Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 25, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #10,096 of 16,931
Phillips Oneil Treads should be able to stand much more abuse

though eventually he has to learn that earphones are sensitive, fragile electromechanical devices

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #10,097 of 16,931
Bit stuck on a sub-£50 IEM. Want something cable down, decent isolation/microphonics. Not sure on what sound style, but I suppose I just want a balanced, detailed but non-fatiguing sound? I can't stand sound which is bloated or muddy, I equally don't want something too harsh either as I think it will become draining to listen to over time. Genre wise, rock mostly. Bit of electric/acoustic/punk/metal.

Looking at E10, E30 or the M2 at the moment. Thoughts?

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #10,100 of 16,931
I was wondering what i should look for, i was looking into Atrio MG7's for IEM's.

My taste is Bass, Vocals(Priority), Good Treble as well. I listen To Hip-Hop like Kendrick Lamar, 90's old school rap, some rock, and trance/techno.

I currently own the Klipsch S4 and i'm looking for same amount of bass if not better but, i want better vocals. i also looked into Westone however hate the over the ear feeling

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #10,101 of 16,931
Quote:

I am using a set from an old SuperFi3. I don't think they make this kind of tip anymore. Closest modern equivalent is probably the standard (Meelec, etc) 5mm bi-flange. 

I took a look at meelectronic website but I couldnt find the 5mm ones, they didnt mention it in the specs... 

Quote:
does anyone if the headphone jack on a fx101 is supposed to say china on it

JVC HA-FX40 owner here, the jack does have the word "china" on it

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #10,103 of 16,931
Quote:
Bit stuck on a sub-£50 IEM. Want something cable down, decent isolation/microphonics. Not sure on what sound style, but I suppose I just want a balanced, detailed but non-fatiguing sound? I can't stand sound which is bloated or muddy, I equally don't want something too harsh either as I think it will become draining to listen to over time. Genre wise, rock mostly. Bit of electric/acoustic/punk/metal.

Think E30 would be most comfortable for your preferred type of sound

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #10,104 of 16,931
Quote:

The E30 is the more balanced of those three but it's worn over-the-ear. Is the UE500 available to you? They've been really cheap here in the US lately: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003YKG2XM. Good option for what you're after.

The Brainwavz M1 is also a better option for balanced sound than the M2. Similar isolation and cable noise, just less bassy and more mid-centric, but in a pleasant way.

Quote:
any thoughts on inearcustom.com?
do you have to pay a visit to an audiologist for that?

No experience with them but it looks like they provide a DIY impression kit or give you a $10 discount if you send in your own impressions (from an audiologist, for example).

Quote:
I was wondering what i should look for, i was looking into Atrio MG7's for IEM's.

My taste is Bass, Vocals(Priority), Good Treble as well. I listen To Hip-Hop like Kendrick Lamar, 90's old school rap, some rock, and trance/techno.

I currently own the Klipsch S4 and i'm looking for same amount of bass if not better but, i want better vocals. i also looked into Westone however hate the over the ear feeling

If you're prioritizing vocals you may want to pass on the MG7 - it's better than the S4 in that regard but it still puts more emphasis on bass. I don't think any of the Westone models will have enough bass for you except the W3.

If vocals are a priority, followed by bass, and the price range is ~MG7 or below, I would go for the Yamaha EPH-100. If you want something a little more v-shaped like the S4, the FXT90 from JVC should do it without giving up much vocal presence.

Quote:

I took a look at meelectronic website but I couldnt find the 5mm ones, they didnt mention it in the specs... 

These are the ones I was thinking of: http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts1-df-50-cl.htm 

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #10,105 of 16,931
Quote:
Think E30 would be most comfortable for your preferred type of sound

I was originally leaning towards these but I've heard some negative things about them being worn straight down with regards to isolation, microphonics and comfort. Any thoughts on straight down E30s?

The E30 is the more balanced of those three but it's worn over-the-ear. Is the UE500 available to you? They've been really cheap here in the US lately: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003YKG2XM. Good option for what you're after.

The Brainwavz M1 is also a better option for balanced sound than the M2. Similar isolation and cable noise, just less bassy and more mid-centric, but in a pleasant way.

I'll take a look at the M1 and after a quick look I can't seem to source the UE500 easily. I'll have a better look around when I have time later.

I've seen in some places that the E30s can be worn down but at some sacrifice, can you shed any light on wearing them straight down? Unsure if you still have access to them after review.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #10,107 of 16,931
joker, please update these list such as; 281 IEMs compared Philips S1/S2, Sony MH1c added ... etc ...

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #10,108 of 16,931
What's there to update? Pretty sure he always updates it when he actually adds reviews to the first post(s), AFAIK his S1/2 review is only at Inner Fidelity right now... Did he get around to reviewing the MH1C? I looked around but didn't see it posted anywhere...

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #10,109 of 16,931
Quote:

I was originally leaning towards these but I've heard some negative things about them being worn straight down with regards to isolation, microphonics and comfort. Any thoughts on straight down E30s?

I'll take a look at the M1 and after a quick look I can't seem to source the UE500 easily. I'll have a better look around when I have time later.

I've seen in some places that the E30s can be worn down but at some sacrifice, can you shed any light on wearing them straight down? Unsure if you still have access to them after review.

I tried but couldn't really wear the E30 cable-down. I find cable-up comfortable myself, and that's what the E30 was designed for anyway.

Quote:
Kind of ridiculous that right now the mic version of the UE500 is going for 3x the price of the regular version... I was looking at it for a gift.
tongue.gif

Glass half empty. You can also say it's ridiculous that the regular one is down to $25
wink.gif
. I am guessing headsets are overtaking normal stereo earphones in popularity/sales. 

Quote:
joker, please update these list such as; 281 IEMs compared Philips S1/S2, Sony MH1c added ... etc ...

All in due time. I haven't finished the MH1C review yet and the Philips reviews need to be re-written / re-formatted for Head-Fi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back