Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Apr 5, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #2,191 of 3,060
Well you can't buy a ipod 5g new anymore and 60$ is more than reasonable, got a few myself for around 40$,you just need to look on ebay for a few weeks, I don't think it makes much sense to argue with the retail price when it first came out.

The average price you would pay today makes more sense as the price limit is an indicator for what you can get today for that price.

It would be different if only new items would be allowed here but buying everything new isn't really realistic in a budget thread

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #2,192 of 3,060
I assume you are kidding, lots of folks posting old and all new systems in here that were budget retail then and now. This was the whole reason the "Look what I stole" thread was created so that those who got gifts or bought used gears could put up their ultra budget rigs. Like I said the <$200 budget thread, $200-$600 Mid-Fi thread and >$600 Portable threads are based on what you post was valued at original retail.

Now let's say mommy or daddy buy you a AK 240, JDS C5 and a sweet pair of CIEM's and you don't pay out a dime, this system by all accounts should fall into the >$600 thread however it could very well be in the "Look what I stole (bought used at a killer price or was given)" thread as well. 

I find it confusing and misleading especially for newbies to post a rig in the retail thread if you got a bargain on something far below retail. This is how I understand these particular threads are to be used and interpreted. 

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #2,193 of 3,060
No I agree with you, maybe my post wasn't clear, English is not my native language so there may be a difference in what I mean and what I write.

The point is a 30gb 5th gen ipod for 60$ is neither a gift nor a "killer price", it is not difficult for pretty much anyone to buy it at that price (I know there are some countries where pretty much anything audio related is way more expensive than for example in Europe or the United states)

And if a setup is available for under 200$ to (almost) anyone who wants to buy it, it should be in this thread.

Of course it would be different for items that are still being sold new, then that should be the reference.

Or I am completely wrong with my idea what this thread is about. Maybe a clear set of rules would be useful if we start bashing on people who post setups that may not 100% belong in here.

Part from the first post:
1. All portable rigs posted here should have a TOTAL price of less than $200 that anyone can buy for the same price anytime. (Amazon, eBay etc...)

1a. If you picked it up from some guy on the corner for $50 but you KNOW it's worth $500 then it does not belong in this thread the Used-Fi thread also linked below is the place to post your great deals!

My interpretation of that is used gear is OK if it is widely available for that price and no matter how good or bad a 5th gen ipod is, today it is not worth nearly as much as what it retailed for when it first came out

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #2,194 of 3,060
I don't know where you can shop a new 5G 30GB Classic for $60 but I'll come visit to just pick two of thise up for that price! I know I bought my new 30GB U2 Classic for$256 on sale. I'm thinking this rig needs to be in the "Look what I stole" thread?

It was my understanding the Budget, Mi-Fi and Portable (no price limit) rig threads were based in new retail pricing:confused:
Well.... In the first place the ipod 5g (not the classic[edit] 6g that is discontinued) is discontinued too :D soo you only can buy it used for diferent prices http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B000A3WS84/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all here some examples, thanks for you reply I forget put it in the first post :rolleyes: .

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #2,195 of 3,060
Yes gentlemen, I understand that the 5G Classic can only be had used since is has been super ceded by newer models and my point. There is a thread for those who post used gears for whatever deal you get on them and that is a good thing. I'm in the US and we can shop used eBay deals as well as you can go into gaming stores and buy used iPods for 1/2 or less of original retail. 

I'm not trying to bash anyone just saying there is a thread based on what you have and what you paid for it. I think if you look at the beginning of these threads it breaks down that they are based on what retail was on a system and then there are the deal threads , just trying to populate threads correctly. I posted in budget a few pages back my original iPod Mini I bought new for $99 and my $69 SR60"s, this is truly a budget <$200 rig and yes it is what I would call vintage now and both the Mini and the Grado's if you can find them can/could be bought for 1/2 to 1/3 of what I originally bought them for and would be able to go in this thread or a used bargain thread. 

Happy Easter and enjoy your jams
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #2,196 of 3,060
To Quote you BlbbBlubb: 

"Or I am completely wrong with my idea what this thread is about. Maybe a clear set of rules would be useful if we start bashing on people who post setups that may not 100% belong in here."

See this thread, best to be honest and not misleading. A 5G 30GB Classic should never be in a new retail <$200 thread, nevr meant to bash or have you display your bargain rig just explaining it has a home here. I also understand you and Ranscant have a total of 30 post out here and was just trying to make sure we don't confuse anyone that you rig new would fall into the budget thread based on retail pricing
wink_face.gif

The below thread could be loaded to the gills with systems that are almost a steal
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/727453/pictures-of-your-used-fi-portable-rigs-aka-the-look-what-i-stole-thread 

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2,197 of 3,060
I don't know where you can shop a new 5G 30GB Classic for $60 but I'll come visit to just pick two of thise up for that price! I know I bought my new 30GB U2 Classic for$256 on sale. I'm thinking this rig needs to be in the "Look what I stole" thread?

It was my understanding the Budget, Mi-Fi and Portable (no price limit) rig threads were based in new retail pricing:confused:

I might be wrong but if the item is no longer available new we go by the average going "used" price on amazon/ebay I think :/

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #2,199 of 3,060
I might be wrong but if the item is no longer available new we go by the average going "used" price on amazon/ebay I think :/

Maybe Troll Dragon will chime in if he sees this. We went over this stuff last year and why he created the Used/Bargain system link I posted above. If you can find/get a bargain on a 5G (or any high dollar piece of gear) today does not mean it shout go in a thread were a new clip would be. It was my understanding why the three threads were built based on new retail and we needed a bargain/used system thread. Let's say some guy was in a Jam and sold you his AK 100 II and his used AKG 701's for $100, do you think that should then go into the <$200 Budget-Fi thread because it's sure not a budget system based on the gears or their original retail pricing! 

To me not to confuse or mislead any newbies (not sure I would not be taken aback as well) I think threads should be based on what they are titled, Budget sub <$200, Mid-Fi $200-$600, Portable >$600 Unlimited or Bargain used setups but what do I know
rolleyes.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #2,201 of 3,060
I read all the thread a time ago and it is not completly strict with the prices, i think the same that indieman. Just lets keep the spirit of the thread i had already seen a lot of mean people in other pages of this thread. Cmon everybody more budget-fi portable rigs :cool: .

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #2,202 of 3,060
Maybe Troll Dragon will chime in if he sees this. We went over this stuff last year and why he created the Used/Bargain system link I posted above. If you can find/get a bargain on a 5G (or any high dollar piece of gear) today does not mean it shout go in a thread were a new clip would be. It was my understanding why the three threads were built based on new retail and we needed a bargain/used system thread. Let's say some guy was in a Jam and sold you his AK 100 II and his used AKG 701's for $100, do you think that should then go into the <$200 Budget-Fi thread because it's sure not a budget system based on the gears or their original retail pricing! 

To me not to confuse or mislead any newbies (not sure I would not be taken aback as well) I think threads should be based on what they are titled, Budget sub <$200, Mid-Fi $200-$600, Portable >$600 Unlimited or Bargain used setups but what do I know:rolleyes:  

+ agreed ...yes ..this was mentioned last year as Podster has pointed out .....the cap budget is also a reference
that anyone can buy.....which should be inclusive of everyone and everywhere and not exclusive to certain geographical location or you know someone with staff price or selling it for cheap bcuz the seller is desperate for cold hard cash ...

Part from the first post:
1. All portable rigs posted here should have a TOTAL price of less than $200 that anyone can buy for the same price anytime. (Amazon, eBay etc...)

1a. If you picked it up from some guy on the corner for $50 but you KNOW it's worth $500 then it does not belong in this thread the Used-Fi thread also linked below is the place to post your great deals!

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #2,203 of 3,060
This thread was created for us folks with budget gear that we love and use regularly to show our appreciation of that gear.

I found posting pictures of budget in the portable rig thread always gets jumped over and ignored due to posts of the latest high end rigs. In the other thread they really don't want to look at Clip's and other budget gear, but would rather ooh and aah over the latest AK or Hugo release...

I made up some basic rules for the thread since people were posting pics of high end rigs. These people probably have a 6 figure income as well, so end game gear to us was budget to them. Budget is relative to income so a price value had to be put on the thread. Then the arguments started about the value of things, it just never ends... I think if you look back through the thread, 1/3 of the posts are probably discussions about validity.

So I thought the rules were very easy to understand, I have added a "currently" to the 1a rule in case it is misunderstood.

This rule means if I go up onto eBay and find a guy selling a quantity of iPods for $50 each and I pair them with a set of Porta Pros then by all means post the picture here and enjoy your Budget-Fi rig! If you can add an amplifier in the works and keep it under $200, all the better!

1a. If you picked it up from some guy on the corner for $50 but you KNOW it's currently worth $500 then it does not belong in this thread the Used-Fi thread also linked below is the place to post your great deals!
This rule means if you win a single sale auction on eBay of a DX90 for $100 because the seller needs the cash, it then belongs in the Mid-Fi thread or the Pictures of Your *Used-Fi* Portable Rig's aka the "Look what I Stole Thread". Same deal if you got it off the back of a truck or your family gave it too you etc...

I just did an eBay search for iPod 5G 16GB and many can be had for less than $150 so depending on what you pair it with, it might fit here. But again if you win the single auction iPod 5G 32gb for $50 and all the other auctions are starting at $175 then don't combine it with a pair of ATH-50's and post it here, put it in the Mid-Fi or Used-Fi. It is really that simple...

What say you all?
There will always be a grey area on gear and people who just post and don't bother to read the rules...

Good to see the Porta Pro's make an appearance in the thread again, it has been a while. I took the JVC HA-S500z out the other day to the store, I forgot how really good those sound as I have not wore them in a long time.

Now, back top the pictures!
beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #2,205 of 3,060

Sansa clip+ 8gb (rockbox) + SMSL sap5 headphone amp + Koss PortaPros

I love the Koss PortaPro Classic! I just received my pair and I'm in love with them. I like them so much better than my Shure SE215 and Audio Technica ATH-IM50. I also upgraded my Topping NX1 to the Fiio E11K becuase I needed the bass boost and power. I'm so happy with my upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back