Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 8, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #48,183 of 48,578
It's not $349, it's $329. Not sure why the pricing is all over the place. Guess the distribution channels were not updated. $299/$329. $329 gets you all systems, but if you don't have an Xbox, save the $30 and get the PS version.

Sorry we couldn't hit Christmas time. Trust me, we really, REALLY tried.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #48,185 of 48,578
Does the Maxwell PS5 version really have game/chat mix?
We're still ironing kinks for release, but I believe PC toggle will work fine just like the Penrose, but toggling on PS should eliminate some things like having volume output maxed out where it was left last (leaving volume level too low), which isn't intentional. I'll get back to you on this, on here. Have to verify.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #48,186 of 48,578
We're still ironing kinks for release, but I believe that's the main reason the PS version has a PC/PS toggle. PC toggle will work fine just like the Penrose, but toggling on PS should eliminate some things like having volume output maxed out where it was left last, which isn't intentional. I'll get back to you on this, on here. Have to verify.
I am wondering If I should be getting the Xbox version for all the platforms.

Dec 8, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #48,187 of 48,578
I am wondering If I should be getting the Xbox version for all the platforms.
If you have an Xbox, yes, if you don't, no. They both do literally everything the same, EXCEPT Xbox version having the required chip, licensing to work on Xbox platforms, as well as the Dolby Atmos license.

Too add:

Though the Xbox version of Maxwell is functional with PlayStation (by moving the slide switch on the side of the dongle to PC mode), the tuning of the PlayStation version of the Maxwell is going to give you better performance with louder volume and less distortion on the PlayStation (this is what the PS toggle on the dongle is on the PS version)

The respective dongles use different chipsets and different firmware, so just because the Maxwell Xbox dongle currently works with PlayStation, you should not expect this to continue indefinitely. Additionally, there may be some functions that are not supported across platforms. Therefore, we still recommend the PlayStation Maxwell for use with PlayStation and Xbox Maxwell for use with Xbox.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #48,188 of 48,578
Does the Maxwell PS5 version really have game/chat mix?
Radio, I should add, it may not be feasible on Playstation, HOWEVER unlike Penrose, Game/Chat balance will be possible on more than just Xbox because we have to end point connections on PC where one is for your game audio, and we have a second output device which you can set to say.... Discord. Game/Chat adjustment will balance between those two signals.

As Maxwell comes closer to release, we'll know more about PS functionality, but at the moment, I would say no. The PS toggle is for a better experience like more volume output, lower distortion, and better tuning specific to PS.... eccentricities.

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #48,189 of 48,578
If you have an Xbox, yes, if you don't, no. They both do literally everything the same, EXCEPT Xbox version having the required chip, licensing to work on Xbox platforms, as well as the Dolby Atmos license.

Too add:

Though the Xbox version of Maxwell is functional with PlayStation (by moving the slide switch on the side of the dongle to PC mode), the tuning of the PlayStation version of the Maxwell is going to give you better performance with louder volume and less distortion on the PlayStation (this is what the PS toggle on the dongle is on the PS version)

The respective dongles use different chipsets and different firmware, so just because the Maxwell Xbox dongle currently works with PlayStation, you should not expect this to continue indefinitely. Additionally, there may be some functions that are not supported across platforms. Therefore, we still recommend the PlayStation Maxwell for use with PlayStation and Xbox Maxwell for use with Xbox.
Ugh so I purchased the Xbox thinking the sound quality would be equal between XsX and PS5 sounds like that's NOT the case. Will the Xbox version support 44/24bit on PS5? Now Im seriously considering canceling my order. Can I purchase a separate PS5 dongle and if so how much will that cost. I’m reconsidering this purchase in general and my enthusiasm has been deflated by your last post.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #48,190 of 48,578
Ugh so I purchased the Xbox thinking the sound quality would be equal between XsX and PS5 sounds like that's NOT the case. Will the Xbox version support 44/24bit on PS5? Now Im seriously considering canceling my order. Can I purchase a separate PS5 dongle and if so how much will that cost. I’m reconsidering this purchase in general and my enthusiasm has been deflated by your last post.
Well, think about it like this:

Us here know that the PS5 can accept dac/amps, but it has a low volume outpout so you need a pretty beefy amplifier to mitigate the low output.

If you're used to this, then that's what you can expect in PC mode. You'll be pushing the volume harder. I would say that's the bigger difference. It's not going to sound 'worse'. It's just that the PS version is tuned to work for PS where the volume output is higher, meaning the amps aren't pushed as hard, meaning less possible distortion, etc.

If you have an Xbox and PS, I would still suggest the Xbox Maxwell, of course.

If you do not have an Xbox, there's no real reason why you should get that option.

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #48,191 of 48,578
Well, think about it like this:

Us here know that the PS5 can accept dac/amps, but it has a low volume outpout so you need a pretty beefy amplifier to mitigate the low output.

If you're used to this, then that's what you can expect in PC mode. You'll be pushing the volume harder. I would say that's the bigger difference. It's not going to sound 'worse'. It's just that the PS version is tuned to work for PS where the volume output is higher, meaning the amps aren't pushed as hard, meaning less possible distortion, etc.

If you have an Xbox and PS, I would still suggest the Xbox Maxwell, of course.

If you do not have an Xbox, there's no real reason why you should get that option.
Low volume output? I didn't know this I've just ordered the Schiit fulla do you think that will help? Should I get the hel instead?.

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #48,192 of 48,578
Low volume output? I didn't know this I've just ordered the Schiit fulla do you think that will help? Should I get the hel instead?.
Well it depends on the implementation, I don't remember the Fulla having a volume issue with PS5. But it's also depending on how hard a headphoine is to drive too. I think the Hel would absolutely be a safer bet.

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #48,193 of 48,578
Well it depends on the implementation, I don't remember the Fulla having a volume issue with PS5. But it's also depending on how hard a headphoine is to drive too. I think the Hel would absolutely be a safer bet.
I have a collection of wired headsets I've been unable to use on my xbox. I used them with the Last generation but with the series X, it was a bust no dacs allowed. I finally got a ps5 its why I am investing in one. I have headphones at 250 ohms and some lower, such as the 560s. I will purchase the Hel then.

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #48,194 of 48,578
If it's headsets, they're usually very efficient. But yeah, you may be maxing out volume on the harder to drive stuff you may have. Your headsets should be fine with Fulla.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #48,195 of 48,578
I'll confirm with you later if Maxwell in PC mode is loud enough on PS5. That should work like Xbox Maxwell (which I don't have on hand).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back