Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 10, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #3,076 of 48,578
I had the AX720 and PC360 in the house at the same time (roomie owned the AX720, while I owned the PC360). The PC360 is a pretty significant upgrade over the AX720. Clarity, positioning, soundstage are all better on the PC360. The AX720 is a closed headphone which takes a huge hit on competing with a stellar open can like the PC360. AX720 is a good starter headset, while the PC360 is a good ENDGAME headset.

However, if you're thinking about pairing the Pc360 with the AX720's amp, certain people on Avsforum have had issues getting the mic on the PC360 to function with the AX720 amp. I don't recall pairing them up together, and if I did, I'm sure I didn't test the mic. My tests here have nothing to do with the mic.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #3,078 of 48,578
Mad lust, did you use sitrep pro (i.e louder enemy footsteps) when testing these? Also have you played mw3 and how would you compare the sound on that to cod4? 

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #3,080 of 48,578
I've tried some soundmagic E10's with my x41's. I really wouldn't recommend it for gaming, Sound is very harsh but if you don't turn the volume up you wont be able to hear anything. I'd stick to full size cans if I were you, although Mad lust did mention the koss kcs75's, which I should be getting in a few days so I'll test them out.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #3,081 of 48,578

What about in-ear headphones, are they any good for gaming? What's the difference between full sized headphones and in-ear headphones for gaming?

Typically IEMS lack in soundstage and positional audio compared to open cans and proper gaming headphones. That said, there are a few designs from companies such as Razer (not saying I'd recommend it) which are advertised as mobile headsets. I wouldn't really bite on them, and you don't really feel like a big deal when you have them on, if that's what floats your boat.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #3,082 of 48,578
I've tried good in-ears with the MixAmp--still doesn't compare to good headphones and MixAmp. If you want to game, you want headphones.

Impedance is something to keep in mind, but you should not look for headphone by starting with impedance. Just look for good gaming headphones first, and then look for the ones that work best with/without an amp.

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #3,083 of 48,578

Quote:
The only others is like the AX720, but it essentially the same as the Mixamp. I don't understand the need to hear yourself. Talk normally, the others will hear you just fine...oh wait you're using the god awful Zalman that you pretty much DO need to scream into. Get the dealextreme clip on. Just like the Zalman... except it works... and costs less than $5.

I can come up with two very good reasons you need to hear youself talk. 1. Do you hear any deaf people talking like a person without any disabilities? Rarely. You need to hear yourself talk to learn how to talk, and 2. You need to hear yourself talk to speak correctly all the time.

Examples of my problem with the A40s and the MixAmp 5.8
1. It's like standing at the side of a parade and trying to talk to someone by you while there's a fire truck blowing its horn right in front of you.
2. Wear open headphones, play them really loud with either explosions and guns firing, or music and try talking normally to your friends that you can hear through the speakers. Maybe you can do it, but that is a gift I do not have.

Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #3,086 of 48,578

Quote:
Im using the LCD-2's with mix amp.  Works well...

I have not done that test yet...

Want to extend on how LCD-2 works with mixamp for gaming? :)

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #3,087 of 48,578
I'm using it with a 1/8 converter plug. I'm still doing burn in but it sounds very good straight from the mix amp.  Of course I'm not going to use it like that always.  I'm waiting on my amps to come in and than I will hook my amps up through optic in my tv.  
As sound goes I think its still too early to say because I've only have had the LCD-2 for the past 2 days.  But right out of the box all I can say they sound fantastic through the mix amp.  Sound stage is good enough for me at the moment.  Everything is very clear.  So far.  AFter burn it should get only better.  

Quote:
I have not done that test yet...

Want to extend on how LCD-2 works with mixamp for gaming? :)

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #3,088 of 48,578
Ok do I have spent the better part of the last 3 days reading everything about headphone/set. At this moment I'm leaning towards the k701/2 with a mixamp, undecided on wireless/wired, and the e5 amp. As far as mic not quite sure yet haven't found anything that is helpful in that area.

I mainly play mw3 on Xbox but almost anything else I play on pc when applicable. Now the question I have is should I be considering the Pc360's? Overall want the best sound quality and don't see the k701 set up too inconvenient to avoid it in favor of a headset. That said if the difference in sound quality is minuscule then there is no reason not to get the pc360's.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #3,089 of 48,578

Quote:
Ok do I have spent the better part of the last 3 days reading everything about headphone/set. At this moment I'm leaning towards the k701/2 with a mixamp, undecided on wireless/wired, and the e5 amp. As far as mic not quite sure yet haven't found anything that is helpful in that area.
I mainly play mw3 on Xbox

What? I was told really only the AX720 amp and  MixAmp were the only amps that allowed to you have quality sound and be able to use a mic on XBOX.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #3,090 of 48,578
Only getting the e5 if I get the k701/2 because some people have mentioned that if you mix voice and game chat the mixamp can't really push the drivers in those particular headphones. If I were to get the pc360 I would have no need for the e5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back