Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #8,911 of 48,566
Quote:
Should I get a Sennheiser PC360 for $210 or the Beyerdynamic DT990 32 ohm's for $370?
Primar use: Gaming & bass music.
How big of a difference is the bass comparison between the DT990's and the PC360's? Like if you were to rate both of their bass quality out of a scale of 1 to 10.
Will the bass of the PC360 be sufficient or will it be disappointing?
I would just get the DT990's if there wasn't such a huge price gap...

Oh, this is probably a really stupid question, but i'm assuming the PC360's bass would still destroy the bass of a Turtle Beach XP500 right?
That was my headset until it decided to break... cheap plastic.

Wow that cost of the 32ohms is insane. At that price I would just bite the extra ohms and get the 250ohm pros. At almost 400 dollars (I don't know where you live) you are stepping into a lot of headphone choices. The PC360s will own the TB in clarity that goes without saying. Bass I have no clue.
I do know just from enough reading any of the DT990 32-600 will completely wipe the floor with the PC360 in a straight up bass fight.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #8,913 of 48,566
Wooot, Amazon just sent my X1 which I ordered 2 days ago, should be here in max 2 days. Looking forward to try them out with the Mixamp and X-FI HD/D2

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #8,914 of 48,566
Wow that cost of the 32ohms is insane. At that price I would just bite the extra ohms and get the 250ohm pros. At almost 400 dollars (I don't know where you live) you are stepping into a lot of headphone choices. The PC360s will own the TB in clarity that goes without saying. Bass I have no clue.
I do know just from enough reading any of the DT990 32-600 will completely wipe the floor with the PC360 in a straight up bass fight.

Bass on the xp500s is extremely light... I would expect the PC360 to have more impact and depth, take this with a grain of salt though as I have not heard the PC360s. The Dt990s in any ohm flavor will dominate the xp500s bass wise. Agreed, $364 for a new pair of dt990s is pretty insane. Xhunched do you live in NA? Amazon has some "used-very good pairs" for ~210... If you don't like the condidition you can always return them (amazon warehouse).

Hailin- if no one can test this for you I'll test it for you but it won't be for a while as I'm at work. Hopefully someone can get to it sooner than I can.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #8,915 of 48,566
Quote:
Should I get a Sennheiser PC360 for $210 or the Beyerdynamic DT990 32 ohm's for $370?
Primar use: Gaming & bass music.
How big of a difference is the bass comparison between the DT990's and the PC360's? Like if you were to rate both of their bass quality out of a scale of 1 to 10.
Will the bass of the PC360 be sufficient or will it be disappointing?
I would just get the DT990's if there wasn't such a huge price gap...

Oh, this is probably a really stupid question, but i'm assuming the PC360's bass would still destroy the bass of a Turtle Beach XP500 right?
That was my headset until it decided to break... cheap plastic.

I vote a DT990 (or DT880) Pro 250-Ohm and maybe (if needed) a Fiio E09 headphone amplifier.
and any add-on Mic of your choice.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #8,916 of 48,566
Mad,
Far as I know, EA games are the only ones that degrade the second hand experience by requiring multiplayer registration codes. You will be able to play multiplayer on your rental. As far as multiplayer itself, it only takes a few shots from AR weapons to burst shields, and of course other weapons can change that formula. Player health is only slightly better than a CoD player, but that health increase + weapon pickups + no death from above killstreaks = a more aggressive play style that rewards movement and timing more than corner camping. While seeing 32:6 k:d scores will become rare, you may find Halo 4 multiplayer to grow on you... my Milage is that I feel far less frustrated by opponents, and it feels more like a sport.

Hailin,
Using your own music does replace in-game soundtrack. However, it [appropriately] pauses music during the [in-game or eerie realisticly pre-rendered] cutscenes, and podcasts from "this American Life" clearly do not match the game tone, lol. As an aside, I would definitely not characterize the new soundtrack as "booming," it has a few fun moments but honestly I don't find the soundtrack memorable, it's definitely background fare. It's subtle though; while ES: Oblivion's soundtrack annoys me after a little while, mostly Halo 4's soundtrack does it's thing to set the mood, but mainly stays at a subconscious level of awareness.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #8,917 of 48,566
Any input on the best native Xbox 360 headset under $100? I can't justify springing for a Mixamp + solid headset combo at this point.

Stn.
In case you didn't get the impression from the guide on the first page of this thread, the general discovery made by the thread has been that NONE of the sub-$100 gaming headsets are very good, more expensive headsets improve on sound quality but are still poor values compared to an audiophile headphone, $2 clip-on mike, and a virtual surround processor. Cheap headsets are also known for poor build quality and break/wear out easily (I've heard too many stories about TB headsets breaking while putting them on the head), so good headphones pay off in that way too.

Want the cheapest setup that will blow away any sub-$100 headset? Koss KSC-75, a used Turtle Beach DSS on eBay, $2 DealExtreme clip-on/lapel mic that MLE has a link for in his guide or the twin "Neewer" brand available for faster shipping from Amazon that I have (3 pack, all work), and then a trip to MonoPrice.com to pick up any cables needed if the used DSS doesn't come with them.

I don't know anyone who has used the Astro A30, but Jude liked it better than the more expensive A40, so that may be a good way to get a Mixamp and a "starter" headphone. You can later plug any other headphone into the Mixamp... read the guide for worthwhile suggestions, and also look into Head-Fi reviews on AD-700, Creative Aurvana Live!, Samson, and Takstar.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #8,918 of 48,566
Quote:
Hailin- if no one can test this for you I'll test it for you but it won't be for a while as I'm at work. Hopefully someone can get to it sooner than I can.

Thanks I think Evshrug got us an answer.

Quote:
Hailin,
Using your own music does replace in-game soundtrack. However, it [appropriately] pauses music during the [in-game or eerie realisticly pre-rendered] cutscenes, and podcasts from "this American Life" clearly do not match the game tone, lol. As an aside, I would definitely not characterize the new soundtrack as "booming," it has a few fun moments but honestly I don't find the soundtrack memorable, it's definitely background fare. It's subtle though; while ES: Oblivion's soundtrack annoys me after a little while, mostly Halo 4's soundtrack does it's thing to set the mood, but mainly stays at a subconscious level of awareness.

Thanks so much Ev. I am most definitely going to have to snap this game up. I will have the soundtrack on during first game play but next one co-op on Legendary won't want any soundtrack on. AC3 turned it off, Borderlands 2 turned it off. I play most games with my own soundtrack or it turned off. I am an enviromental atmosphere whore, I guess?
Quote:
Stn.
In case you didn't get the impression from the guide on the first page of this thread, the general discovery made by the thread has been that NONE of the sub-$100 gaming headsets are very good, more expensive headsets improve on sound quality but are still poor values compared to an audiophile headphone, $2 clip-on mike, and a virtual surround processor.
Want the cheapest setup that will blow away any sub-$100 headset? Koss KSC-75, a used Turtle Beach DSS on eBay, $2 DealExtreme clip-on/lapel mic that MLE has a link for in his guide or the twin "Neewer" brand available for faster shipping from Amazon that I have (3 pack, all work), and then a trip to MonoPrice.com to pick up any cables needed if the used DSS doesn't come with them.
I don't know anyone who has used the Astro A30, but Jude liked it better than the more expensive A40, so that may be a good way to get a Mixamp and a "starter" headphone. You can later plug any other headphone into the Mixamp... read the guide for worthwhile suggestions, and also look into Head-Fi reviews on AD-700, Creative Aurvana Live!, Samson, and Takstar.

+1 the KSC75 is fantastic I really need to buy a new set.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #8,919 of 48,566
About to go pick up Halo from Redbox.

As for the DT990s, do NOT get them for that new price. Thats almost twice what they used to go for. Get them in like new condition for just over $200. Keep checki g Amazon's used listings. They change daily. Prices, listings come and go.

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #8,920 of 48,566
Thanks I think Evshrug got us an answer.

Thanks so much Ev. I am most definitely going to have to snap this game up. I will have the soundtrack on during first game play but next one co-op on Legendary won't want any soundtrack on. AC3 turned it off, Borderlands 2 turned it off. I play most games with my own soundtrack or it turned off. I am an enviromental atmosphere whore, I guess?
+1 the KSC75 is fantastic I really need to buy a new set.

Hailin,
Glad to help. I'm not sure how to turn music off altogether, never tried, but I guess you could be playing music and turn the volume all the way down from the guide menu. I personally love music in games, I think it adds drive and liveliness when they added occasional music in Black Ops multiplayer. I get a better score when I stimulate my brain with some energetic music, than I get from sound whoring. Just a personal thing.

MLE,
Interested to hear your impressions. Halo 4 may or may not click for you, but it will definitely feel fresh vs CoD and BF, and more fleshed out than ME3 (at least in ME3's multiplayer, I have yet to play campaign). Like I said above, I had a few minor gripes, but the game has won me over and I'm a fan :)

I forget off the top of my head if you say sub-$100 console headsets aren't worth it, but feel free to copy/paste parts of my response to Stn. if you agree. That way, you can help people with that question without having to repeat yourself... unless you already did say "here's the recommended sub-$100 setup" or something like that and I just missed it. Ha! :)

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #8,921 of 48,566
Played about 2 hours. Its definitely the prettiest Halo. However, its pretty standard Halo action. Like it, but dont love it. Keep in mind im not a Halo fan. If you are, Halo 4 will be just as good as the rest, if not better.

Soundwise, it does sound like they improved the quality everywhere.

As far as positional cues, it feels pretty standard. Not really gonna be a game I'd demo for virtual surround, fwih so far. If I had to rate HD650 performance from Halo 4, I'd probably lower competitive to a 7. The DT990 is definitely superior in soundstage width and depth.

As for multiplayer, it seems that its on disc 2. Redbox only has the first disc, so looks like im screwed there.

edit: Update: Meh, I guess I've outgrown Halo. I'm returning it today. Not even gonna finish it. Not that it's a bad game, but I guess I'm just not pleased with Halo overall.

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #8,922 of 48,566
MLE you should try Dishonored if you haven't already. It's kinda like Bioshock, but with stealth.

I'm not even that much into first person games (headache issues), but loved this one to death. Music and atmosphere are top notch, also really liked the city and all the lore around it and its inhabitants.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #8,923 of 48,566
MLE you should try Dishonored if you haven't already. It's kinda like Bioshock, but with stealth.

I'm not even that much into first person games (headache issues), but loved this one to death. Music and atmosphere are top notch, also really liked the city and all the lore around it and its inhabitants.

Don't like Bioshock, and the vids I have seen of Dishonored gave me the same feeling.

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #8,924 of 48,566
Quote:
Don't like Bioshock, and the vids I have seen of Dishonored gave me the same feeling.

Same goes for me here.

While I dig the steampunk setting, having your character go to crushing depth...
Bioshock is just too claustrophobic for my taste.  After a short while, every corridor looks the same.
Plus all those psycho running about...

Not sure if I like Bioshock Infinite either... not that fond of heights.

I'd more probably prefer the psycho of Farcry3.  They seem to have more 'character' that you can hate.
Instead of Bioshock's 'I'd rather not even go anywhere near em'.
Bioshock setting just seems like a mental asylum with no guards, deep in the bottom of the sea...
Not a place I'd want to be in for even a second.

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #8,925 of 48,566
It's not about the setting. It's about the type of gameplay. I'm really picky with shooters, and Bioshock did nothing for me. Watched plenty of Dishonoured vids, and I was like "Yeah, no thanks".

Probably wouldn't like FC3 wither, as I didn't like the others.

I'm stupid anal about shooters, really. I don't like the vast majority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back