Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #256 of 48,562
Yeah, if BF3 doesn't include Jets I'm nearly positive I won't be purchasing it. Due to the console ports, however, that's a strong possibility. How are you supposed to fly a jet with a controller... They better bring back custom pitch and yaw sensitivities too. I'm so pissed at flying in BC2 where you can't even roll because the Frostbite engine utilized some auto balance mechanism on choppers, which imo is dumb. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #257 of 48,562
Well I seem to have made a blunder. I've apparently been using my motherboard's onboard sound the entire time, which doesn't have an option for Dolby Headphone but rather 'DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC', which gives a very crude effect compared to the Dolby Headphone plugin I occasionally use in foobar. While I do not like Dolby Headphone for music, I cannot comment regarding its use for PC gaming. I feel very silly now. My Xonar DX is currently unusable due to terrible C-Media drivers being terrible.

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #258 of 48,562
I just picked up the KCS75 and tried gaming with it on my PS3. The sound seems really low right now I guess it's because I don't have an amp to drive these right now. Voice chat is also hard to hear with these phones. It does sound like it has a bigger soundstage than my Turtle Beach P21 though. I got the KCS75 for cheap so I just wanted to try it. I wasn't expecting anything great and it was so cheap that I had to give it a try. It also was very uncomfortable for me. After 15-30mins my ears wore a bit sore.
Anyways I'm going to go pick up the SRH750DJ at Future Shop and try them out. I'm also going to order the Astro mixamp to see if it helps with the volume on the KSC75

edit: Can anyone recommend me a clip on mic that is not too sensitive. Since I'm going to be using open headphones I don't want the mic to pick up those sounds too.

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #259 of 48,562

Quote:
edit: Can anyone recommend me a clip on mic that is not too sensitive. Since I'm going to be using open headphones I don't want the mic to pick up those sounds too.

Try this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-clip-on-microphone-7080

US $2.31, and is pretty good (MLE also bought it)

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #260 of 48,562
Is there a usb mic you can recommend? I think that one you need to have a mixamp for it don't you? I'm just not sure when I'm getting my mixamp so unless you can connect it somehow without the mixamp I'm going to need a usb mic.

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #261 of 48,562
Do you know the difference between the PC 360 and the PC 350? I didn't realize that there were actually good headphones with microphones that weren't like 500 dollar broadcasting headphones. 

Also, what are everyone's opinions on closed vs open for gaming (especially at LANs)? (Sorry if this has been asked in the thread already, long read

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #262 of 48,562
Hey I need some help making up my mind.  I'm trying to decide between the Tritton AX720 that come with the mix amp, or picking up a pair of Creative Aurvana Live and the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Amigo II for a usb dac.  I would be using these for pc gaming movies and music.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #263 of 48,562
If you can wait until March, the Turtle Beach PX5 will be the new king-of-the-hill in gaming headsets and will give owners an unfair advantage in the sound whoring dept.

Quote:
Hey I need some help making up my mind.  I'm trying to decide between the Tritton AX720 that come with the mix amp, or picking up a pair of Creative Aurvana Live and the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Amigo II for a usb dac.  I would be using these for pc gaming movies and music.

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #264 of 48,562

Quote:
Well I seem to have made a blunder. I've apparently been using my motherboard's onboard sound the entire time, which doesn't have an option for Dolby Headphone but rather 'DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC', which gives a very crude effect compared to the Dolby Headphone plugin I occasionally use in foobar. While I do not like Dolby Headphone for music, I cannot comment regarding its use for PC gaming. I feel very silly now. My Xonar DX is currently unusable due to terrible C-Media drivers being terrible.

Have you tried the "Unified Drivers" for the Xonar cards?  The guy rolls all the Xonar drivers into one file, incorporating fixes into them.  They've worked quite well on my Xonar DX with Win7 x64 for my PC 360 headset.  http://brainbit.wordpress.com/

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #265 of 48,562
I have had DX for years and had no problems with the Asus drivers on Win 7 64bit not to say there are not lots of problems reported on the ASUS forum.

Make sure you do a driver sweep in between driver changes (http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=driversweeper) to ensure theres no legacy imperial entanglements. With my new STX I'm using the unified driver with no problems, I think its the best way to go if you have a Xonar.

The unified installer gives the othion of both the original control panel and the C-media version each have thier pros and cons. I reccomend trying them both. 

Quote:

Quote:

Have you tried the "Unified Drivers" for the Xonar cards?  The guy rolls all the Xonar drivers into one file, incorporating fixes into them.  They've worked quite well on my Xonar DX with Win7 x64 for my PC 360 headset.  http://brainbit.wordpress.com/

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #266 of 48,562

Quote:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone recommend DH for music. This thread is about DH's application and effectiveness in gaming and I envisioned a scenario like this when you came into this thread arguing against its merits. Kudos for owning up to it though, maybe you'll refrain from posting on something you have little knowledge of next time.

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #267 of 48,562
Why the hell would ANYONE use DH for music? That is, unless the track itself used DD 5.1.

It's the same as using DH on a basic stereo signal. It butchers the original source sound. It does work well with Pro Logic II, but definitely inferior to a real DD 5.1 signal.

Dolby Headphone, IMHO should only be used for gaming, and to a much lesser extent, with movies.

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #268 of 48,562
@Cscape: The AZ720 is an all in one solution and from the reviews I remember the sound quality from the head set rated as average and far from the best also it is expensive.

Mad Lust Rates the Creative Aurvana Live so I would go for that coupled with the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II for a usb dac with optical out feeding a Earforce DSS.

It may not be wireless but will allow you to have IMO a better headphone and Dolby headphone 7.1 processing from the Earforce DSS all modular so you can upgrade in the future.  I assume you are on a laptop otherwise for the best wired solution get a Xonar DS or DX to power your Aurvana Lives.

@igotnojob The PX5 looks interesting but using on a PC it would have to be seriously good to outshine the top wired setups in the same or even cheaper price range saying that  I'd love to try one on a PC with it being fed from optical out from a Dolby digital live enable sound card.

Quote:
If you can wait until March, the Turtle Beach PX5 will be the new king-of-the-hill in gaming headsets and will give owners an unfair advantage in the sound whoring dept.

Quote:

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #270 of 48,562

I get the impression some people like to use DH to negate the inside of head feeling of some headphones. I agree it should just be for gaming but different strokes for different folks I guess.  

Quote:
Why the hell would ANYONE use DH for music? That is, unless the track itself used DD 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back