Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Oct 10, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #721 of 3,060
A bit late into the thread, but here are my rigs so far.

Just one DAP, an iPod Classic 6g 80gb($100, second hand) through a Fiio E6($25), and yes, I am planning on getting a LOD for the e6.

First up is the Philips SHE3950 ($15): They aren't really for my taste, but they're light and really good when I'm out on a run.

Next is the Phillips SHE9850($30, they were on sale): No longer have these, a friend of mine just bought them from me today, but what can I say, these were really nice for me. Vocals were sweet and clear. Might be just because it was my first try at balanced armature driver IEMs, but letting them go was one of my hardest decisions yet.

The Audio Technica ATH-SJ55($60): These were my daily drivers before The CKM50s. It was my first dip into the entry level audiophile world, and I instantly loved them. The passive isolation on them were good enough so that the bass was really punchy. And they were flat enough so that I could hear things clearly for the first time. They were also the ones that made me switch to audio tracks with a higher bit rate since the quality was immediately noticeable through them.

And lastly, so far, the Audio Technica ATH-CKM50($35): As rare as they are(they're discontinued), I gotta say that these are really worth the efforts of finding them. At its price, I'm really having a hard time looking for a competitor. At first I was a little disgruntled about how the bass was too overflowing and seemed to drown out the mids, but a lot of people insisted that it's just the usual Audio Technica thing that they NEED to be burned in before you hear its real sound. So I pushed on and just straight out got them. And lo, after some time of burn in with a bunch of deadmau5 tracks, they sounded phenomenal. Best IEMs I've tried yet. Then again, I'm a little under-experienced and am only starting to get to try out everything i can.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #722 of 3,060
  A bit late into the thread, but here are my rigs so far.

Just one DAP, an iPod Classic 6g 80gb($100, second hand) through a Fiio E6($25), and yes, I am planning on getting a LOD for the e6.

First up is the Philips SHE3950 ($15): They aren't really for my taste, but they're light and really good when I'm out on a run.

Next is the Phillips SHE9850($30, they were on sale): No longer have these, a friend of mine just bought them from me today, but what can I say, these were really nice for me. Vocals were sweet and clear. Might be just because it was my first try at balanced armature driver IEMs, but letting them go was one of my hardest decisions yet.

The Audio Technica ATH-SJ55($60): These were my daily drivers before The CKM50s. It was my first dip into the entry level audiophile world, and I instantly loved them. The passive isolation on them were good enough so that the bass was really punchy. And they were flat enough so that I could hear things clearly for the first time. They were also the ones that made me switch to audio tracks with a higher bit rate since the quality was immediately noticeable through them.

And lastly, so far, the Audio Technica ATH-CKM50($35): As rare as they are(they're discontinued), I gotta say that these are really worth the efforts of finding them. At its price, I'm really having a hard time looking for a competitor. At first I was a little disgruntled about how the bass was too overflowing and seemed to drown out the mids, but a lot of people insisted that it's just the usual Audio Technica thing that they NEED to be burned in before you hear its real sound. So I pushed on and just straight out got them. And lo, after some time of burn in with a bunch of deadmau5 tracks, they sounded phenomenal. Best IEMs I've tried yet. Then again, I'm a little under-experienced and am only starting to get to try out everything i can.

the LOD you're planning to get will be a HUGE improvement

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #724 of 3,060
Everytime I sell the clip i own....I miss it and always buy another one lol. 

Maybe I'll get another color besides Black

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #725 of 3,060
My 5c with JVC HAFX30. If I remember well, I think I got them for $10 or so. Recently my 3GS died on me and since I've invested in Apple products for a while now, I decided to stick with them. Plus I was up for a upgrade. Pretty nice for running around. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #727 of 3,060
Darn sorry. I got it for $99 so to me it was budget compared to the higher end stuff with amps and stuff. I do apologize about that.

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #728 of 3,060
  A 
$549.00 ​
phone is hardly budget, whether it was an upgrade or not. Or at least I wouldn't consider it to be 

if it was an upgrade its fine.  We're not doing MSRP but what you can get for it at a pretty normal basis

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #729 of 3,060
I can go cheaper I guess. 
ipod Classic 80GB.

This guy has been through a lot. And it still works which I'm still scratching my head about that. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #731 of 3,060
Man, I had an iPod Classic back around 2008. Loved the storage (something like 600 full albums at 320 kbps didn't even start to fill it up) but the sound was very meh to me and I disliked the whole Apple environment. Wish Rockbox had been around at that point.

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #732 of 3,060
  I can go cheaper I guess. 
ipod Classic 80GB.

This guy has been through a lot. And it still works which I'm still scratching my head about that. 

Man I thought that was what the TANK was all about! I had to stick my 5th Gen U2 classic in one if for nothing else to save those engraved signatures
wink.gif

Pods are OK, I'm just lucky I don't have Rudi or Robo's ears
blink.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #733 of 3,060
IMO I wish the current iPhones and stuff would be built the same way. That Classic is a tank. I've had it drop from my desk, left it in the car for weeks. I live in Florida so you can imagine how hot it gets. It's been rained on and it still works.

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #734 of 3,060
  Pods are OK, I'm just lucky I don't have Rudi or Robo's ears
blink.gif

Eh, I don't have velvet ears. (my current players are a Sansa E250 and Clip+). I just like gobs and gobs of low end and the iPods don't really have the oomph to push it. If I had known about things like headphone amps back then I probably would've got one and had a really good combination.

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #735 of 3,060
  Eh, I don't have velvet ears. I just like gobs and gobs of low end and the iPods don't really have the oomph to push it. If I had known about things like headphone amps back then I probably would've got one and had a really good combination.

Rockbox can help with that.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back