Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 26, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #241 of 48,562

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
The DT990 have bass, granted... but is soooooooooooooooooooo beautiful....

Oh yeah. My fave bass out of all the headphones I have ever owned. Hits hard and quick. So unobtrusive. <3

Quote:
The DT990 Premium 250ohm is available for $180 shipped on Amazon and B&H...is this the normal price on those sites or is this a good deal right now?

That's a good deal if I ever saw one. Just be wary of treble... got to constantly remind people, that it has a very energetic treble to say the least. For gaming, I doubt the treble would ever be an issue though.

The DT 990 Premium 250ohm @ Amazon went up from $180 to $299!
blink.gif
   B&H still has it for $180 though.

Just bought the Sennheiser PC 360 for $189. Looking forward to that arrival. Think I'm going to get the 990 at B&H as well...maybe.

Yeah I noticed that too. I guess I was too late. I guess I wait for another sale...I'm not in no hurry. I just got the KSC75 so I will try that until I find a deal on some of higher end headphones.
I was particularly looking at the model because it was the only model to ship to Canada. All the other models the did ship to Canada. Also because it was on sale.

Say that I got the DT990 600ohm version and wanted to use the mixamp with voice chat. Is the FiiO E9 all I need or do I need the E5 or E7 too?
If anyone know where I can get E9 in Canada that would be really helpful.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #242 of 48,562
Quote:
Mad Lust Envy said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dunno Riku. I had the 32ohm DT880, and it needs almost as much as volume as the 600ohm with the Mixamp. It's not very sensitive. Yes, the 32ohm would be fine without voice chat, but I'm not entirely sure about it if voice chat is enabled. Anyone feel free to let us know if the 32ohm Beyers need more than the Mixamp can provide when adding voice chat.

Uh, that's not my experience. With the chat volume at 50%, the DT 880/32 is pretty darn loud with the game volume at 2 o'clock if I remember correctly. For certain, I can't play with game volume maxed and chat still at 50%... Just how loud are you listening when gaming?
confused_face%281%29.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #243 of 48,562
All you need is the E9 with the Mixamp. That's it. With voice chat, the E9 provides more than enough power to the 600ohm Beyers, and then some.

Riku, My voice chat knob needs to be at around 2 o clock, because otherwise, game audio is louder than I'd like with the voice chat, making it hard for me to hear what people are saying. With the voice knob leaning so far towards voice, there is very little in the way of game audio volume. Which is why I need an amp with the 600ohm Beyers, and K70x.

With the PC360, I do find voice volume to be fine at 50% on the voice/game knob.

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #244 of 48,562
I was looking at the PA2V2 amp. It's only $60 from what I heard. Would that be enough for voice chat? Amazon is selling the E9 for $130 and I would rather save that money and put it towards the headphone if the PA2V2 is enough for the DT990 600ohm

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #245 of 48,562
The PA2V2 is not going to be enough for 600 ohms. My advice is if you're not going to get an amp that can do the job to it's fullest, don't bother wasting money on an amp that still won't get it done either way.

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #246 of 48,562
My Beyer MMX 300's are 32 ohm and on the Astro I run the master volume at about the 10 to 11 o'clock range and the game/voice knob at 50/50 and sometimes i turn it a little toward 1 o'clock depending on the game type and game.  I play mostly Halo.  Another friend runs the Astro mixamp to the Schiit Asgard amp to HD650's and a custom mic set up.  I dont think he can really run the HD650's off just the mixamp though I have never asked him if he has tried.  I think anything 32 ohm will run great off just the Astro mixamp.

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #247 of 48,562
I agree with MLE's distinction between casual and competitive play. Of course, this is merely a matter of opinion. I just believe casual play would be single player or a match against bots. Competitive would be against other humans. Although most online gamers are casual, you're still going to run into good players in pugs. If you care at all about your stats, K/D or anything related (cough BF2,) you'll most likely play with the intention of winning. If you intend to come in first every round, you're playing competitively. After all, when one is competitive they strive for first. Back on BF2, though, I don't know how many of you are BF2 Vets, but I still argue that game as being the most incredible large scale multiplayer FPS for the PC. I'm always on =EAUK= 24/7 Wake Island 2007 server. Wake Island is my crack. Back when J10s were mad OP (that's a jet) I would go roughly 60-2 in one round, racking up roughly 150 points. My KD as an aviator used to be 12-point-something. I was such a Jet whore. I would spawn as AT and if someone was going to get the jet before me I would blow it up with my Eryx, haha. I know exactly where to stand to get the jet 100% of the time too, so people would flip out. Thankfully that server doesn't have a wait-in-line rule. Anyways, I considered myself a competitive player, because I did whatever it took to get a jet and dominate the battlefield. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #248 of 48,562
I had a pretty exotic headphone rig I was gaming with and I went back to speaker and separates...for about $3k usd.  All of the mic based units were terrible and a mic is required in all games or you are playing casual.  I built a gaming desk with with Salk Signature Sound CAOB1 speakers, emotiva amps for pc/360/ps3 gaming.  I use a boom mic or blue tooth depending on my mood.  I think I just need to velco a mic to my cheek so my ears arent blocked.  I start to lean forward with a boom mic which makes my neck hurt after a while.

I agree with the fun ratings on higher end headphones, it really sounds awesome to game the better made games with a mid-highend rig.

I dont recommend IEMs much - I have given myself some solid pain from the spikes of noise that crashes/kids/server dumps/vent/etc can cause in your sound chain.

Thanks for this review and how it was written and communicated clearly for different audiences.

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #249 of 48,562
I played in a few BF2 leagues back in the day.. now they were competitive matchs !!
Damn you flyboys
wink_face.gif
  ..spawn queing or using the tank to taxi to the runway... lets hope you get jets back in BF3 and I get some decent AA to shoot you down with !

I was never much of a pilot more of a Tank Whore
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
I agree with MLE's distinction between casual and competitive play. Of course, this is merely a matter of opinion. I just believe casual play would be single player or a match against bots. Competitive would be against other humans. Although most online gamers are casual, you're still going to run into good players in pugs. If you care at all about your stats, K/D or anything related (cough BF2,) you'll most likely play with the intention of winning. If you intend to come in first every round, you're playing competitively. After all, when one is competitive they strive for first. Back on BF2, though, I don't know how many of you are BF2 Vets, but I still argue that game as being the most incredible large scale multiplayer FPS for the PC. I'm always on =EAUK= 24/7 Wake Island 2007 server. Wake Island is my crack. Back when J10s were mad OP (that's a jet) I would go roughly 60-2 in one round, racking up roughly 150 points. My KD as an aviator used to be 12-point-something. I was such a Jet whore. I would spawn as AT and if someone was going to get the jet before me I would blow it up with my Eryx, haha. I know exactly where to stand to get the jet 100% of the time too, so people would flip out. Thankfully that server doesn't have a wait-in-line rule. Anyways, I considered myself a competitive player, because I did whatever it took to get a jet and dominate the battlefield. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #250 of 48,562
I was all about Battlefield 2: Modern Combat on the 360, back in the good old days before CoD4 came out. I was KILLER in that game. Ironically, that game didn't benefit at all from headphones. <_<

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #251 of 48,562
Right now I'm really into online play with BF Bad Company 2 for the PC. I tried it with Xbox360 but there was too much lag in every server I tried. Much, much better with the PC version. Best online gaming experience I've ever had...and I'm an old dude who's been gaming for a long, long time. The sound of BFBC2 is amazing and the way the game awards team/squad game play is very nice as well. Open servers can be a drag sometimes when you get some kiddies in there screwing around but it really shines when you join a clan that has mature players and compete against another clan using a command structure and follow battle plans.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #252 of 48,562
heh... maybe i'm deaf or something... in HQ in BO (ps3 version) i get backstabbed more often I would like with mixamp=k702 :frowning2:

i don't thing the audio settings has anything to do... maybe too much noise? or just plain deaf :p

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #254 of 48,562
CoD has always had horrible sound in my ears, especially the gunfire is a laugh, sounds like bunch of toyguns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back