Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Oct 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #767 of 3,060
  This thread hath been too quiet lately.

So.......... I scoured Midgard to find a suitable porta-hifi partner to bring along with me on my dangerous journey to the Accountant Lairs of ADS's Corporate office where I do battle against vendors and accountants daily..

Short story short... here's what I came up with!

FiiO X3 (AD8397/WM8740)    $170.95
SoundMAGIC E10                  $25.95
Total:                                   $196.90

The best part... all NEW.. not used or second hand. Just took time and patience to find these deals.

Beautiful. I am semi-desperate to get myself an X3. Been hiding money from the wife for a couple months but it's adding up too, too slowly. :)

If I may ask two dumb questions: 1. What is the little circular spot on the lower right part of the screen, and 2. why is it that every pic I see has the file extension shown with the song. Does this thing only do playback through folders?

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #768 of 3,060

Beautiful. I am semi-desperate to get myself an X3. Been hiding money from the wife for a couple months but it's adding up too, too slowly. :)

Dude.. I was/still/am in the same boat... might be selfish and deceitful on my part.. but each paycheck I send a portion to my own personal bank account (we have a shared one) and I sell things on eBay that goes into my "audio fund account." It's long and tedious.. but it's ok to be selfish bro... enjoy life & music!

I might have to move the rig over to the mid-fi rig soon.. since I plan on modding the X3 to an AD8620 chip.

Which will put it slightly above $200.. then I'll probably throw on an amp.. for when I need the warmth back for my other cans...

and I like bulky brick and interconnect rigs... go figure
rolleyes.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #769 of 3,060
  This thread hath been too quiet lately.

So.......... I scoured Midgard to find a suitable porta-hifi partner to bring along with me on my dangerous journey to the Accountant Lairs of ADS's Corporate office where I do battle against vendors and accountants daily..

Short story short... here's what I came up with!

FiiO X3 (AD8397/WM8740)    $170.95
SoundMAGIC E10                  $25.95
Total:                                   $196.90

The best part... all NEW.. not used or second hand. Just took time and patience to find these deals.

Lovely rig

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #772 of 3,060
Do I lose points for lack of originality? XD

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #773 of 3,060
Oct 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #774 of 3,060
In my defense the clip+ port was stable ages ago, no need to fix what ain't broken.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #776 of 3,060
I agree with earlier posts. How hard is <$200 to understand. It's clearly stated. I don't care what your economy of scale is, an ipod classic is $250 doesn't matter if it was a gift or used or not. No iPhone or Galaxy S class phone fits either. This isn't rocket science, and I'm sick of aholes who think they can circumvent simple rules while they play the ignorance card. "I didn't know any better I got the phone for free". ****, you are clearly aware that said flagship device is normally $700 off contract.

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #777 of 3,060
I agree with earlier posts. How hard is <$200 to understand. It's clearly stated. I don't care what your economy of scale is, an ipod classic is $250 doesn't matter if it was a gift or used or not. No iPhone or Galaxy S class phone fits either. This isn't rocket science, and I'm sick of aholes who think they can circumvent simple rules while they play the ignorance card. "I didn't know any better I got the phone for free". ****, you are clearly aware that said flagship device is normally $700 off contract.

Yes, but how do you really feel about the situation?

tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #778 of 3,060

LOL dude, chillax. I agree that flagship smartphones don't belong in this thread but I personally have zero issues with someone posting a rig with a few years old smartphone as source - it doesn't matter if it's new or used. While you can get pretty easily a cheaper phone when renewing your contract or buying a used old model, the same doesn't apply to audiophile DAPs, amps and headphones. So I won't judge equally someone using an Ak100 as a DAP or iphone 5 and posting a pic coz it's completely different. 
Anyway, no need to get so offended and act like a jerk.

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #779 of 3,060

Whoa.. you're taking it way too offensively bra..

I am A Ok with phone rigs.. considering most people have phones not for the role of a DAP... it's just an added benefit that they can house audio files.. the limit should be set to receiving $500 IEMs as a gift or inheritance.

In reality.. The rules should be set by TD.. since he is *The* thread starter.. he should chime in here to clear up the angst. :)

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #780 of 3,060
Guys we have been through this over and over... Basically if anyone can buy it, eBay Amazon, Craig's List or what ever, and its all under $200 bones then that is good by me. Like was stated earlier the new iPod Classic your grandma gave.you cause she can't see the screen is not *Budget-Fi*... Either are the IE80's you got for free in lieu of review. This was a great thread when it started and budget was the order of the day.. Now there is a *Mid-Fi* thread that gets lots of use with some great rigs! If "I" can't go buy it today for $200 then it does not belong here... :D

We do need to see a few pics of your cold air intake there RX7 Bro! You know... to lighten the mood.
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back