Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 5, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #47,386 of 48,562
Small usb dac/amp dongle (Lotoo paw s1) work fine with ps5. This little dac has got UAC1 mode. So it’s working fine. For anyone who want a small dac to listen music from PC/mobile and playing games on ps5 it’s a good choice.
Mad lust, may be you will review this dac?
If someone is willing to send it to me, I'd be fine with that. Looks nice too. Also like that it has a 4.4m balanced input. I could use my modded PortaPros with that.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #47,387 of 48,562
If someone is willing to send it to me, I'd be fine with that. Looks nice too. Also like that it has a 4.4m balanced input. I could use my modded PortaPros with that.
On head fi this dac has got big topic. Many of users like it more than Mojo and another mid price dacs. Interesting to test it in games and compare with G6

Nov 7, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #47,388 of 48,562
Slightly off topic but what good is a gaming headphone if it's collecting dust and losing structural integrity. Anyone knows of a ready-to-buy solution to neatly line up your high end headphones on your computer desk? I cycle through them every 3 weeks and boxing and unboxing them everytime is impractical.
I need to line them up neatly and keep them protected from dust.

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #47,389 of 48,562
Slightly off topic but what good is a gaming headphone if it's collecting dust and losing structural integrity. Anyone knows of a ready-to-buy solution to neatly line up your high end headphones on your computer desk? I cycle through them every 3 weeks and boxing and unboxing them everytime is impractical.
I need to line them up neatly and keep them protected from dust.
I keep my cans in hard cases when not in use. You could also invest in stands, and cover them in cloth. If you want to keep them seen, then invest in glass domes.

Nov 9, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #47,390 of 48,562
Been out of the loop for a while, thanks MLE for the recent GC7 review and to everyone imparting their findings, advice and knowledge on the thread

For those who have experienced both, Tempest and SXFI, is it worth buying the GC7 for the PS5 for games and films?

For many years I used DH with the astro mixamp for gaming, but have been using Tempest since the PS5 launched for about a year now. Have kept my eye on SXFI but thought I would wait until I build a PC so that I can actually utilise 7.1 VSS opposed to 5.1 on PS5 via optical from the TV.

However, I likely will not build a PC until after Starfield is released, so I am wondering if SXFI is superior enough to Sony's Tempest 3D audio - wrt gaming audio cues (CoD) and immersion for films/TV as I use my PS5 for media, blu ray etc - to justify purchasing the GC7.

Currently using HD800Ss with the SXFI amp dongle on PS5. This leads me to my other question, since the PS5s recent update to allow 3D audio by means other than USB, are we able to pass Tempest 3D audio for headphones via HDMI to TV, optical to high-end dedicated DAC/amp, instead of having to use the G6 as a workaround for USB? I'm already certain the HDMI route will be solely for dedicated speakers and not suitable for headphones, but here's hoping

TLDR:
-worth buying GC7 for SXFI vs Tempest 3D?
-can Tempest 3D headphone be passed via optical from TV to dac/amp instead of having to use G6 via USB?

Thanks again

Nov 9, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #47,391 of 48,562
I personally find Tempest to be one of the weaker virtual surround DSPs, IMHO. But in games that utilize it properly, it's one of the least processed sounding DSPs. It sounds questionable on games that don't natively support it.

Tempest and SXFI are quite the polar opposites, as SXFI is very processed sounding. I think the closest thing to Tempest would be SBX on a very low surround setting.

Tempest works in a pinch if you have nothing else, but I think I'd opt for SXFI, Dolby Headphone, SBX over it, if you have them.

Tempest can't be passed on to anything other than the PS5 controller's headphone jack, and USB dac like the G6, GC7, Fulla 4, Hel 2, etc (anything with UAC1 compatibility). So it can't be sent to a TV via HDMI (which I'd like to see done in a future update)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #47,392 of 48,562
Tempest can't be passed on to anything other than the PS5 controller's headphone jack, and USB dac like the G6, GC7, Fulla 4, Hel 2, etc (anything with UAC1 compatibility). So it can't be sent to a TV via HDMI (which I'd like to see done in a future update)
This should be posted as a FAQ. Can't be explained better than that.

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #47,394 of 48,562
Was asking because of this https://www.whathifi.com/news/ps5-update-adds-3d-audio-through-tv-speakers
Hopefully they allow us to pass the headphone 3D stereo mix in an update at some point
Wow, I hadn't seen that. Wonder if it's still in beta (just checked, it's not). If not, then 3D audio over HDMI should work, then go USB/Optical out from TV to DAC. Or I guess you could plug in the headphones to the TV, but I don't imagine they would have the best DAC/Amp built in.

I will try to test out tonight with my TempoTec E44 and Topping L30/E30 stack. Might try with Mojo if I feel like it.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #47,395 of 48,562
Wow, I hadn't seen that. Wonder if it's still in beta (just checked, it's not). If not, then 3D audio over HDMI should work, then go USB/Optical out from TV to DAC. Or I guess you could plug in the headphones to the TV, but I don't imagine they would have the best DAC/Amp built in.

I will try to test out tonight with my TempoTec E44 and Topping L30/E30 stack. Might try with Mojo if I feel like it.
Oh I didn't realize there was an update that allowed this. THAT BEING SAID, that sounds like it's made for TV speakers, and not exactly passing 3D audio for headphones through HDMI.

Had I been Sony, I would've worded it as 'Pass Tempest 3D Audio Through HDMI' or something similar if that were the case.

I'll have to check this out tomorrow, but doesn't sound like what we want for headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #47,398 of 48,562
The new SXFI Carrier (their SXFI enabled Atmos soundbar) has a USB-out which some reviews say is "SXFI enabled", and it is even labeled on the device as an "SXFI Out" port. But there is no further explanation other than it is designed to be used with their wireless dongle.

creative-sxfi-carrier-sxfi-ports-800.jpg

All the reviews utilize that USB out for the USB Theater wireless headphones....but I wonder if the USB-out actually just feeds SXFI out to anything that takes USB audio?? If so this would be the first thing that has SXFi out of any type. Sadly it is $1000, and as a soundbar it is not exactly easy to just incorporate it into your desktop PC audio setup, so this won't be one of my impulse purchases anytime soon.

It is nonetheless interesting as it claims Atmos capability with SXFI, which would be new (if it was actually virtualizing an Atmos room). It also decodes DD+ from consoles, so since it has HDMI in/out it would actually work perfectly in a living room setup with a console. No need for optical splitters or routing audio through your TV optical out which is needed for the GC7.
https://uk.creative.com/p/speakers/sound-blaster-katana-v2#feature-section-6
Do you reckon this Katana V2 would be similar, in allowing use of of SXFI with our own gear for PC and consoles?
It would be more affordable than the SXFI Carrier if so

Nov 10, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #47,399 of 48,562
Mind if you share a link for "hard cases" and "glass domes" just to get an idea of what you mean? Thank you.
An example of the hard cases is this, which I use for a set of HD-580:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075S1HDJQ

As for glass domes, I was thinking like the ones they use at diners to display desserts. I would get a dome that is at least 11" tall, depending on the height of the stand you use. Also make sure it's wide enough too.

https://smile.amazon.com/Moonlear-Cloche-Tabletop-Display-Coffee/dp/B07HR69XFG

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #47,400 of 48,562
Well...just got in the Epos H6Pro and GSX 300 AMP/DAC.
H6Pro:
2021-11-10.jpg
GSX 300:
2021-11-10 (1).jpg

Really impressed with the build quality here on both units, one interesting note is that the Headphone out/Microphone out is located on the back of the GSX300. Which are first, I thought was odd as I'm use to plugging things in at the front of the device but this allows me to hid the cables and route them underneath my desk. This setup looks extremely clean and the cables provided are long enough!

The H6Pro I received is the 'closed' version and they isolate extremely well! Comfort, fit and weight is extremely satisfying with this headset and feels well built! The cables although perfect in length are of the braided type and seems to have some memory to it, comes bundled up and as you untie them they literally turn in to a slinky! Good luck trying to get these types of cable dead flat and straight as they seem to stay stringy and curl about the place like a fish out of water! Not a deal breaker as the micro-phonics is not noticeable but something Epos could improve on in the future! Earpads are large and comfortable, these are like the hybrid pads with the pleater on the outer and fabric inside, my ears are comfortable inside and have no issues at all! Headband and adjustability is something Epos nailed here, once my head, I never wanted to take them off!

The sound of H6Pro Closed is very pleasant, Epos and Sennheiser collaboration here is evident and they just sound right to an Audiophile/Gamer ears here. It's got punch down low which is detailed and tight but is not pushed forward or overcomes the rest of the frequency range but present enough to give you that warm Sennheiser taste. Midrange is also typical here, clear and present and ever-so-slightly recessed. It doesn't come across too shout nor too distant but just right, sorta like the HD650! I love how the treble is done here on the H6Pro, not sibilant but detailed, airy and forward enough to give you that little extra sparkle on top! All this combined probably makes the H6Pro sound like a fun headphone, which it is....but in games like Apex Legends, CSGO, Battletech, DOTA Underlords....it was all a great experience and with the added bonus of being totally isolated to the rest of the world! Imaging and sound stage is excellent here and for a closed-back it never sounded like one, the H6Pro reminded me very much of a Closed-HD560s but with a warmer and less analytical sound signature. Something I've actually been looking for since I've acquired the HD560s because I'm just so impressed with that headphone! Fairly dark background, not the darkest I've heard but no distortion or cup resonance and the image is of a larger sound scape compared to other closed-back I've heard. The depth is quite good here, things are happening all around your ears and head with Left, Center, Right being very accurate. Tracking sounds and hearing footsteps is no issue here, the detail and balance of the sound signature just provides you with an excellent production of what is going on the game or whatever media you use with this headphone!

The microphone on the H6Pro is up there with a Modmic and in-between a Razer Siren Mini and other various microphones I have. It is highly useable and for most gamers who aren't looking for Podcast style solutions then the microphone on the H6Pro is a one and done solution! You can raise and lower the microphone arm, which mutes and unmutes as you fold it away or bring down to use. You can even take off the microphone all together as Epos used a magnet solution to hold in-place the microphone arm! They even include little disc covers to replace the microphone if you decided that you don't want to use it! Very handy!

Epos GSX 300 AMP/DAC/Software:
The Epos Gaming Suite, is tiny in comparisons to other Bloatware programs out there in the wild, this is a thumbs up! Simple to use and not overly complicated to use, it does what it needs to do fairly efficiently and just gets out of the way!

epos03.jpg
Below, you have control of your microphone capabilities where you can adjust and fine-tune a quite a lot! You can EQ your mic-out to
make your voice sound warmer, clearer, or EQ to whatever you like. You can control the Gain, Side tone (for all those who need to monitor
their mic levels!), Noise Gate and Noise Cancellation. All very easy to adjust and test while you're in the software!
epos02.jpg
Below: You can EQ yourself or use custom presets, I just left mine on Flat as I don't really use EQ! You can change between Stereo or 7.1
Simulated Surround setting and adjust the Reverb! I just prefer Stereo here but YMMV.
epos01.jpg
All in all the software is usable gives you a little tweaking if and when you need it and it doesn't take up silly amounts of virtual HD space
being only 18 megabytes!

Next is the GSX 300: Small petite but firm and well built, slightly heavier than you might think. Reminds me of the Old
Audioengine D1 from back in the day! Volume is soft and clicks as your turn, has a nice feel when you seldom turn it
up or down as I have the volume for the H6Pro set to 50% and is ample for everything I need it to do! The other button
is a select button and you can customize this to do a few things through the software. I just have mine to toggle between
Stereo or 7.1!
EPOS-GSX-300-review-photos-5.jpg
The rear of the unit is tapers down and just has your bare essentials for a gaming DAC/AMP. Headphone-out, Microphone-in and USB micro for power and data.
As I said before, this was odd at first but later worked out extremely well for my setup and just looks really nice once I set it all up! If you like clean setups then
having the cables route out the back of the DAC and around or under your desk looks clean aF.
813jJSPjkSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Performance wise, the GSX 300 is competent and powerful enough with the H6Pro, I haven't tried any other headphones with it yet as I intend to keep this setup straight
forward with the H6Pro/GSX300 combo going forward!

I have no issues with the sound quality this little DAC pumps out and no issues installation or any driver issues, essentially plug and play! I've not heard any pops or clicks or distortion or anything which is a relief to me which further solidify my purchase. It probably sounds better than my Schiit Fulla 2 and on pair with my Creative X3, does it compare to my other standalone DAC's well....does it matter? Not really....it just needs to do the job I want it to do and it does it rather well!

As for value, I picked these units up on the 'used' markets but both units were 'brand new' and the H6Pro wasn't even opened, still with the seal! I'm not sure if I'd personally pay full retail price for a "gaming" headset and DAC but for what it does, it does really well and I'm keeping this combo!

@Mad Lust Envy - Sorry in advanced if it looks like I tried taking over the thread but I personally love and use your thread you've created and just wanted to add to it as it's been a really pleasure read through your thread throughout the years! :kiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back