Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #2,986 of 48,583
So, I tried to explain the Mixamp to my dad, and we ended up getting in a silly fight because I didn't know enough details about it.

So... how exactly does the Mixamp work?

Also, can I double-amp with another amp (for volume into the amp, not out) without causing a large loss in the sound quality?

Finally, is there a big difference between the wired and wireless versions?

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #2,987 of 48,583
Sure, headphones tend to give out better sound quality than the PC360, but in terms of overall versatility, the PC360 is very hard to pass up. Not sure where to get it for $180 anymore (I think they go for $200 nowadays)

http://www.razordogdeals.com/products/sennheiser-pc-360-pc-gaming-headset-pc360

They are authorized, and that's where I got mine.

Yes, open headphones give out better SQ overall. Closed headphone's main strength is bass, but something like the DT990 is open AND bassy. If you want a solid headphone for gaming that the Mixamp can drive decently, look into the DT990 pros. They can go for around $170. They would be a good compliment to the PC360, if you want something with solid bass. The PC360 is well balanced, but not very fun in terms of enjoying explosions and stuff.

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #2,988 of 48,583
So, I tried to explain the Mixamp to my dad, and we ended up getting in a silly fight because I didn't know enough details about it.

Also, can I double-amp with another amp (for volume) without causing a large loss in the sound quality?

It's a gaming amp that adds Dolby Headphone virtual surround to headphones. It also has game and voice mixing, so you can alter the volume level of game audio and voice audio. I think every console gamer should own one, especially if you use a mic. Check the first post for more details.

Double amping is the only way to power some hard to drive cans and keep the benefit of Dolby Headphone for console gamers. The slight hit in fidelity will still be much more beneficial than underamping headphones. Due to the nature of a DSP like Dolby Headphone, it will hide the negative aspects of double amping anyway.

Oh BTW, my DT990/600 double amped via the Mixamp 5.8 and E9 is almost dead silent even when the Mixamp is maxed out. That's a benefit of hard to drive headphones: low noise floor

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #2,989 of 48,583
Jan 5, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #2,990 of 48,583
I mean that in the way that if you start with the PC360, there really won't be anything to upgrade to in terms of a headset. Perfect start/finish? Lol. :D

The MMX300 is the other option, but it's closed and more expensive.

:eek:

People have money to BURN.

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #2,991 of 48,583
So you would suggest getting the DT990s and the PC360? I wish they made headsets as good as they made headphones. It's depressing lol. A mic is vital to me as I have a clan in MW3 and chat communication is essential to winning.

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #2,992 of 48,583
Yeah, that would be a stellar combo for all your needs. The DT990 Pro for immersive and single player gaming, the PC360 for when you're in competitive mode.

I should have fully reviewed the DT990 Pros. I would easily recommend them over the DT770 Pro 80 for the same purposes, unless you needed isolation.

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #2,994 of 48,583
So is it true that the HD555 to 595 mod sounds like the pc360?  I got the Hd555 for my wife and took out the netting and clipped the plastic in the earphone but since I sold my He-4 I don't use anything with my mix amp but her hd555 for gaming.  I feel bad for using her HP.  I'm debating to get the PC360.  Is it better sounding or similar?

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #2,995 of 48,583
As far as figuring out how to say money. Is it true I could buy the Mixamp/A40 combo.. and sell the headphones brand new on Ebay for $200?? Saving me $50. Mixamp alone is $130 I think. So 280-200=80, 130-80 = 50 dollar savings.

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #2,996 of 48,583
So is it true that the HD555 to 595 mod sounds like the pc360?  I got the Hd555 for my wife and took out the netting and clipped the plastic in the earphone but since I sold my He-4 I don't use anything with my mix amp but her hd555 for gaming.  I feel bad for using her HP.  I'm debating to get the PC360.  Is it better sounding or similar?

I honestly don't know myself. I would believe that the HD595 and PC360 would sound somewhat similar, though housing and design would alter the sound in a way to make them not sound completely identical.

Oh yeah, to those interested in the DT990 pro, I'd wait until they are around $170 to get them. Amazon is currently selling them for $250, which is the highest I've ever seen them.

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #2,998 of 48,583
So quick question to see if anyone else has noticed this.

In Battlefield 3 I've had some directional clipping going on. For instance, say a helicopter is hovering at 12 o'clock.  If Iurn around there's a large "gap" or clip in the sound switching from ear to ear.  Doesn't always happen but very annoying when it does.  Trying to figure out if its the game (only one I've noticed this on), my headphones or something else.  I mainly play using my Pro 550's on a Xonar DG, running stereo (may actually have enhanced headphone in game settings right now, need to double check).

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #3,000 of 48,583

Quote:
JUST got my Mixamp. Old version, bought it used. Now to see if it adds anything to Skyrim...

Go through the intro sequence again, just as you're about to be executed until Alduin wrecks the whole place...there will be a brief moment when your head's facing the ground and you can distinctly hear the chaos and carnage happening from behind your head. I think it's a nice, immersive touch.

Quote:
Also, can I double-amp with another amp (for volume into the amp, not out) without causing a large loss in the sound quality?

Here's how the Mixamp and similar devices work, depending on input:

Dolby Digital signal over S/PDIF -> decode digital audio -> apply Dolby Headphone if turned on -> output processed analog two-channel signal.
Dolby Pro Logic II-processed two-channel analog signal -> decode matrixed PLII information -> apply DH if turned on -> output processed analog signal.

In a nutshell, it's both a DAC and a DSP for providing virtual 5.1 out of headphones.

As for double-amping, let me put it this way: every analog audio output is amplified to some extent, or else it wouldn't work. Try not to worry about it too much-just make sure each device in the chain has its volume set to a level that doesn't introduce clipping or other artifacts.

Finally, as for wired and wireless versions...I can't answer that. I don't own or have tried any of the Mixamp variants; I use a discontinued JVC/Victor SU-DH1 for that purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back