Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 24, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #181 of 48,562

Quote:
DT990
D7000

wayyy more expensive than the m50s here

Quote:
Creative Aurvana Live

the m50s are better all around headphones that work great for gaming(offline) as well.
Even though those are quite nice and im having some problems with my m50s ( they are a little to much prone to static)
if i can get a refund on my m50s i will certainly get those

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #182 of 48,562
The best test I can think of is with the bloodsucker. I'm primarily interested in accuracy of pinpointing the location of a sound, which I suspect to be mostly similar from headphone to headphone. DH is just an all-in-one surround downmix+crossfeed+reverb; I think you're giving it too much credit.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #183 of 48,562
Have you even tried the Creative Aurvana Live/Denon D1001? They are VERY much comparable to the M50. The 10% difference in sound is that the CAL is slightly laid back in treble compared to the M50. Bass is nearly identical, and mids are richer in the CAL. To say the M50 is better all around, well, that's nonsense. They are very similar, and the CAL has more depth and width. I do prefer the brighter treble of the M50, but that's personal preference. For gaming, it's a no brainer. The CAL is better in imaging and soundstage.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #184 of 48,562

Quote:
The best test I can think of is with the bloodsucker. I'm primarily interested in accuracy of pinpointing the location of a sound, which I suspect to be mostly similar from headphone to headphone. DH is just an all-in-one surround downmix+crossfeed+reverb; I think you're giving it too much credit.

And I think you're not giving it enough credit.

SEE WHAT I DID THERE?
rolleyes.gif

I created this thread for those interested in headphones and how they work particularly with Dolby Headphone (see the topic title?). I didn't make it to discuss whether it's better or worse than your preference of regular stereo over DH.

In the end, we choose what we want. You wanna play in normal stereo, fine. But to dismiss DH as some bland downmix+crossfeed+reverb just because YOU don't like it, well excuse my french, but you can GTFO and go make a stereo only headphone thread, k?

There is a market for Dolby Headphone users out there, which is why there's various products for consoles that utilize it:

DSS
Mixamp
AX720
X41

not to mention other proprietary headsets with DH built onto the headset itself.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #185 of 48,562

Quote:
Have you even tried the Creative Aurvana Live/Denon D1001? They are VERY much comparable to the M50. The 10% difference in sound is that the CAL is slightly laid back in treble compared to the M50. Bass is nearly identical, and mids are richer in the CAL. To say the M50 is better all around, well, that's nonsense. They are very similar, and the CAL has more depth and width. I do prefer the brighter treble of the M50, but that's personal preference. For gaming, it's a no brainer. The CAL is better in imaging and soundstage.

I think im goin to return my m50s then
Are the cal easy to dirve as well?

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #186 of 48,562

Quote:

Quote:

I think im goin to return my m50s then
Are the cal easy to dirve as well?

Yes, very easy.

Like I said, they are very comparable to one another. The M50 is a little more aggressive, and isolates from the outside better. They are better for music to MY ears, but that's because I like my treble on the sharp side. Lots of head-fiers would actually like the CAL/Denon D1001 more because the treble isn't as sharp.

The M50 is built like a tank, the CAL/Denon D1001 is more fragile.

I honestly don't think one is better than the other overall. They both have their pros and cons. Again, M50 is slightly better for music, CAL is definitely better for gaming. However, the CAL/Denon works almost as well for music, while the M50 to me doesn't really work for gaming.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #187 of 48,562

Quote:
Like I said, they are very comparable to one another. The M50 is a little more aggressive, and isolates from the outside better. They are better for music to MY ears, but that's because I like my treble on the sharp side. Lots of head-fiers would actually like the CAL/Denon D1001 more because the treble isn't as sharp.

yeah i prefer a more laid back treble after having listened to them for a while.
And im having problems with the m50s ( mine are defective  and have insane amounts of static even plugged to clean sources)
Thanks for the tip
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #188 of 48,562
Except that's exactly what it is. It's math not magic. I will be testing DH versus stereo headphone output more, but I suspect it won't do much for most stereo signals, especially if said signal has already been processed for headphone output which PC games already do.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #189 of 48,562
NewVegasBaby: No problem. Just giving my opinions on stuff I've actually used. I'm not the final word on what's good or not, but I do have plenty of experience with these headphones, and definitely have preferences on what works better for gaming. I'm very picky, which is why I have gone through so many in just over a year's time. I've finally settled on the PC360, but my clear faves (out of the MANY) are as I mentioned before:

In Order

Competitive

K701
HD598
PC360
AD700
DT990
D7000
Creative Aurvana Live
KSC75

Fun:

D7000
DT990
Creative Aurvana Live
DT770/600 (bass heavy version with bass ports)
DT770 Pro 80
KSC75

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #190 of 48,562
Quote:
I created this thread for those interested in headphones and how they work particularly with Dolby Headphone (see the topic title?). I didn't make it to discuss whether it's better or worse than your preference of regular stereo over DH.  
In the end, we choose what we want. You wanna play in normal stereo, fine. But to dismiss DH as some bland downmix+crossfeed+reverb just because YOU don't like it, well excuse my french, but you can GTFO and go make a stereo only headphone thread, k?

I hate when everyone in a thread agrees on something, and one person waltzes in saying it's all wrong, as if they have some sort of credibility and know better than hundreds of other experienced people.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #191 of 48,562

Quote:
Quote:

I hate when everyone in a thread agrees on something, and one person waltzes in saying it's all wrong, as if they have some sort of credibility and know better than hundreds of other experienced people.

Lol, yeah. Like we're going to become enlightened by his blatant dislike for Dolby Headphone. We've pretty much have been saying how much we LOVE DH for gaming, and yet it's like he's trying to school us on how bad he thinks it is. What. If he doesn't like it fine, but DAMN.... it's like...

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #192 of 48,562

Quote:
Quote:

I hate when people try to debunk arguments with appeals to authority.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #193 of 48,562
Arguments? That's just it, we're not the ones trying to argue here. If you don't like Dolby Headphone, more power to you. But you're coming onto a thread with people who DO like it, and are recommending it to others who want to try something other than normal stereo for a change.

Like I said, you can go make a stereo vs Dolby Headphone thread and argue to your heart's content. This however, is not the thread for such an argument. You said what you wanted to say, now go play in your beloved stereo and leave us alone, KTHXBIE.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #194 of 48,562
Quote:
Cataphract said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hate when people try to debunk arguments with appeals to authority.

Appeals to what authority? If you don't like DH, then don't stick around. Period.

On topic; with the PC 360 being as good as it is, it makes me now wonder why gaming headsets, by audiophile brands anyway, never really took off around here. It makes me think twice about the Beyer gaming headsets, and how good they are or could be, and why they don't get as much attention as their headphone-only counterparts. Price maybe? I haven't really considered them until now.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #195 of 48,562

Quote:
NewVegasBaby: No problem. Just giving my opinions on stuff I've actually used. I'm not the final word on what's good or not, but I do have plenty of experience with these headphones, and definitely have preferences on what works better for gaming. I'm very picky, which is why I have gone through so many in just over a year's time. I've finally settled on the PC360, but my clear faves (out of the MANY) are as I mentioned before:

In Order

Competitive

K701
HD598
PC360
AD700
DT990
D7000
Creative Aurvana Live
KSC75

Fun:

D7000
DT990
Creative Aurvana Live
DT770/600 (bass heavy version with bass ports)
DT770 Pro 80
KSC75

Why is the 598 above AD700 when its score loses by .5 point?

Btw I think you should organize the first post like ljokerl's threads. (Like this one: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-65-portable-headphones-reviewed-tdk-wr700-akg-k430-added-01-08)
Give them numbers and list them above so people can find their headphones easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back