Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 7, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #3,047 of 48,583
The wired mixamp can run off usb power instead of batteries, same as the wired mixamp.  Wired mixamp is most likely called "Pro" because its the one MLG uses; wireless mixamps all over the place would be an interference nightmare.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #3,048 of 48,583

I will be using a wireless mixamp as MLE has stated there is no noticeable difference in SQ between wired and wireless. Plus, I play in my living room. And my TV is not feasibility near me to run a wired mixamp all the way to my couch. It would be too messy.
Quote:
The wired mixamp can run off usb power instead of batteries, same as the wired mixamp.  Wired mixamp is most likely called "Pro" because its the one MLG uses; wireless mixamps all over the place would be an interference nightmare.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #3,049 of 48,583
Probably the most interesting topic about gaming headphones/headsets I've ever red. Great work Mad Lust Envy, I really appreciate your posts! But of course, I can't read all 204 pages so I apologize if this question has been asked before.

I am currently looking for a new gaming headset (or headphones). First, I was only looking at the headsets because I didn't even know a lot of people used the combination of headphones + separate mic. But on an other forum, someone advised me to look up some headphone-reviews like the AD700 and that's how I ended up here and I already red some very interesting stuff over here.

But honestly, I still prefer a descent headset because that's an 'all-in-one-solution'. Besides that, a lot of the headphones you reviewed are quite expensive and hard to find in Belgium. So I was happy to see that you really appreciated the Sennheiser PC360; it's a headset and it fits my budget perfectly. I don't know when you wrote that review but has anything changed since then? Are there other headsets I should take a look at? My budget is somewhere around 200$ so there are a lot of headsets to choose from: Corsair 1500, Tritton Ax Pro (not an option since you didn't seem to like it :D), Razer Megalodon,...

Can any of these expensive headsets match the Sennheiser PC360? Or is the PC360 still 'the way to go' if you are looking for a good gaming headset?

Thanks in advance for possible replies!

B.T.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #3,050 of 48,583
I still absolutely recommend the PC360. It's incredibly solid and well balanced for all forms of gaming. It's not going to jump out and grab you in terms of dynamics, but it won't lack in anything really. It's just a very great performer, and should honestly be what people should consider as their headset.

New headsets have arrived, like the Tritton Warhead and Turtle Beach Deltas, but I haven't had the chance to try those, nor do I want to. I'm completely satisfied with the PC360+Mixamp combo. For anything else, that's what non-gaming headphones are for.

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #3,051 of 48,583

Quote:
I will be using a wireless mixamp as MLE has stated there is no noticeable difference in SQ between wired and wireless. Plus, I play in my living room. And my TV is not feasibility near me to run a wired mixamp all the way to my couch. It would be too messy.

If you have an electrical outlet near your seating position, you can always use an USB cable with AC adapter to power your wireless mixamp.  I've done this before in a pinch and it works great.   

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #3,052 of 48,583

Quote:
I still absolutely recommend the PC360. It's incredibly solid and well balanced for all forms of gaming. It's not going to jump out and grab you in terms of dynamics, but it won't lack in anything really. It's just a very great performer, and should honestly be what people should consider as their headset.
New headsets have arrived, like the Tritton Warhead and Turtle Beach Deltas, but I haven't had the chance to try those, nor do I want to. I'm completely satisfied with the PC360+Mixamp combo. For anything else, that's what non-gaming headphones are for.

Thanks for replying so fast, really appreciate it!

Ok, I made my choice and I'm going to order a PC360. But what exactly does the 'Astro MixAmp USB 7.1 Surround' do? Does it do the same as a dedicated soundcard? Because a mixamp is quite expensive and hard to get (I'm talking about Belgium right now), while a dedicated soundcard only costs half as much (the Asus Xonar D1 for example).

Or am I now mixing up two different pieces of hardware?

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #3,053 of 48,583

Quote:
Thanks for replying so fast, really appreciate it!

Ok, I made my choice and I'm going to order a PC360. But what exactly does the 'Astro MixAmp USB 7.1 Surround' do? Does it do the same as a dedicated soundcard? Because a mixamp is quite expensive and hard to get (I'm talking about Belgium right now), while a dedicated soundcard only costs half as much (the Asus Xonar D1 for example).

Or am I now mixing up two different pieces of hardware?

If you're gaming on consoles then get the mixamp, if you're gaming on the pc get a good sound card. If you use the mixamp on the pc using the usb it just works as a stereo amp, you dont get use of any of it's features.

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #3,054 of 48,583

Quote:
If you're gaming on consoles then get the mixamp, if you're gaming on the pc get a good sound card. If you use the mixamp on the pc using the usb it just works as a stereo amp, you dont get use of any of it's features.

Ok, thanks for your reply Weez. A soundcard is a lot cheaper so that way I can save some money.

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #3,055 of 48,583
I currently have the Tritton AX 720.  How much of an improvement in overall sound quality and directional cues would I likely experience if I were to use the PC 360s with the 720 amp?

How does the bass in the 720 headphones and the PC 360s compare?

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #3,056 of 48,583

Thanks for the read Shin (Hope you don't mind, mad lust is rather long). Your post was very helpful on the gaming side of things but didn't delve too deeply into how the headphones were for music. I'll read up some more on how each of the recommended phones perform in regards to music in the other threads then get back to you, but for now I wanted to ask when you tested these phones did you test them using sitrep pro or without.

When I was playing mw2 I purchased the x1's (my first gaming headset) and I have to say my game improved greatly. Then when I unlocked sitrep pro my game improved even more dramatically. Although it was using stereo sound I was able to pinpoint the direction of enemies. I felt like I was cheating. Unless they were using Ninja pro nobody would be able to sneak up on me. Looking back now I think this had more to do with me knowing the maps so well rather than the x1's pinpointing the sound (I'm no audiophile). When blackops came out however, I could hardly hear enemies sneaking up on me. I haven't researched it but I'm pretty sure it's because the developers messed around with the sound to take the advantage away. 

It seems the same case with mw3. I have the x41's and I have the same problem with hearing footsteps. the sound isn't as much of an advantage to me as it used to be. I have a feeling the devs deliberately did this. Anyway the question I wanted to ask was have you played BO and MW3 and do you feel the same? 

On the topic of x41's, I'm surprised you haven't tried them considering your list is quite impressive. Gotta say I really hate them. The amount of hissing is just ridiculous and drives you mad. One good thing about it is that the soundstage is pretty good, and the bass boost button is brilliant. I got it for half the RRP though and I feel my money isn't completely wasted since I have the amp that comes with it, which I intend to put to good use by getting a pair of good phones. When you say fun what do you actually mean? Sorry for the long read and thanks in advance :)

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #3,057 of 48,583
This thread is so long (204 pages!), can I just ask what was discussed and if there was any useful information that was mention e.g a pair of headphones other than the ones the OP mentioned that are good for gaming with dolby.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #3,058 of 48,583
So you're looking for headphones other than the ones mentioned in the original updated thread to consider, is that right? Might I ask why? What are you looking to get out of these headphones/Headset? What uses aside from gaming would you be looking to get out of them?

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #3,059 of 48,583
Just thought I'd report in to say that I picked up a Titanium HD and it's awesome. I've really missed virtual surround sound on my single player PC gaming.
gs1000.gif

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #3,060 of 48,583

Quote:
So you're looking for headphones other than the ones mentioned in the original updated thread to consider, is that right? Might I ask why? What are you looking to get out of these headphones/Headset? What uses aside from gaming would you be looking to get out of them?

I'm just keeping my options open. Out of the headphones the Op mentioned there are only 2 that I can realistically afford, the AT770 and the HD598. Both are very different. My requirements for headphones are quite a bit more broad. They need to be good for Cod, but they also need to be great for music i.e J-pop/rock. I'm also thinking of using these for the Wii (still haven't played Zelda!). From what I've read the 598 lacks bass and is very neutral. I've never listened to high end-headphones so I might find these a bit cold and boring. The DT770 tick nearly all the boxes but the bass is a slight concern since the x41 amp doesn't have an Equaliser (The DT770 looks terrible compared to the 598's)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back