Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 24, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #196 of 48,562

Quote:
Lol, yeah. Like we're going to become enlightened by his blatant dislike for Dolby Headphone. We've pretty much have been saying how much we LOVE DH for gaming, and yet it's like he's trying to school us on how bad he thinks it is. What. If he doesn't like it fine, but DAMN.... it's like...

I do not dislike Dolby Headphone unconditionally. I do not like DH on top of something already processed for headphone output. I say blind because Dolby Headphone does not know the locations of each sound in the game environment I do like it for 5.1->headphone output, but I like the in-game headphone output better.

I did not realize the recommendations were for consoles. Many console games output in 5.1 but do not offer specific headphone options. In this scenario DH works well because it downmixes 5.1 into stereo while preserving directional cues and a sense of space from the surrounding room.

I will re-evaluate 5.1->DH vs in-game headphone options and post about my experiences hunting bloodsuckers, as well as in Bad Company 2 and other games. If DH works better with some headphones than others, it's probably because the more synergistic headphone has more linear frequency response in the range which humans use for directional cues. This will take quite some time since I intend to try each mode out for a while and there will be a lot of combinations to go through.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #197 of 48,562
Riku, yeah, I believe it's because of the price/performance. It's simply more cost effective to just get a headphone and attach a mic to it. In my case, I really wanted a simple solution that was good to go without anything extra. The PC360 was it for me. I'd like to try the MMX300 one day, as I have no doubt it will be quite a beast when it comes to closed headphone gaming, going off what I have heard with my DT770s.

I based that small list off personal preference. The AD700 is slightly better in competitive performance, but the HD598 has a better overall sound signature. In my case, I'd pick the HD598 over the AD700 despite the AD700 being a teeny bit better when it comes down to pure accuracy of positional cues. That, and I HATE the Audio Technica wing design of the headband...if you can call it that. The Senns are MUCH more comfortable for me.

And as for doing it in the format ljokerl has done...well I'm too lazy for that. XD

This is a pretty barebones 'guide', and not something that will ever come close to ljokerl's excellent comparison threads. Also, my 'hunt' is more or less over, now that I have FINALLY settled on two very fantastic headphones for my needs.

I'll consider numbering them sooner than later.

Quote:
Quote:
NewVegasBaby: No problem. Just giving my opinions on stuff I've actually used. I'm not the final word on what's good or not, but I do have plenty of experience with these headphones, and definitely have preferences on what works better for gaming. I'm very picky, which is why I have gone through so many in just over a year's time. I've finally settled on the PC360, but my clear faves (out of the MANY) are as I mentioned before:

In Order

Competitive

K701
HD598
PC360
AD700
DT990
D7000
Creative Aurvana Live
KSC75

Fun:

D7000
DT990
Creative Aurvana Live
DT770/600 (bass heavy version with bass ports)
DT770 Pro 80
KSC75

Why is the 598 above AD700 when its score loses by .5 point?

Btw I think you should organize the first post like ljokerl's threads. (Like this one: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-65-portable-headphones-reviewed-tdk-wr700-akg-k430-added-01-08)
Give them numbers and list them above so people can find their headphones easily.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #198 of 48,562

Quote:
Riku, yeah, I believe it's because of the price/performance. It's simply more cost effective to just get a headphone and attach a mic to it. In my case, I really wanted a simple solution that was good to go without anything extra. The PC360 was it for me. I'd like to try the MMX300 one day, as I have no doubt it will be quite a beast when it comes to closed headphone gaming, going off what I have heard with my DT770s.

I based that small list off personal preference. The AD700 is slightly better in competitive performance, but the HD598 has a better overall sound signature. In my case, I'd pick the HD598 over the AD700 despite the AD700 being a teeny bit better when it comes down to pure accuracy of positional cues. That, and I HATE the Audio Technica wing design of the headband...if you can call it that. The Senns are MUCH more comfortable for me.

And as for doing it in the format ljokerl has done...well I'm too lazy for that. XD

This is a pretty barebones 'guide', and not something that will ever come close to ljokerl's excellent comparison threads. Also, my 'hunt' is more or less over, now that I have FINALLY settled on two very fantastic headphones for my needs.

>_> you lazy guy :p

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #199 of 48,562
I edited it a little. I will number them sometime soon. XD

The 'guide' took me hours, and I'm still not happy with it. So I will undoubtedly work on it little by little, but I don't want people to think this is meant to be a professional guide, more as a personal guideline based off my own experiences, as I get a lot of people pm-ing me about this sort of thing.

I'm not going to be buying/testing much more than what I have already, as I'm pretty much happy with what I have now.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #200 of 48,562

Quote:
I edited it a little. I will number them sometime soon. XD

The 'guide' took me hours, and I'm still not happy with it. So I will undoubtedly work on it little by little, but I don't want people to think this is meant to be a professional guide, more as a personal guideline based off my own experiences, as I get a lot of people pm-ing me about this sort of thing.

I'm not going to be buying/testing much more than what I have already, as I'm pretty much happy with what I have now.

How'd you get all the money to buy the headphones? :p

I need to get a part time job here, but school's just too taxing.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #201 of 48,562
Just working, buying, trading, selling, buying again, rinse, repeat. I haven't owned more than 3 worthwhile headphones at once.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #202 of 48,562
Don't make decision based in one man opinion. I have used the m50 for gaming and indeed they are Great. I didn't feel any major inferiority to other headphones I had.
I've tried the likes of hd595, hd600, dt990, m50, Sony SA5000, turtle beach x4 and hpx-1, sharkoons, roccat kave...
I would say for the price you paid the m50 does well just like you said. Plus if you like it don't change sideways. You better wait and buy a better choice, like dt990 which has stronger bass than m50 and stronger treble also which makes it really FUN and still lets you pick other noises well as the treble is very crisp.
I loved playing gears of wars with it. IT also has a very nice soundstage... well now that I am saying they are also really comfortable.

Quote:

Quote:
Have you even tried the Creative Aurvana Live/Denon D1001? They are VERY much comparable to the M50. The 10% difference in sound is that the CAL is slightly laid back in treble compared to the M50. Bass is nearly identical, and mids are richer in the CAL. To say the M50 is better all around, well, that's nonsense. They are very similar, and the CAL has more depth and width. I do prefer the brighter treble of the M50, but that's personal preference. For gaming, it's a no brainer. The CAL is better in imaging and soundstage.

I think im goin to return my m50s then
Are the cal easy to dirve as well?

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #203 of 48,562

I somewhat agree. While I don't particularly care for the M50s for gaming, the CAL isn't a huge upgrade, but more of a slight sidegrade that just happens to be better for gaming. I second going for the DT990s. YES. They are awesome. But they are also more than twice the price.
Quote:
Don't make decision based in one man opinion. I have used the m50 for gaming and indeed they are Great. I didn't feel any major inferiority to other headphones I had.
I've tried the likes of hd595, hd600, dt990, m50, Sony SA5000, turtle beach x4 and hpx-1, sharkoons, roccat kave...
I would say for the price you paid the m50 does well just like you said. Plus if you like it don't change sideways. You better wait and buy a better choice, like dt990 which has stronger bass than m50 and stronger treble also which makes it really FUN and still lets you pick other noises well as the treble is very crisp.
I loved playing gears of wars with it. IT also has a very nice soundstage... well now that I am saying they are also really comfortable.

Quote:

Quote:
Have you even tried the Creative Aurvana Live/Denon D1001? They are VERY much comparable to the M50. The 10% difference in sound is that the CAL is slightly laid back in treble compared to the M50. Bass is nearly identical, and mids are richer in the CAL. To say the M50 is better all around, well, that's nonsense. They are very similar, and the CAL has more depth and width. I do prefer the brighter treble of the M50, but that's personal preference. For gaming, it's a no brainer. The CAL is better in imaging and soundstage.

I think im goin to return my m50s then
Are the cal easy to dirve as well?

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #204 of 48,562

Quote:

They are slighty cramped though.
Im going to wait for my asus dx2 which has 7.1 virtualization and more volume than my shouddy onboard .
The bass is a little overwelming sometimes but they are so intense
I will wait and see.
PS: these things sound MUCHH better than they did last night , im listening to the four seasons , just amazing

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #205 of 48,562
Hmm if the bass is too intense, perhaps the CAL won't be right for you, as they are about equal in bass intensity.

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #207 of 48,562
if the bass on the m50 is too much for you, then don't go the dt990 way, lol, well you may end up liking other aspects of it though, one never knows. You have to try as many headphones as possible to find the best for you... money goes in the process
Quote:

Quote:
Hmm if the bass is too intense, perhaps the CAL won't be right for you, as they are about equal in bass intensity.

it´s no the intensity per say , it just overwhelmes everything else and it´s way too loud , but i guess i can EQ these.

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #208 of 48,562
I don't think he'd like the treble, as he would like it tamer than the M50 which the DT990 definitely does NOT, lol.

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #209 of 48,562
The DT990 have bass, granted... but is soooooooooooooooooooo beautiful....

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #210 of 48,562
The DT990 Premium 250ohm is available for $180 shipped on Amazon and B&H...is this the normal price on those sites or is this a good deal right now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back