Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 16, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #47,416 of 48,564
After a long LONG search, I finally bit the bullet and went all out on a pair of LCD-GX's.. I'm in love. Finally i've fell in love with a pair of cans that do everything for me.
I've had literally every gaming headset from Logitech, Steelseries, Razer, Corsair, all of them. Then went from PC38X>K712>Tygr 300r>4XX>Sundara>DT1990>T1>LCD-GX. Cant tell you how happy I am to find the one. Currently pairing them with a Creative X7, thinking of switching over to the Schiit Hel and using a software VSS. I find SBX great with this cans but I feel like there's better out there

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #47,418 of 48,564
After a long LONG search, I finally bit the bullet and went all out on a pair of LCD-GX's.. I'm in love. Finally i've fell in love with a pair of cans that do everything for me.
I've had literally every gaming headset from Logitech, Steelseries, Razer, Corsair, all of them. Then went from PC38X>K712>Tygr 300r>4XX>Sundara>DT1990>T1>LCD-GX. Cant tell you how happy I am to find the one. Currently pairing them with a Creative X7, thinking of switching over to the Schiit Hel and using a software VSS. I find SBX great with this cans but I feel like there's better out there
How would you describe the differences compared to the PC38X?

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #47,420 of 48,564
Just purchased a Z1R for everyday usage and gaming. First impressions are not that great. Thick, congested and some frequencies are boosted enough to drown out quiet footsteps for directional queues.

Going to give it another week. I’ll do a bit of tweaking and adjusting before I make my final decision.

Looks like I might still be on the hunt for a TOTL closed back headphone that’s excels in competitive gaming…

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #47,421 of 48,564
Just purchased a Z1R for everyday usage and gaming. First impressions are not that great. Thick, congested and some frequencies are boosted enough to drown out quiet footsteps for directional queues.

Going to give it another week. I’ll do a bit of tweaking and adjusting before I make my final decision.

Looks like I might still be on the hunt for a TOTL closed back headphone that’s excels in competitive gaming…
I tried my IER Z1R for gaming on the PS5 and wasnt my favorite. The openness sounded great, as did most of the sounds, but I had the same experience as you of not being able to hear footsteps very well. Dunu SA6 are still my go-to.

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #47,423 of 48,564
39rmdwss6ty71.png

https://koss.com/products/kph40-utility

Koss Finally did it.

No longer do you need to source the KSC75 or PortaPro driver and get a Parts Express or Koss Retrospekt headband separately.

Took them THIS long to finally do it themselves.

Granted, they are still using the utterly terrible cable that will absolutely, without question break on you instead of having MMCX connectors, but hey, maybe in 2 more decades Koss will get around to having a detachable cable.

This ain't for me, since I prefer clips, but I know a lot of you would want this. The drivers look detachable like the 75, 35, Porta, Sporta, so I COULD use them with clips if I didn't already have two modded PortaPros.

Ah damn it. I'm gonna get them for my mother. I'll review them too. Once they come back in stock anyways.
These look great. Is the sound meant to be like the brighter KSC75 or Bassier PortaPro?

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #47,424 of 48,564
Judging by how the driver cover looks and the specs, if I were a betting man, I'd say these are just repurposed PortaPro/KSC35 drivers, not the titanium coated KSC75 drivers which are different.

But Koss has never been one to outright say it's the same, and give vague explanations even when asked. "Might be tuned differently" is what I've heard on videos.

The same issue that people have with the 650 and 6XX. One says it's the same, another says it's clearly different.

I should have it soon, but my guess is that if using the same headband or clip, it'll sound too similar to tell.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #47,425 of 48,564
Judging by how the driver cover looks and the specs, if I were a betting man, I'd say these are just repurposed PortaPro/KSC35 drivers, not the titanium coated KSC75 drivers which are different.

But Koss has never been one to outright say it's the same, and give vague explanations even when asked. "Might be tuned differently" is what I've heard on videos.

The same issue that people have with the 650 and 6XX. One says it's the same, another says it's clearly different.

I should have it soon, but my guess is that if using the same headband or clip, it'll sound too similar to tell.
Looking forward to your impressions. I like both but lean towards the KSC75. I love the band on this new model, the express one is functional but looks cheap, hopefully, it's swappable..

Nov 18, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #47,426 of 48,564
Looking forward to your impressions. I like both but lean towards the KSC75. I love the band on this new model, the express one is functional but looks cheap, hopefully, it's swappable..
You could just buy these, or the Retrospekt P/21, and snap on the KSC75 to them. The Retrospekt saves you $10, and you can just toss the crap drivers on them and keep the headband. Or the KPH40, keep the drivers as spares.

That's what did guy did:

Clipboard01.jpg

I don't like what the Yaxi pads do to the sound though.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #47,428 of 48,564

Users who are viewing this thread

Back