Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Feb 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #1,081 of 3,060
That's right!
smily_headphones1.gif

It looks GREAT. I have ton's of their IEM's (a161, m16, m2, m6, m9, r1) none of their cans. 

Personal mini review on their sound please? :)

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #1,082 of 3,060
@RochRx7 Haha, alright.

So...When I first got them, I was actually rather disappointed in how they sound, and what not. It was only after my little "settle down" time of around 1-3 hours, did I further realise that these headphones weren't as bad as I had initially thought. So as you can see, they're not that type of headphone that sounds good first time around, but rather requires some adjustment to like them - which is not a bad thing.
(I have "modded" them by applying a cheap Sony ear pad on top of the current stock ones for more comfort and isolation - sound has a slightly fuller bass and warmth to it, but iI'll "review" accordingly.

So without further ado, my actual initial impressions are:
-Nice quality, punchy bass
-Smooth mids - recessed (Isn't rich in vocals, just standard)
-Trebles don't extend that high, but are good enough for me to classify them as "smooth and mellow"
-Speed is a bit slow in terms of musicality and bass for EDM songs, but not by much
-Actually does well with my songs with a constant beat - such as EDM, RnB and Hip-Hop
-Wasn't too great with live albums nor instrumentals
-Detail level is a bit low, but hey, budget cans! Can't expect too much:)
-Has decent PRaT and melody - flows nicely for a budget headphone that can make them sound fun
-Isolation is a bit leaky, so even on low volumes, your neighbours will kinda hear what you're listening to

So really...That's as raw as I could put it. No cute, sugar-coated BS. But yeah, although in being raw, don't feel that the headphones are terrible - because they're simply not. With a sleek design, and mediocre sound; its almost perfect for your day to day, on the go purposes such as commuting, or gym and anything in between. The main flaw that let's it down is the lack of isolation, so a slight pad mod should cure 80% of that problem.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #1,083 of 3,060

Clip Zip > Ibasso T3D > JVC FXD-80

Usually don't ever double amp, but waiting for a Ipod Nano 6th gen to come in so the zip will have to do for now

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #1,085 of 3,060
uvy6equ7.jpg

Bass monster setup. Good for club music and electronic (which I love).

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

i think you might have gone over the 200 dollar budget.  Also,  might want to look into a cheap fiio lod.  It'd do wonders imo to that setup

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #1,087 of 3,060
Got the v-modas for $100, $30 amp, used ipod touch ~$60.

I also use a Sony Walkman (my ipod rarely leaves the house that's why I don't have a LOD).

In all I'm within the budget.

The ipod touch sure, as we don't know which version it is....but the headphones are 140ish new.  We generally don't count the used prices.  The prices of our components new must be under 200. If the price total for new components are under 200; then the member can announce he actually got the components for.  That's the general rule.  Unless the component is discontinued (that version of the ipod touch) then we use the going used price for it.  However, your headphones can still be bought new so the going price is 140ish.  Which would put you over the budget.  Just a little FYI

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,088 of 3,060
The ipod touch sure, as we don't know which version it is....but the headphones are 140ish new.  We generally don't count the used prices.  The prices of our components new must be under 200. If the price total for new components are under 200; then the member can announce he actually got the components for.  That's the general rule.  Unless the component is discontinued (that version of the ipod touch) then we use the going used price for it.  However, your headphones can still be bought new so the going price is 140ish.  Which would put you over the budget.  Just a little FYI

The headphones new have gone down to $69 on multiple ocassions and tend to stabilize at ~$100 on Amazon. I don't see how I could post any of my gear here because sometimes prices skyrocket to $140 for an $80 headphone. This gear can be easily bought for under the $200 mark with a casual search. If you'd like I could make another post showing it with my walkman to be well within the $200 mark.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #1,089 of 3,060
The headphones new have gone down to $69 on multiple ocassions and tend to stabilize at ~$100 on Amazon. I don't see how I could post any of my gear here because sometimes prices skyrocket to $140 for an $80 headphone. This gear can be easily bought for under the $200 mark with a casual search. If you'd like I could make another post showing it with my walkman to be well within the $200 mark.

I could care less, I'm just filling you in on the general rule.  It's been discussed before and there is that grey area when items are discontinued and where there has been sales for particular items.  Also, a quick search for the vmoda's.... no place sells them for under 140 as of right now.  

Even if the ipod never leaves the house, a few bucks to get a lineout signal instead of a Headphone out signal is worth it imo.  

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #1,090 of 3,060
I could care less, I'm just filling you in on the general rule.  It's been discussed before and there is that grey area when items are discontinued and where there has been sales for particular items.  Also, a quick search for the vmoda's.... no place sells them for under 140 as of right now.  

Even if the ipod never leaves the house, a few bucks to get a lineout signal instead of a Headphone out signal is worth it imo.  

I'm just saying the v-moda price fluctuates like crazy, one week it'll be $70 then $100 then up to $170 you just have to wait a week or two for it to fall back down but for the most part they never go past $110 unless demand is high (they are several years old).

And I'm actually thinking of selling the ipod and I am well aware of the rules, I posted a rig that I think could be bought for $200 easily as I got it for less without even searching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back