Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #8,941 of 48,562
Rented Metro 2033, didn't like it either. Seriously, I have issues with being really picky about my shooters. XD

Hell, please guys don't go off what I say about these games. I'm sure they're great for most people. I just lose interest or get too bored by many games that the majority of people love.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #8,942 of 48,562
Quote:
Seriously, I have issues...

QFT.

wink.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #8,943 of 48,562
Hopefully soon, I will have my mind made up on what to actually settle with. :rolleyes:

HD650 or HE-400...

The 990s went back... ouch.

Trust me... I know. :ph34r:

I may have to eat my words and go back to the HE-400+E17 and use the bass boost...

I really, truly miss the HE-400. The HD650 has shown me what mids do, and the HE-400 is a perfect balance of lows, mids, and highs.

The HD650 isn't as good for gaming as the DT990, but I find myself not caring. They do good enough, and that warm, full sound is just... unbelievable for music, movies, etc. It reminds me of the HE-400, without the HE-400's amazing holographic imaging and soundstage. So it's gonna go either way, but I'm only keeping one headphone + E17 for EQ-ed gaming with the HE-400, or none at all with the HD650. The trade off being the HE400 not having as amazing mids as the HD650, but the HD650 not having that planar magic.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #8,944 of 48,562
Quote:

Why?!

You've bought them like a dozen times already, just keep them.  You'll be buying them again in a week. 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #8,945 of 48,562
Because, the HD650's mids and warmth pulled me in. Things that the 990s lack. The bass on the HD650 is pretty solid too, and I felt they didn't lack for gaming.

The real competition is the HD650 vs HE400. The HE400 is better for gaming and many things, but the mids on the HD650 are just one of a kind. They do have their similarities, but the HE400 is more energetic... and that imaging is surreal. It's gonna be tough, but I'm leaning on the HE-400.

The 990s are amazing for me... but I feel I have outgrown their brightness.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #8,946 of 48,562
Just wanted to drop a comment in this thread since it was relatively instrumental in a recent purchase.  I've been bouncing around ideas for upgrading my headphones but continuously failed to pull the trigger because I didn't want to spend the money.

I currently have a pair of MDR-V700DJ headphones I bought a long time ago (10 years or so) that I used primarily for pc gaming.  I knew they were a muddy, bass heavy pair of headphones, but I never knew how much i was missing in the mid and treble ranges as well!

Based on this and subsequent reviews of the Koss KSC75 headphones I went ahead and ordered a pair from amazon.  WOW.  I'm a modder at heart and loved the minor mods you could do to the headphones when I read about them, so I figured I could get them to mess around with modding and practice my soldering skills even if the sound quality wasn't that great.  They are official the best pair of headphones I own....

Thanks for taking the time to write this, supremely valuable.  I'm sure I've just dipped my toes into very deep waters....

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #8,947 of 48,562
LOVE the KSC75... if it wasn't for the KSC35 being in my home, I'd get the KSC75 in a HEARTBEAT.

I use my KSC35 more than all my other headphones combined (seriously).

I use them at work basically all night, and when I'm laying down at home watching my anime, movies, when winding down, getting ready to sleep. Considering the KSC75 is even more comfy... I'm almost tempted on just getting them again for the comfort.

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #8,948 of 48,562
Quote:

I also have a 23' LCD monitor which I use with my PC, and suffer a lot less sickness from it and it usually doesn't last more than a few seconds. I'm getting used to it though, so no biggie.
Actually, I'm on the market for a new monitor. I've been looking at the new Dell S series (27', glossy, no PWM flicker!).

May I suggest looking at the monitors in this thread, which start at about $370 on ebay as of this post. They should be on par with the Dell ultrasharp series for half the price.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club

Edit: Just found this one on Slickdeals for $298. Man I would love to get one of these but I have no money and purchased a cheapo 27" Hanz-G, for the same price, before I found out about these awesome Korean monitors. With max 2560x1440 resolution you should be set for future High Def needs for quite some time.

Nov 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #8,949 of 48,562
Quote:
LOVE the KSC75... if it wasn't for the KSC35 being in my home, I'd get the KSC75 in a HEARTBEAT.
I use my KSC35 more than all my other headphones combined (seriously).
I use them at work basically all night, and when I'm laying down at home watching my anime, movies, when winding down, getting ready to sleep. Considering the KSC75 is even more comfy... I'm almost tempted on just getting them again for the comfort.

So is it worth it to spend the $45 of the 35's, or should I just put that money into a pair of decent over-the-ear models?  I just picked up a CMOY 18v [size=medium]JRC4556 Dual Op Amp too, btw.[/size]

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #8,950 of 48,562
Quote:
Again, not the setting, or whether it's claustrophobic or not. Just not into the type of shooter that it is, period. Actually, I prefer linearity and I guess you'd say 'claustrophobic' shooters, than wide open ones anyways. That's why I don't like Battlefield, or Far Cry. Too open.

Heh, and to think that I hated the CoD2 and CoD4 demos precisely because they were way too linear and scripted...

For singleplayer FPSs, I don't mind a linear progression, so long as that line has some width to it and lets me approach objectives the way I best see fit, something like Crysis or Deus Ex. I like that openness, or at least the feeling of multiple approaches even in more confined areas.

P.S.: CAST IN THE NAME OF GOD, YE NOT GUILTY

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #8,952 of 48,562
Quote:

May I suggest looking at the monitors in this thread, which start at about $370 on ebay as of this post. They should be on par with the Dell ultrasharp series for half the price.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club

Edit: Just found this one on Slickdeals for $298. Man I would love to get one of these but I have no money and purchased a cheapo 27" Hanz-G, for the same price, before I found out about these awesome Korean monitors. With max 2560x1440 resolution you should be set for future High Def needs for quite some time.

Yup, I've read a lot about korean monitors. I'm just trying to stay away from those becacause: 1) I've built my new PC just recently and I highly doubt my gtx660 would be able to run any game with medium/high settings @ that resolution. 2) Shipping cost too high if you have to send 'em back. 3) No warranty, faulty, dying monitors after just a few months of use...Uhm, no thank you. 4) Looking for multi-input, because I want to use my PS3 with it.

Quote:

W-what have you done? T_T

Quote:

So is it worth it to spend the $45 of the 35's, or should I just put that money into a pair of decent over-the-ear models?  I just picked up a CMOY 18v [size=medium]JRC4556 Dual Op Amp too, btw.[/size]

IMHO it's not worth it. I'd just go with the 75's, which are just as good and more comfy.

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #8,953 of 48,562
THAT is my fave type of shooter.
CoD
Gears of War
Uncharted
Those are examples of games like that.
I'd also like to try Spec Ops: The Line. I heard it has a fantastic story, and I liked the demo.

Exactly, it's like participating in a movie, letting a "director" guide your experience. In good games, this can be a powerful way to tell a story. Sometimes, with not-so-good games, I think I would be a better director. In more "open" games, you get to choose your own experience. But anyway, you all get this.

I'm actually curious about what happens in Gears of War's story. It's just that the contrived cover system makes movement sticky and action slow, and the game has overall the loosest "controls" for a shooter I have ever played. I played it for like six days, little bit at a time, but the gameplay was just so unfun the experience was ruined for me. I think the last thing that happened was I had to avoid shadow areas, else some kind of bats would eat Fenix? It's been a long time; GoW was my first game for the 360.

Darinmc,
The difference between the KSC 75 and 35 is mainly down to the ear clip holds the driver closer to your ear, which trades comfort for a bit more bass presence (and less soundstage?). They both use the same driver in an open enclosure; if you press the KSC 75 closer to your ears you will hear what the KSC 35 sounds like, any other difference is just down to manufacturing variance. Choose based on your own preference, personally I would get the KSC 75 if I didn't already enjoy my Sennheiser PX100 for the same purpose.

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #8,954 of 48,562
Hopefully soon, I will have my mind made up on what to actually settle with. :rolleyes:
HD650 or HE-400...
Trust me... I know. :ph34r:
I may have to eat my words and go back to the HE-400+E17 and use the bass boost...
I really, truly miss the HE-400. The HD650 has shown me what mids do, and the HE-400 is a perfect balance of lows, mids, and highs.
The HD650 isn't as good for gaming as the DT990, but I find myself not caring. They do good enough, and that warm, full sound is just... unbelievable for music, movies, etc. It reminds me of the HE-400, without the HE-400's amazing holographic imaging and soundstage. So it's gonna go either way, but I'm only keeping one headphone + E17 for EQ-ed gaming with the HE-400, or none at all with the HD650. The trade off being the HE400 not having as amazing mids as the HD650, but the HD650 not having that planar magic.

After several edits, I'm just not sure what to say about all that. I'm sorry you're not happy :frowning2:

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #8,955 of 48,562
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH1440-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B0073P4ESO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

What do you think about those MLE? One of the reviews compared the DT 990, AKG 701, and HD650 and liked these the best, claiming he finally found a can that does it all for him.

I could have bought them for $265 on ebay but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger, especially since i just got the DT 990s

Might be worth looking into if you want to try something new

Edit: Oops, the person who said that was reviewing the 1840, not the 1440

Users who are viewing this thread

Back