Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #10,112 of 16,931
Hey Joker. I'm hoping you can help me out with a general sound question that I can't seem to shake wanting to figure out and have had little luck.

I've heard a few IEM's that have what you've described as a more rounded note presentation and would like to know if you have any idea, from a more technical perspective, why some reproductive systems exhibit this type of response characteristic? Something like gentler slopes or lower peaks/compression of its impulse response in relation to another system and/or to the source?

I don't even know if that makes any sense. I'm pretty much thinking out loud. Anyone, feel free to chime in.

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #10,114 of 16,931
Quote:

Thanks! I assume the other colors (black, grey) are similar as well? Going to grab the grey ones

btw, are you still writing that SHE3580 review?

IMO they are all different. The clear ones are thicker and softer. The black ones are a little smoother (I don't like them as much). The gray ones are a slightly different size (shorter). 

I still have to do the SHE3580 review, yes.

Quote:
Just curious

When will the BA200 and the Phillips SHE3580 be reviewed?

I don't have a BA200. I'll review the SHE3580 but first I have to clear up some of the things I've been loaned, such as the MH1C and TDK MT300.

Quote:
Hey Joker. I'm hoping you can help me out with a general sound question that I can't seem to shake wanting to figure out and have had little luck.

I've heard a few IEM's that have what you've described as a more rounded note presentation and would like to know if you have any idea, from a more technical perspective, why some reproductive systems exhibit this type of response characteristic? Something like gentler slopes or lower peaks/compression of its impulse response in relation to another system and/or to the source?

I don't even know if that makes any sense. I'm pretty much thinking out loud. Anyone, feel free to chime in.

I wouldn't know where to start with that. I think that's a good question to ask Tyll @ InnerFidelity. 

Certain things definitely produce thicker, softer notes. The Heir 8.A, for example - it's not really a bass monster but it sounds very thick and full, which gives its bass a lot of weight. 

Quote:
Joker, what SQ rating would/will you give the Philips Fidelios?

Somewhere in the RE-400 - GR07 range for both.

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #10,117 of 16,931
Quote:

Certain things definitely produce thicker, softer notes. The Heir 8.A, for example - it's not really a bass monster but it sounds very thick and full, which gives its bass a lot of weight. 

Hey, so does this mean an Heir 8.A review and score rating is coming? If so, how 'bout a score leak?

I wonder if an earphone will ever cause you to reevaluate the 10 you gave to the Miracle?

Apr 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #10,119 of 16,931
Quote:

OK, so pretty much 9. The S2 no higher than the S1?

A tenth at most. I still have to A:B them with a few of my older sets.

Quote:
Didnt the UE Triple Fi 10s used to be on this list? I would like to see a Joker review of them also. Thanks Joker!

Nope, never got around to it. I still have one, just haven't done a review.

Quote:
Hey, so does this mean an Heir 8.A review and score rating is coming? If so, how 'bout a score leak?

I wonder if an earphone will ever cause you to reevaluate the 10 you gave to the Miracle?

I've only had it for a week or two so no score yet. It is probable that the Miracle will get knocked off the top, but not necessarily by the Heir.

Quote:
Wow, you now have 8 new customs? Can you at least tell us all manufacturers please? 

Can you guess them? 
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #10,120 of 16,931
Those pictures make me want to try out some multi driver BA IEM... I think after reading these reviews my next purchase I might just go straight for some custom fit multi BA IEM... What would be the best for : Cheapest, smooth treble, big bass, good soundstage/imaging? £300 price limit.... How much does it cost to get the moulds done ?

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #10,121 of 16,931
Hello all I am a new head fier here

First of all my deepest and heartiest congratulations to joker for his effort and his really helpful and comprehensive iem review really just the thing one would need :,)(could u make one for other electronic items like tv ,phones too ? ;p)

Now onto important stuff.i am having soundmagic es18 currently and looking forward to upgrade
Them now,
I have 2 options
Either I spend around 60$ and get an iem like gr06 or so..
Or I save up a little and go for some high end around 150$ like gr07 eph100 etc

My requirements: not a bass head but definitely nuf bass >= of es18.
Music I listen to dubstep/trance/pop/rock. Sound signature...well sadly I am not audio expert but I would want an iem with Gud clarity, feel ,durable and 1 I can really enjoy listening to long.
Thanks a lot in advance(hopefully I was able to explain well...)

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #10,122 of 16,931
Quote:

Can you guess them? 
tongue.gif

Well, clearly one is JHaudio, it seems like two bore system, but not 13, so my guess is JH11?
Than Alclair,  RSM?
Than Lime ears, one with wooden faceplate and second clear with lime ears logo. Also both have that strange cable just EU companies uses. Lime ears LE3 in linear and bass tunign, or new 4 driver model?

One in Bronze/brown and magnus cable will be heir 8A
Dark blue are Hidition 6.
Clear silicon are Sensaphonics

And last one, blue with clear tip, truly I have no idea, nothing unusual to identify them.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 27, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #10,123 of 16,931
Quote:
Those pictures make me want to try out some multi driver BA IEM... I think after reading these reviews my next purchase I might just go straight for some custom fit multi BA IEM... What would be the best for : Cheapest, smooth treble, big bass, good soundstage/imaging? £300 price limit.... How much does it cost to get the moulds done ?

I've only heard one in that price range that fits all those requirements - the 1964-V3. Impression cost varies by audiologist - call around for the best price. Back when I paid to get them done, it was in the $30-40 range for the pair. An ACS network audiologist I visited quoted $100 so it really depends.

Quote:
Hello all I am a new head fier here

First of all my deepest and heartiest congratulations to joker for his effort and his really helpful and comprehensive iem review really just the thing one would need :,)(could u make one for other electronic items like tv ,phones too ? ;p)

Now onto important stuff.i am having soundmagic es18 currently and looking forward to upgrade
Them now,
I have 2 options
Either I spend around 60$ and get an iem like gr06 or so..
Or I save up a little and go for some high end around 150$ like gr07 eph100 etc

My requirements: not a bass head but definitely nuf bass >= of es18.
Music I listen to dubstep/trance/pop/rock. Sound signature...well sadly I am not audio expert but I would want an iem with Gud clarity, feel ,durable and 1 I can really enjoy listening to long.
Thanks a lot in advance(hopefully I was able to explain well...)

Unfortunately I haven't heard the ES18 so I have no idea where the bass quantity and overall SQ level are on that. If think you'll be satisfied with a mid-level earphone and not tempted to upgrade for a while, something like the GR06 would be a good choice, or the Astotec AM-800, which is similar in performance but less forward in the midrange. Again, I don't know if either of these will have more bass than the ES18 but they are quite good overall at $60 or so. The GR07 may not have enough bass but there are other options in that price range, such as the EPH-100 and FXT90, that should have plenty of bass.

Quote:
Well, clearly one is JHaudio, it seems like two bore system, but not 13, so my guess is JH11?
Than Alclair,  RSM?
Than Lime ears, one with wooden faceplate and second clear with lime ears logo. Also both have that strange cable just EU companies uses. Lime ears LE3 in linear and bass tunign, or new 4 driver model?

One in Bronze/brown and magnus cable will be heir 8A
Dark blue are Hidition 6.
Clear silicon are Sensaphonics

And last one, blue with clear tip, truly I have no idea, nothing unusual to identify them.

Color me impressed, especially on the Lime Ears catch
wink.gif
. Both are triple-drivers, just different tunings. 

The blue one with the clear tip has a "W" on the faceplate 
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #10,124 of 16,931
Quote:

Probably not worth the gas from LA, though. 

Etymotic does something similar with their audiologist network when you're getting their custom tips. Impressions are included in the price. I think Westone has an audiologist partner program as well.

I got my impressions done today - within a mile of my home - by Heir themselves. Amazing customer service - it helps to be in somewhat of close proximity of San Diego - The dedication of their representatives is admirable. Now the wait begins - no worries - I have plenty of IEM's purchased in the last few months to mess around with until my 8A & 4A's arrive. 

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #10,125 of 16,931
Unfortunately I haven't heard the ES18 so I have no idea where the bass quantity and overall SQ level are on that. If think you'll be satisfied with a mid-level earphone and not tempted to upgrade for a while, something like the GR06 would be a good choice, or the Astotec AM-800, which is similar in performance but less forward in the midrange. Again, I don't know if either of these will have more bass than the ES18 but they are quite good overall at $60 or so. The GR07 may not have enough bass but there are other options in that price range, such as the EPH-100 and FXT90, that should have plenty of bass.

ES18 is quite similar to e10, about 80-90% of it. :)

By the way I hope you'll do a review of Soungmagic's ES20 in the future, I think its the best build/sound Soundmagic iem I've seen and tried. Cheers!

It looks premium for the price its about $25 to $30. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back