buy a $150 nano - it costs $230 where I live, so supposedly I should get mad that someone posted a rig with it. For that matter even a 4gb clip+ is 80 bucks where I live and a fuze+ is 130. That's why I think people here should be more tolerant towards some of the posted rigs coz just because someone bought something at a bargain where he lives and the others can't, doesn't mean everyone else should get mad about it. - I'm not getting mad and I have to deal with some ridiculous prices. And don't get me started on iphone rigs coz last year's iphone 5 (16GB) is $850 with a 2-year contract here

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #790 of 3,060
Yes, but how do you really feel about the situation?

:p

As in, did I spout off because I am 'jealous' of people's portable rigs? Uh, no? There's certainly nothing stopping me from spending $600 on a portable setup. I could have shown a pic of my zune hd, along with some big sennheiser headphones, but I didn't because the zune itself is more then $200. Heck my el cheapo Lumia 520 with headphones would exceed the limit. The OP had a neat idea in starting this thread and it gets tiresome when people come along with 'oh but there should be an exception in my case', or 'this was a gift so it didn't cost me anything'.

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #791 of 3,060
I agree with earlier posts. How hard is <$200 to understand. It's clearly stated. I don't care what your economy of scale is, an ipod classic is $250 doesn't matter if it was a gift or used or not. No iPhone or Galaxy S class phone fits either. This isn't rocket science, and I'm sick of aholes who think they can circumvent simple rules while they play the ignorance card. "I didn't know any better I got the phone for free". ****, you are clearly aware that said flagship device is normally $700 off contract.

As in, did I spout off because I am 'jealous' of people's portable rigs? Uh, no? There's certainly nothing stopping me from spending $600 on a portable setup. I could have shown a pic of my zune hd, along with some big sennheiser headphones, but I didn't because the zune itself is more then $200. Heck my el cheapo Lumia 520 with headphones would exceed the limit. The OP had a neat idea in starting this thread and it gets tiresome when people come along with 'oh but there should be an exception in my case', or 'this was a gift so it didn't cost me anything'.

No Galaxy S
angry_face.gif
, Oh come on now....let me show you then how to get one for $<200 new
bigsmile_face.gif
Add a good budget IEM or headphones of your choice and there you go a good budget rig no?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Samsung-I9000-Galaxy-S-Android-V2-2-GPS-WIFI-4-0-TouchWiz-3-0-UI-SMARTPHONE-/181226605776?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item2a31f28cd0

As for the Lumia 520 if you live in the states then it's still possible for less than $<200

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Nokia-Lumia-520-4-IPS-LCD-Windows-Phone-8-8GB-Yellow-Factory-Unlocked-/380703873598?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item58a3b81a3e#shpCntId

Nuff said!

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #792 of 3,060

Don't think it's needed since the regular Deal Alerts Threads in the fullsize and portable forums aren'tever  that busy. 1-2 posts a day with a deal at the most usually.. budget or not.. it's welcome.

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #794 of 3,060
Guys we have been through this over and over... Basically if anyone can buy it, eBay Amazon, Craig's List or what ever, and its all under $200 bones then that is good by me. Like was stated earlier the new iPod Classic your grandma gave.you cause she can't see the screen is not *Budget-Fi*... Either are the IE80's you got for free in lieu of review. This was a great thread when it started and budget was the order of the day.. Now there is a *Mid-Fi* thread that gets lots of use with some great rigs! If "I" can't go buy it today for $200 then it does not belong here...
biggrin.gif

We do need to see a few pics of your cold air intake there RX7 Bro! You know... to lighten the mood.
beerchug.gif

Ah man.. you don't wanna see my engine bay.. it's just meh. I have intake pipes in the garage that needs a lot of polishing before I put her on.. still using the stock rubbers for now. 

When I get around to it (if ever..) I'll post her up heh. But since you requested it.. I can't say no can I :p

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #795 of 3,060
My "SMH What is that" Rig

Fuze > LOD w/ Silmic II caps > Homemade 3.5mm to 30 pin adapter > Go-Dap amp > S500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back