Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 10, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #8,972 of 48,566
Thanks so much chroniX, that worked! However, i noticed that whenever i change windows audio settings to 5.1 - it forced X-Fi control panel to switch to 5.1 as well.

As a result, it sounded like the CMSS-3D issue is fixed but the sound is missing bass altogether. (as if im trying to listen to 5.1 sound using stereo)

Is there a way to stop/disable windows audio settings from syncing with XFi control panel?

Thanks again in advance for all your help thus far!

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #8,973 of 48,566
Schedule an appointment with your cardiologist and optometrist. The game is that bad. Makes the Goldeneye reboot look like a fluke.

Going off what you've read or played? Because I'm enjoying it. It's got Call of Duty written all over it, down to the perks (even in the Campaign). Sire. it's a watered down CoD, but it's still entertaining.

Enjoying it more than Halo 4. It's a RENTAL at least.

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #8,976 of 48,566
It sounded good off the MK2 to me.  HE-400 kinda sounds good off a lot of stuff.

^This. It managed to sound awesome even off my PC's headphone jack... which is hard to do.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #8,978 of 48,566
Not sure, but I didn't like them as much off the E17 alone than my NFB5. I'm really pessimistic about amp improvements, but I do believe that the HE400 deserves more than the E17 alone. Not sure how that LD amp will sound though. I believe anything that smoothens the treble a little will be an improvement, as the HE400 can be screechy at times.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #8,980 of 48,566
Well, I 'll just keep the e17 then. Money is a bit tight now. I just went to the local cans store today to buy a 990 pro for my friend and saw the mk2. Too bad i didnt test it with the he 400 since the store is crowded. but I got a chance to test the d7000.
D7000 seems emphasized vocal a little bit and the bass is more impact compared with he400. The sound is very good but its 995usd price tag is just too much for me now. comfort wise I think its better than 990 pro, perfect weight and clamping. In just wish denon put velour on it. The leather is hot and sweaty.
Impression for he400 after 2 weeks. Mine is rev2, since the rev3 is cancelled by hifiman. Sound wise the he 400 is neutral, nothing is emphazised. Atleast to my ear, i might be wrong. But I like it. I find it less tiring to hear than ie8 and m50.
1 thing i missed from ie8 is the soundstage. I think the He400 is smaller, but not much from ie8. I might be wrong but again, its my ear.
envy, I noticed you got 650 on your sig, care to give a review for gaming with it?
Thanks for this useful thread.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #8,981 of 48,566
Well, I 'll just keep the e17 then. Money is a bit tight now. I just went to the local cans store today to buy a 990 pro for my friend and saw the mk2. Too bad i didnt test it with the he 400 since the store is crowded. but I got a chance to test the d7000.
D7000 seems emphasized vocal a little bit and the bass is more impact compared with he400. The sound is very good but its 995usd price tag is just too much for me now. comfort wise I think its better than 990 pro, perfect weight and clamping. In just wish denon put velour on it. The leather is hot and sweaty.
Impression for he400 after 2 weeks. Mine is rev2, since the rev3 is cancelled by hifiman. Sound wise the he 400 is neutral, nothing is emphazised. Atleast to my ear, i might be wrong. But I like it. I find it less tiring to hear than ie8 and m50.
1 thing i missed from ie8 is the soundstage. I think the He400 is smaller, but not much from ie8. I might be wrong but again, its my ear.
envy, I noticed you got 650 on your sig, care to give a review for gaming with it?
Thanks for this useful thread.

You know it's coming, silly. :p

And yes, the D7000 is amazing... and you mirrored pretty much what I felt... I wish it didn't have the damn pleather pads.

The HE400... I wouldn't call it neutral. The bass and treble is emphasized, but I WOULD call them natural sounding, though the treble is more emphasized compared to the bass and mids. Still, the sound as a whole is pretty natural and lively for a dark headphone.

Raw spoilers for my HD650 review:

Fun: 8
Competitive: 7
Comfort: 8

That's what I'm feeling.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #8,982 of 48,566
Well, the d7000 leather is much better than m50 imo. Less heat but still sweaty after just 10 mins. The feel on my skin is better. I dont know how to say it in english, but its much better than the AT.
Compared to 990, m50 and ie8, he 400 is neutral on my ear. Nothing is overpronounced and the sound is less tiring. Gaming wise I think i like the 990 pro than the he400. The soundstage is just better. he 400 is better for imaging and detail. Music wise, he400 no competition.
Can't wait for the 650 full review. Although its too late since I already bought the he400, but I didn't regret it a bit.
hd650 do clamp a bit when i tested it. feels like m50, but with velour pad. Its light weight and fairly comfortable, but the clamping force feels like its a closed hp... like you said, sennheiser do like their clamping...

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #8,983 of 48,566
Quote:
Thanks so much chroniX, that worked! However, i noticed that whenever i change windows audio settings to 5.1 - it forced X-Fi control panel to switch to 5.1 as well.

As a result, it sounded like the CMSS-3D issue is fixed but the sound is missing bass altogether. (as if im trying to listen to 5.1 sound using stereo)

Is there a way to stop/disable windows audio settings from syncing with XFi control panel?

Thanks again in advance for all your help thus far!

The only way to keep the settings from syncing under Vista/Win7/Win8 is to set the X-Fi control panel to Headphones. Unfortunately, Creative didn't bother to include a checkbox for those OSes like they do with XP.

Personally, I've never had issues with CMSS-3D Headphone reducing the apparent soundstage. If anything, it tends to increase it...strange.

If there isn't enough bass for your tastes, that's what the bass boost option is for (along with EQ for more fine-grained adjustments).

And an aside for MLE...I've been wondering if an Ace Attorney-style Big O game would work out, at least for the investigative portions before switching to the usual giant robot fighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back