Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #3,001 of 48,583
I owned both wired and wireless. They sound identical, The wired is slightly more powerful (you can drive the 600ohms Beyers at least loudly when fully powering game audio, whereas the wireless struggles to give them enough volume, let alone driving them decently). The wireless is also just ever so slightly brighter than the wired... talking about very insignificant difference in sound signature. Trained ears probably won't hear the difference 99% of the time.

People, keep in mind that the Mixamp isn't meant to handle 600ohm loads, so even if the wired drives it loudly, doesn't mean it drives it anything close to well, which is why an external amp is very beneficial.

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #3,003 of 48,583
I'm not sure. It's the only thing I bought from them, and I kept mine. The headband padding snagged on something and ripped it, so I'm sure I voided the warranty, lol.

Astrogaming is the only seller, so you can only buy it from them new, or try finding one used elsewhere.

Trust me, I'd have loved nothing more than to skip on getting it from them. Their shipping prices are absolutely absurd.

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #3,004 of 48,583
Yeah I heard they are like $30 USD just to ship.....If I buy the PC 360 and the Mixamp 8 Wireless. Do I need any other cables besides an Optical? Should I buy astro's optical or go to radio shack and buy a cheap optical cable?

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #3,005 of 48,583
It *should* come with an optical cable (very thin one, but optical cables all sound 100% the same). You can get good opticals from Amazon or Monoprice... DON'T get the optical cable from Monoprice with the fancy sleeve. Those can damage your optical ports due to heavy /bulky tips (messed up the opitcal input of my old wired mixamp, as well as my soundbar's optical port). Get the basic black one which is cheaper, and more flexible.

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #3,006 of 48,583
A lot of people have piercing treble...

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #3,007 of 48,583
HEY, the treble isn't as bad as I remember of my old DT990. :angry_face:

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #3,008 of 48,583

Quote:
I mean that in the way that if you start with the PC360, there really won't be anything to upgrade to in terms of a headset. Perfect start/finish? Lol.
biggrin.gif

The MMX300 is the other option, but it's closed and more expensive.

eek.gif

People have money to BURN.

I imagine they're just buying both and returning the one they don't like as much.  

Quote:
It *should* come with an optical cable (very thin one, but optical cables all sound 100% the same). You can get good opticals from Amazon or Monoprice... DON'T get the optical cable from Monoprice with the fancy sleeve. Those can damage your optical ports due to heavy /bulky tips (messed up the opitcal input of my old wired mixamp, as well as my soundbar's optical port). Get the basic black one which is cheaper, and more flexible.

That very thin optical cable contains all the working parts of the thicker one.  There's no point to shielding an optical cable beyond visual occlusion, and having the fiber itself widen past the tiny opening would probably result in internal reflections.  

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #3,009 of 48,583
That's what I'm saying. The fancy one is just for looks, and to me is bound to be cumbersome.

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #3,010 of 48,583

Quote:
Go through the intro sequence again, just as you're about to be executed until Alduin wrecks the whole place...there will be a brief moment when your head's facing the ground and you can distinctly hear the chaos and carnage happening from behind your head. I think it's a nice, immersive touch.

Good idea! Except I don't want to risk accidentally saving over my character again. I lost 23 hours of gameplay because I got mixed up between characters, and the save screen looks too similar to the load screen. Sigh.

MixAmp helped me spot a bandit in a cave though! I cleared one room and heard someone working on an anvil in an adjoining room, up the stairs. Snuck in and wrecked that fool.

Quote:
If I ever decide to game on PC.. will the mixamp help when gaming on PC as well? Or it's better to buy a good dedicated soundcard?

It helps. I dunno about "better", but on TOSLink in Skyrim, it sounds better. Haven't tried BF3 or any console gaming yet though.

Quote:
Also, can I double-amp with another amp (for volume into the amp, not out) without causing a large loss in the sound quality?

Just to be clear, are you intending your double-amping setup to be like this:
MixAmp > 2nd amp
or
2nd amp > MixAmp?

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #3,011 of 48,583
Just in case people don't know, you want the Mixamp to be the FIRST amp in the chain, in order for it to receive the proper Dolby Digital or PLII signal, in which the next amp can uhh, amp. If you use another amp first, you will surely lose the signal needed for proper Dolby Headphone.

Eric, you enjoying the Mixamp?

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #3,012 of 48,583
You always go Mixamp > 2nd amp, otherwise you're essentially putting your amp before your DAC. Unless you're using the analog inputs on the mixamp, which we've already determined would not be a good idea. Besides, running an amp into the analog inputs on the mixamp would surely fry something, and you wouldn't even get the benefit of a separate amp to the headphones.

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #3,013 of 48,583

Quote:
If I ever decide to game on PC.. will the mixamp help when gaming on PC as well? Or it's better to buy a good dedicated soundcard?

If you don't want to spend the money for a soundcard that does virtual surround, the mixamp is nice, but switching between one setup and the other was a bit circuitous when I was using the X-Fi + DSS combo for a while.  I stopped bothering because CMSS-headphone is fine for my purposes.  I imagine it'll be easier with an Asus dolby HP card because you don't have to switch modes (a process that can freeze your computer if you do it wrong) to go between a gaming set up and listening set up.

Now I have a nice set up using my Audio GD NFB-5 and X-Fi.  I have the NFB-5 connected over both optical and coaxial (And USB because why not), with optical coming off my X-Fi and coax from my motherboard.  Then I set foobar to output over my motherboard's SPIDF and can switch between a gaming optimized set up and music set up with one button on the NFB-5.  If I need a mic I can plug my PC-360 into the front panel and turn off my NFB-5.

Also, one thing about the Turtle Beach DSS: It introduces a bit of lag into the audio.  I found this out because the X-Fi can play everything to both the analog out and digital at the same time.  I dunno if the mixamp does the same.  I can't help but be curious if anyone has both an X-Fi and a mixamp could compare?  

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #3,014 of 48,583
Does anyone know if the optical out on the wireless mixamp is a straight passthrough, or if it's processed for Dolby Headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back