Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 22, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #48,151 of 48,562
I’m sure someone has already answered this. But I have the ps5 and the Audeze lcd-gx. I currently am using the sound blaster g6. But I’m. It sure I am using the headphones to its fullest potential. I am also not so technically sound so please bear with me.
Not really clear what the question is?

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #48,154 of 48,562
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #48,155 of 48,562
My apologies for my not being clear. I do have a pc that I used to game on that barley use anymore. I use my ps5 more than anything. I’m wondering if I should get a different dac/amp for the GX. Because I don’t think I’m using the headphone to its full potential. And I understand that I may not get that while using it only for ps5. But while I am, is the sound blaster the way to go or should I get something else? I appreciate you guys and your time. Thank you.

Nov 23, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #48,156 of 48,562
My apologies for my not being clear. I do have a pc that I used to game on that barley use anymore. I use my ps5 more than anything. I’m wondering if I should get a different dac/amp for the GX. Because I don’t think I’m using the headphone to its full potential. And I understand that I may not get that while using it only for ps5. But while I am, is the sound blaster the way to go or should I get something else? I appreciate you guys and your time. Thank you.
The Audeze lcd-GX is 20-Ohms, so the G6 has way more headphone amplifier power than needed by the Audeze lcd-GX.
For gaming on the PS5, the G6 would seem like more than enough.
Does the G6 provide any headphone surround sound function for your gaming?
Do you use the mic function?

Nov 23, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #48,157 of 48,562
The Audeze lcd-GX is 20-Ohms, so the G6 has way more headphone amplifier power than needed by the Audeze lcd-GX.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #48,158 of 48,562
I've been gaming with Phillips X2HRs for a few years now, and before that I had some AKG K702 65th Anniversaries. All great stuff, but I no longer play competitive games and am looking for something more "fun", I suppose. I've been playing a lot of space games like Elite Dangerous, and the sound design in that game is great, but the X2HRs aren't as deep as I think I might enjoy. Something really impactful is what I'm looking for. Like chest punch for subwoofers, but on my ears.

Any suggestions? I suppose my budget is around $500, but I can stretch up to $1000 for anything that's a big step up.

I'm driving them with a Schitt Modius/Asgard stack and have to use the high gain switch to get a decent volume level out of them, too, which I thought was odd because my Magni/Modi stack seemed plenty loud.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #48,159 of 48,562
Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #48,160 of 48,562
For competitive multiplayer games I know the open back is the gold standard however for single player story driven games like God Of War or the upcoming The Callisto Protocol, are closed recommender or it’s just personal preference? In December I’ll be juggling those 2 games PLUS my first play through of the Witcher 3 once the next gen patch drops. For a horror game like Callisto open might be a good choice for the wider sound stage?

Nov 27, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #48,161 of 48,562
For competitive multiplayer games I know the open back is the gold standard however for single player story driven games like God Of War or the upcoming The Callisto Protocol, are closed recommender or it’s just personal preference? In December I’ll be juggling those 2 games PLUS my first play through of the Witcher 3 once the next gen patch drops. For a horror game like Callisto open might be a good choice for the wider sound stage?
I use open headphones for as much as possible, unless I need to block noise or keep to others from hearing what is coming out of my headphones.

Nov 30, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #48,162 of 48,562
Impedance dont say much about how easy to drive it is more about the efficiency and how much mass is being moved.
No idea how efficient the gx is. Just try it on everything you can get your hands on. My old lcd 2 did love power. Wasnt picky at all just wanted power lol. Loved the speaker taps on a cheap receiver I found. Not the safest approach if you have kids around that love to turn volume knobs :wink: It sounds a bit mellow but still pleasant underpowered though but there was a big difference there.

Nov 30, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #48,163 of 48,562
Impedance don't say much about how easy to drive it is more about the efficiency and how much mass is being moved.
No idea how efficient the gx is. Just try it on everything you can get your hands on. My old lcd 2 did love power. Wasn't picky at all just wanted power lol. Loved the speaker taps on a cheap receiver I found. Not the safest approach if you have kids around that love to turn volume knobs :wink: It sounds a bit mellow but still pleasant underpowered though but there was a big difference there.
Yep, Ohms (impedance) is not the only factor for the power demand of a headphone.
But I'm guessing headphone makers want to sell headphones to that person who would spend $1000 for an iPhone.
A person willing to spend a lot of cash for headphones running off a battery powered source, so a headphone that does not need a lot of voltage, but maybe more current.
At least that's how my little mind sees things :)

Dec 1, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #48,165 of 48,562
Hey I was looking at purchasing Creative Sound Blaster GC7 just want to hear anyone’s experience. I am reading a lot of mixed reviews

Thanks
I have one. SXFi is fantastic, although I have not used it in a little bit so I cannot speak to any firmware issues that may have cropped up. (I think there may have been some recent issues, don't know if they were resolved.).

It allows for use of SXFi on consoles, which is nice. But it does not allow for any line-out of SXFi to a more powerful amp, which is annoying and remains an issue with all SXFi devices as far as I am aware. (Again haven't looked into the ecosystem in a while someone can correct me if I am wrong.)

Unless you need the additional inputs/microphone outputs, or use a console, the SXFi dongle, which is like $60 or something, has the same SXFi capabilities and honestly I hear no difference between the two, even with high quality cans like the HD800S.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back