Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #3,061 of 48,583
There's also the AKG701 (or Q701) that you should take into account as well. A lil bit over your budget, but still worthy of consideration...

Or if you are worried about the bass, then there's the Senn 558. Not as boomy as the 770, but definitely better than the 555/598.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #3,062 of 48,583
How is the 558 better than the 598? They are in the same series, and the 598 is the higher end version... Unless you meant the 558 being better than the 595.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #3,063 of 48,583

Quote:
There's also the AKG701 (or Q701) that you should take into account as well. A lil bit over your budget, but still worthy of consideration...

Or if you are worried about the bass, then there's the Senn 558. Not as boomy as the 770, but definitely better than the 555/598.

It's quite a lot out of my price range
darthsmile.gif

The lowest price I could find is higher than the rrp of the DT770's! I haven't done enough research on the 558's but I did try them in an HMV shop and out of all the phones they had there, they sounded the best to me. Sound leakage might be a problem though as I don't really like other people hearing what I'm listening to but I don't really keep my music loud. Thanks for suggesting them, I was being rather close minded. I'll do some research.

Edit: While we're on the subject on AKG, how would you rate the K240 mkII?

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #3,064 of 48,583
I currently have the Tritton AX 720.  How much of an improvement in overall sound quality and directional cues would I likely experience if I were to use the PC 360s with the 720 amp?

How does the bass in the 720 headphones and the PC 360s compare?

Thanks.

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #3,065 of 48,583
Hey guys. So I find I get faster replies if I just post a question lol

-I have a refurbished Denon AH-D7000 pair being sent to my house for $600

-Thinking about getting the MixAmp 5.8 (I've already went through the A40s with them as a package, sent them back)

-Zalman clip on mic, thinking about switching to Labtec boom mic or some adhesive attatchment mic

My main question is, are there any amps other than the MixAmp that will allow me to have quality sound and be able to chat with friends on my XBOX and PS3 (or just XBOX)? I had a guy test it out for me and it IS the MixAmp that gave me little to no voice monitoring, and that's why I'm asking this. Since I can't hear myself I speak louder to wake up my parent and I speak mumbo jumbo to my friends sometimes. I have $400 left in my budget, maybe more once I get my refund from Astro. Please help :frowning2:

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #3,066 of 48,583

Quote:
How is the 558 better than the 598? They are in the same series, and the 598 is the higher end version... Unless you meant the 558 being better than the 595.

Meant the 595 indeed. Sorry. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayleighSilvers /img/forum/go_quote.gif

darthsmile.gif

The lowest price I could find is higher than the rrp of the DT770's! I haven't done enough research on the 558's but I did try them in an HMV shop and out of all the phones they had there, they sounded the best to me. Sound leakage might be a problem though as I don't really like other people hearing what I'm listening to but I don't really keep my music loud. Thanks for suggesting them, I was being rather close minded. I'll do some research.

Edit: While we're on the subject on AKG, how would you rate the K240 mkII?

You're welcome. In all honesty, all this talk about the sound leakage is excessive in my opinion. I mean, I own the 555 and play at mid levels and it definitely leaks, but not that much...

I don't know much about the AKG, sorry. I know only about the models I have mentioned before because I was looking for a new pair of headphones and did some research here on the forums and asked some users who had them already.

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #3,067 of 48,583

Quote:
darthsmile.gif

The lowest price I could find is higher than the rrp of the DT770's!

Have a look at Thomann online store. They are based in Germany but have the AKG K701 for ~£163 delivered which seems to be the cheapest way to get them in the UK. Dont know how close the K701 is to the next one down the K601 but the K601 is in the DT770's price range.

When I was looking the AKG K240 mkII was meant to have a small soundstage hence not great for gaming. The Fischer Audio FA-011 could be an option but Frogbeats who sells them in the UK still havnt got any new stock in.

Im waiting on my Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO's to arrive which could be another option but then you need an amp and things get messy fast.

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #3,068 of 48,583
Hey guys. So I find I get faster replies if I just post a question lol

-I have a refurbished Denon AH-D7000 pair being sent to my house for $600

-Thinking about getting the MixAmp 5.8 (I've already went through the A40s with them as a package, sent them back)

-Zalman clip on mic, thinking about switching to Labtec boom mic or some adhesive attatchment mic

My main question is, are there any amps other than the MixAmp that will allow me to have quality sound and be able to chat with friends on my XBOX and PS3 (or just XBOX)? I had a guy test it out for me and it IS the MixAmp that gave me little to no voice monitoring, and that's why I'm asking this. Since I can't hear myself I speak louder to wake up my parent and I speak mumbo jumbo to my friends sometimes. I have $400 left in my budget, maybe more once I get my refund from Astro. Please help :frowning2:

The only others is like the AX720, but it essentially the same as the Mixamp. I don't understand the need to hear yourself. Talk normally, the others will hear you just fine...oh wait you're using the god awful Zalman that you pretty much DO need to scream into. Get the dealextreme clip on. Just like the Zalman... except it works... and costs less than $5.

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #3,069 of 48,583

Quote:
The only others is like the AX720, but it essentially the same as the Mixamp. I don't understand the need to hear yourself. Talk normally, the others will hear you just fine...oh wait you're using the god awful Zalman that you pretty much DO need to scream into. Get the dealextreme clip on. Just like the Zalman... except it works... and costs less than $5.

Exactly. 

If the deal extreme is too cheap looking/feeling or you can't wait the month it will take to show up -- take a look at the AntLion ModMic.  That's an excellent way to add a boom mic to a headphone. 

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #3,070 of 48,583
I wanted to get a Mixamp pro for my PC, since I didnt feel the need for wireless, but they have a rechargable battery option for the pro version also. Is the wired amp itself battery powered?

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #3,071 of 48,583
The wired amp can be powered via USB or batteries/battery pack. Considering the wired version is already tethered to various things, I find the battery pack/batteries pointless.

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #3,072 of 48,583
Since I've been ignored twice now, I figured I'll try again.

I currently have the Tritton AX 720.  How much of an improvement in overall sound quality and directional cues would I likely experience if I were to use the PC 360s with the 720 amp?

Thanks.

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #3,073 of 48,583
I read you before, but I haven't own any of those, so I can't comment :p

Hey ppl! don't be lazy! answer :p

Quote:

Thanks.

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #3,074 of 48,583

Thanks.

Maybe you're not being ignored, but people don't have an answer? For eg I saw your question but have no experience with either the Sennheiser or Tritton, so naturally I can't respond.

Besides, it's only been 7 hours.

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #3,075 of 48,583
You'll be hard pressed to find someone who has had both the PC360 and the AX720.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back