Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 5, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #3,016 of 48,578
Nice Write up Mad Lust Envy. I think it was extremely detailed and extremely informative. Can you tell me what you feel is the best headset and mixamp for competitive gaming? It sounds like the 5.8 mixamp from Astro and the DD700 headset? I really dont have a budget, but I dont mind spending money on something that will help me be a better gamer...Thanks for your feedback.

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #3,019 of 48,578
Wieless mixamp is optical passthrough, no processing.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #3,021 of 48,578
I'm sorry, but was my question answered? I'm guessing it was about the PC360, but would the PC360 give me the best of both worlds better than any other combo? I'm on no budget except that I find it reasonable to say I can't afford both the D7000 and Bursons amp. I am picky about the sound headphones/headsets give, and I know Turtle Beaches and Astros are not my thing. I liked I could hear my own voice though with the TB. I want to enjoy the games I'm playing, be able to pick up sounds, and comfortably talk to my friends at the same time.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #3,022 of 48,578
I'm probably in the same boat as you. I've been reading for about a month now. And it seems the consensus is the PC 360. I could not find, nor was a recommended any other headset for the most part. MLE posted his review on the PC 360 I believe on the very first page of this thread. Check it out. The only downside it seems is possibly the price, and the open headset lacks privacy. I'm a newbie but hope I helped you out some.
Quote:
I'm sorry, but was my question answered? I'm guessing it was about the PC360, but would the PC360 give me the best of both worlds better than any other combo? I'm on no budget except that I find it reasonable to say I can't afford both the D7000 and Bursons amp. I am picky about the sound headphones/headsets give, and I know Turtle Beaches and Astros are not my thing. I liked I could hear my own voice though with the TB. I want to enjoy the games I'm playing, be able to pick up sounds, and comfortably talk to my friends at the same time.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #3,023 of 48,578
Phos, thank you for your sophisticated response. Very detailed. I do not have a gaming PC yet so I'll leave it alone for now. MLE.....So you said the wireless mixamp comes with an optical cable.. do I need to buy a longer one though? And do you know if I need to buy the PS3 chat cable for the wireless mixamp? Is it just a plane USB cable?? Because I have plenty of those.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #3,024 of 48,578

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghost23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only downside it seems is possibly the price, and the open headset lacks privacy. I'm a newbie but hope I helped you out some.

Thanks for replying at all lol. I might get a PC360 if I can't have real knowledgeable people help me, but my heart is set on a headphone since headphones are naturally built for sound they should have better SQ. Then I could just put it in an amp and clip on a mic. I'm afraid I won't be able to hear myself talk since it's a clip on mic, which is partly why I disliked the A40s.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #3,025 of 48,578

Quote:
Phos, thank you for your sophisticated response. Very detailed. I do not have a gaming PC yet so I'll leave it alone for now. MLE.....So you said the wireless mixamp comes with an optical cable.. do I need to buy a longer one though? And do you know if I need to buy the PS3 chat cable for the wireless mixamp? Is it just a plane USB cable?? Because I have plenty of those.

If you're on PS3 and plan to/want to chat, then you're going to need the ps3 chat cable.  It is (unfortunately) not a standard USB cable so you don't really have a choice but to buy it from them.  As far as the longer optical cable -- well, that really depends on where you plan on putting the base.  The included cable is plenty long enough if you plan on putting the base next to your console, not sure how much beyond that though.    

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #3,026 of 48,578

Quote:
Thanks for replying at all lol. I might get a PC360 if I can't have real knowledgeable people help me, but my heart is set on a headphone since headphones are naturally built for sound they should have better SQ. Then I could just put it in an amp and clip on a mic. I'm afraid I won't be able to hear myself talk since it's a clip on mic, which is partly why I disliked the A40s.

You plan on using the Astro mixamp?  If so, you won't have the problem of not being able to hear yourself regardless if you go headset or not.  Choose the headphone of your liking, throw on a clip on mic (or better yet AntLion Mod Mic) and you're set.  

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #3,027 of 48,578
I never have a problem hearing myself talk with the PC 360. You may with something like the MMX 300/DT770, but I can't speak from experience there.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #3,028 of 48,578
MLE recommended the DT 990s for more cinematic games/sound involved movies. I hope that's the right model number.  I was wondering, MLE, or anyone who has the knowledge. Do the DT 990s require double amping?? or will the mixamp be plenty to power it?

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #3,029 of 48,578

Quote:
MLE recommended the DT 990s for more cinematic games/sound involved movies. I hope that's the right model number.  I was wondering, MLE, or anyone who has the knowledge. Do the DT 990s require double amping?? or will the mixamp be plenty to power it?

Depending on the Ohms.

DT990/600 NEEDS double amping (E9 for example) since they are very hard to drive

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #3,030 of 48,578

Quote:
If I ever decide to game on PC.. will the mixamp help when gaming on PC as well? Or it's better to buy a good dedicated soundcard?

The Mixamp would help, but you'd get a lot more bang for your buck with a sound card for PC gaming (unless you're stuck on a laptop that can't take internal sound cards).

Xonar DG if you want to keep it on the cheap and have a PCI slot free, or X-Fi Forte (from a newer batch) or Titanium HD if you want to spend Mixamp-level money and want something with a PCI-Express interface that's sure to last across many motherboard upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back