Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 10, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #46,456 of 48,563
Tried it out a little bit last night on some music and YouTube videos. Pretty impressed with how this little dongle can drive my HD800 just fine. On YouTube videos with Super X-Fi enabled it sounds a bit reverby to me compared to SBX on my X7, but music doesn't sound bad. I didn't have a chance to try out any games, but will tonight with some Warzone, and see how it compares to SBX.
I double amped with the Koss ESP950 energizer and it was fine. I kept the source windows volume lower just in case but you can double amp it with anything that will play nice with the voltage. However I've not found the dongle really needs it that much; as you pointed out it gets any headphone plenty loud. (I only doubled it with the Koss as that's the only way to use estats).

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #46,457 of 48,563
Ear Pads:

The oval-shaped velour ear pads are fantastic for comfort.
A small correction the oval pads are Hybrid Velurs... Outside velur without stitching and inside artificial leather.

All velur are the aftermarket velurs from Dekoni or Drop pads for example.
Also the gray foam that is used inside the original pads are high penetrated air foam and no memmory foam for that exaxtly reason that u said ... Breathable material.
That's why nothing sounds like the originals because no one makes them the same all these years.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #46,458 of 48,563
Excellent thoughts and thanks for the response! -- yes, now I think I was getting ahead of myself there. The Oppo HA-2 at the very least will be what I listen to the cans at my desktop with. I'm really very keen on getting a living room setup going and seeking a proper solution for headphones there. As you mention it, loss of 4k@60/VRR/etc. are huge losses in my book, because I bought the TV specifically to have those features via the HDMI 2.1 -- I hadn't even considered that the splitter wouldn't support it, so thanks for the info.

New technology; new issues. . . I should mention I'm also willing to consider a separate DAC/Amp for the living room setup. Some have been playing with the G6 Soundblaster. I suppose the best option might be to have one that has an optical input and to use that input on my TV. Unfortunately, I'd have to swap it out every time from the soundbar that currently uses it. I wish I had a bit more knowledge on this, it's holding me back!

I wonder about using the audio out or USB-c directly from the PS5 DualSense to the Audio-in 3.5mm on the HA-2 . . .

Like I said, I have no knowledge on how well (or if) it works, but to me it seems like a toslink splitter would be the better option. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=spdif+splitter&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 I think there is little that can go wrong with a digital toslink output, the technology is quite outdated so I don't think there is a risk you are missing some tech. I would do some research on it but as long as the device doesn't effect your digital signal it should be good.

Only drawback could be that you need to force your TV to output dolby to make something like a G6 work, while you might want DTS or Dolby Atmos for your sound bar (hypothetical scenario but something to keep in mind).

I just figured out my astro Mixamp still works... I thought it wouldn't (I had a gen 1, and this post https://blog.astrogaming.com/2020/09/xbox-series-x-and-playstation-5-compatibility/ states you can't use GEN 1 anymore) so that is great news :)

On the other hand though, I was kind of looking forward to an upgrade LOL. Is the G6 a clear upgrade over the mixamp? Or is it comparable?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #46,459 of 48,563
Like I said, I have no knowledge on how well (or if) it works, but to me it seems like a toslink splitter would be the better option. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=spdif+splitter&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 I think there is little that can go wrong with a digital toslink output, the technology is quite outdated so I don't think there is a risk you are missing some tech. I would do some research on it but as long as the device doesn't effect your digital signal it should be good.

Only drawback could be that you need to force your TV to output dolby to make something like a G6 work, while you might want DTS or Dolby Atmos for your sound bar (hypothetical scenario but something to keep in mind).

I just figured out my astro Mixamp still works... I thought it wouldn't (I had a gen 1, and this post https://blog.astrogaming.com/2020/09/xbox-series-x-and-playstation-5-compatibility/ states you can't use GEN 1 anymore) so that is great news :)

On the other hand though, I was kind of looking forward to an upgrade LOL. Is the G6 a clear upgrade over the mixamp? Or is it comparable?
Glad you've got a Mixamp solution! Some have had success with the G6 Soundblaster; although I have no idea whether it's a clear upgrade from your Mixamp. How has your experience been with the Mixamp?

Although I haven't heard anything regarding the use of a Toslink splitter for this issue, I'm also a bit unclear how I would go about setting it up. It might be an option; you'd need a dac/amp with the requisite port, being optical, yeah?

JDS Labs is definitely offering a "downgraded" firmware on their products, altering them to UAC-1, in order to work with PS5. I've heard of excellent results with the Atom stack and that it works flawlessly with the Tempest Audio from PS5. I've started to consider just going for an Atom stack for my living room setup.

Another option appears to be the Mayflower Ark Mk2 — on their website they claim it works with the PS5 as a driverless DAC. It's more expensive than the JDS Atom stack but at least features a metal chassis. Has anyone given this a try?

I'm somewhat surprised it's not easier to find information from folks who are in this situation. I know that PS5 distribution is slim at the moment and it is early in the market, but I figured that a few more audio-minded folks would have been frontrunners in adapting it.

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #46,460 of 48,563
Is there anyway to have better virtual 7.1 dsp?
Currently using a sound blaster ae5 for 7.1headphone dsp and using toslink optic connecting it to the desktop dac&amp
I do find if you have up sampler such is mscaler it would make digital processed virtual surround sound much better.

What i am looking for is a better 7.1 dsp processor, been consider to upgrade to ae7 or evga nu but can’t really decide yet

Mar 13, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #46,461 of 48,563
Is there anyway to have better virtual 7.1 dsp?
Currently using a sound blaster ae5 for 7.1headphone dsp and using toslink optic connecting it to the desktop dac&amp
I do find if you have up sampler such is mscaler it would make digital processed virtual surround sound much better.

What i am looking for is a better 7.1 dsp processor, been consider to upgrade to ae7 or evga nu but can’t really decide yet
Going from AE5 to AE7 would use the same SBX sound engine. I don't know what EVGA Nu uses.

You can also just replace your VSS with another one, like Dolby Access, DTS:X, Waves NX, or Redscape. Or have all of them. (I do)

Mar 13, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #46,462 of 48,563
Going from AE5 to AE7 would use the same SBX sound engine. I don't know what EVGA Nu uses.

You can also just replace your VSS with another one, like Dolby Access, DTS:X, Waves NX, or Redscape. Or have all of them. (I do)
which vss you think works the best?i have dolby and dts,but they are not as good as sbx vss
Creative claims that ae7 ae9 have quad core processor for dsp processing, just wondering if it would be better than ae5.

The problem with evga nu is that it is a usb sound card in it’s essence, and that creates compatibility issues with software and latency problems.

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #46,463 of 48,563
which vss you think works the best?i have dolby and dts,but they are not as good as sbx vss
Creative claims that ae7 ae9 have quad core processor for dsp processing, just wondering if it would be better than ae5.

The problem with evga nu is that it is a usb sound card in it’s essence, and that creates compatibility issues with software and latency problems.
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/chastitys-review-of-virtual-surround-solutions.436597/

Funny, my big issue with SBX is the mushy rear cues, as they sound too similar to side cues. Dolby and DTS:X at least give me decent rear cues.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #46,464 of 48,563
Do you guys know if one can use the G6 on a PC without installing the software? Just using the side buttons to change between direct mode and SBX? My plan was to use direct mode on non game stuff and then when using it with a game turn on SBX via the side button.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #46,465 of 48,563
How are you going to set the PC to know it's 7.1, or what level of SBX you have, or whether to send SBX through the analog or optical out, or whatver your output is speakers or headphones, or if you're using crystallizer, etc? You need the software to at least set your settings accordingly. And you'll def want to update the drivers and firmware.

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #46,466 of 48,563
Ok thanks for you answer. Is it possbile to set up all the setting on the software and then just using the buttons without having the software running in the background?
By the way, when using SBX in games should I set the ingame sound to 7.1 or stereo ?

Mar 14, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #46,467 of 48,563
Yes once you set everything up you don't need to use the software.

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #46,468 of 48,563
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/chastitys-review-of-virtual-surround-solutions.436597/

Funny, my big issue with SBX is the mushy rear cues, as they sound too similar to side cues. Dolby and DTS:X at least give me decent rear cues.
Thx for such comprehensive guide
I tried mobius once which is very impressive and than i got the wavesnx for pc. And the results are pretty disappointing.
May be the on board dsp of mobius use a different wavesnx processing.
For me sbx provide the most clear signal for upsampler.
Have you tried superxfi from creative? It creates similar results compared to wavesnx but slightly more distorted in the mid bass.

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #46,469 of 48,563
Thx for such comprehensive guide
I tried mobius once which is very impressive and than i got the wavesnx for pc. And the results are pretty disappointing.
May be the on board dsp of mobius use a different wavesnx processing.
For me sbx provide the most clear signal for upsampler.
Have you tried superxfi from creative? It creates similar results compared to wavesnx but slightly more distorted in the mid bass.
I thought Waves NX was kinda meh until I took my head measurements. Once inputted, NX became ghodly.

No interest in using SXFi until they have a solution that outputs digitally, so I can use my own DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back