Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 25, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #226 of 48,562
And 558 mod to 598 ? it soud simillar ?

Quote:
I wish people would stop assuming this without checking reviews first. The HD-555/595 sound nothing like the 598.
There are HUGE differences and i've heard them with my own ears. I've owned the modded 555 for nearly five years.

Just to remind people again..
598 is much brighter than the 555 or 595. It is not laid back or does it have the rolled off highs of the 555 or 595.
It also has a huge improvement of the soundstage. Soundstage of the 555 is rather bad for an open headphone.
The 598 also seems to have very slightly forward mids. Not like say the DJ100, ATH-AD2000 or K601.

I hate to say it but the HD-598 is actually a far better headphone than my old K601. Imaging on the K601 might be a bit better, but it seemed less detailed.
This is actually pretty impressive. It even sounds fine without an amp.

Quote:
The 558 and 598 are just visual refreshes of the 555 and 595 I dont think there is any sonic differences.

Quote:
So moded 558 is same as 598 ?   anyone know how to this sound in FPS games ?
as in this review said it is
http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/3/

Quoting from this review
Quote:
So how does it sound? Removing the black tape material gives the HD558 the boost in midrange that it didn’t have before. It’s almost similar to the HD598, except that the HD558 now has just a tad more midrange than the HD598. Just a tad more, and it’s probably better in my opinion. The two headphones now sound like they are the same model but offered in different color schemes!

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #227 of 48,562
I always thought competitive gaming is about communicating with your team, calling out opponents, coordinating tactics and strategies. So having a mic for competitive gaming should be a given.

I'm thinking of getting the DT990. Would that be good for playing single player campaign? How about for action pack movies?

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #228 of 48,562
Quote:
I always thought competitive gaming is about communicating with your team, calling out opponents, coordinating tactics and strategies. So having a mic for competitive gaming should be a given.

You're right... but minus real-life friends... all you ever hear is 12 year old kids with their Eminem music as if wearing a mic is like driving a convertible to the club.

It ain't a perfect world online.

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #230 of 48,562

Quote:
Quote:

You're right... but minus real-life friends... all you ever hear is 12 year old kids with their Eminem music as if wearing a mic is like driving a convertible to the club.

Everyone should try gaming on the PC. Join a decent clan on with regularly admined servers that com using teamspeak or ventrillo not open too the public. Its a whole other level and is a must for those dont want to hear anoying kids all the time. You will also have some of the best, tactical hard fought matches you've ever played and yes a mic is a must.

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #231 of 48,562

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler 

wish people would stop assuming this without checking reviews first. The HD-555/595 sound nothing like the 598.

Sorry bud my bad..  I'll be sure to pass correct info next time.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #232 of 48,562

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Everyone should try gaming on the PC. Join a decent clan on with regularly admined servers that com using teamspeak or ventrillo not open too the public. Its a whole other level and is a must for those dont want to hear anoying kids all the time. You will also have some of the best, tactical hard fought matches you've ever played and yes a mic is a must.

Competitive gaming is also on consoles. If you're not playing with a clan against other clan in scrims than its casual. Black Ops have private matches so that's where all the competitive gamers go to setup matches using Game Battles.

And when Killzone 3 comes out where there is a clan system this is where all the competitive gamers will go to. A real clan rank systems where you challenge other clans and climb to the top leader boards.

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #233 of 48,562
Competitive gaming doesn't have to mean that.

When I say competitive gaming, it's when you're playing against other human players, and are trying to be on top. Games like CoD4, MW2, Bad Company 2. These games can be casual, but if you're more serious about winning and building your stats, I take that as competitive. Clan matches and Private Matches are even more competitive, that is true, but they too can also be casual.

Casual or non-competitive is when I'm playing a single player campaign or story mode, or playing something co-op where I'm not directly trying to kill other players. Casual can also be when playing something other human players, but you're not worried about trying to be on top, and are in it mostly just to mess about with your friends.

Trust me, when I'm in my competitive state of mind, I won't do much voice chatting, and get sucked right into the game, focusing entirely on everything happening IN the game, and not what people are saying.

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #235 of 48,562
[size=medium]As I'm new here to Head-Fi I can appreciate and respect the desire to communicate on a mature level.  It seems most of what I have read on here is that.  So for you guys on this thread that are into gaming whether it be Console or PC, I would love for you to check out 2old2play.com it is for the older gamer, 25 and over only, and has something for everyones taste in games.  This Friday they are hosting a community play date on Xbox playing Halo Reach.  Feel free to send me a friend request if you would like to play, my tag is styles ii . Please let me know you're from Head-Fi when you send it.  There are quite a few players on that site that have some nice headphone/amp set ups as well.[/size]

Quote:
Quote:

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #236 of 48,562
Fair enough but the way I see it, if you aren't playing with a clan or in ranked games then it's casual. Playing for high scores is still fun and IMO casual. Playing competitively means playing with other competitively mind players. Beating on random casuals are fun but that will never bring out your true skills. When you play competitively it's a whole different level and feeling. Communications is key in competitive games and the team with better communications and tactics will most likely be on top.

Alright back on topic. I'm getting headphones for non-competitive play. Like for campaigns and for movies. What would be the best headphone for that. I want to get immerse into the game/movie. Looks like the DT990 does it all but the only problem is that I really don't want to put out more money for an amp. I'm already getting the Mixamp and another headphone amp is just too expensive for me.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #237 of 48,562

Quote:
Quote:
The DT990 have bass, granted... but is soooooooooooooooooooo beautiful....

Oh yeah. My fave bass out of all the headphones I have ever owned. Hits hard and quick. So unobtrusive. <3

Quote:
The DT990 Premium 250ohm is available for $180 shipped on Amazon and B&H...is this the normal price on those sites or is this a good deal right now?

That's a good deal if I ever saw one. Just be wary of treble... got to constantly remind people, that it has a very energetic treble to say the least. For gaming, I doubt the treble would ever be an issue though.

The DT 990 Premium 250ohm @ Amazon went up from $180 to $299!
blink.gif
   B&H still has it for $180 though.

Just bought the Sennheiser PC 360 for $189. Looking forward to that arrival. Think I'm going to get the 990 at B&H as well...maybe.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #238 of 48,562
Quote:
Fair enough but way I see it, if you aren't playing for with a clan or for rank than it's casual. Playing for high scores is still fun and for casuals. Playing competitively means playing with other competitively mind players. Beating on random casuals are fun but that will never bring out your true skills. When you play competitively it's a whole different level and feeling. Communications is key in competitive games and the team with better communications and tactics will mostly be on top. Alright back on topic. I'm getting headphones for non-competitive play. Like for campaigns and for movies. What would be the best headphone for that. I want to get immerse into the game/movie. Looks like the DT990 does it all but the only problem is that I really don't want to put out more money for an amp. I'm already getting the Mixamp and another headphone amp is just too expensive for me.

Well in the case of Black Ops, don't forget there's still Free-For-All, and especially high stakes wager matches that are free-for-all based. I realize that there are always going to be different opinions on what qualifies as competitive; but as stated in the OP this is merely a guide, and an opinionated one at that.

In any case go for the 32 Ohm DT 990 and you will not need an additional headphone amp other than the Mixamp.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #239 of 48,562
I dunno Riku. I had the 32ohm DT880, and it needs almost as much as volume as the 600ohm with the Mixamp. It's not very sensitive. Yes, the 32ohm would be fine without voice chat, but I'm not entirely sure about it if voice chat is enabled. Anyone feel free to let us know if the 32ohm Beyers need more than the Mixamp can provide when adding voice chat.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #240 of 48,562
There's is a review on Amazon of the 250ohm version and that guy also says that the 32ohm version is the harder to drive than the 250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back