Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 4, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #46,426 of 48,565
If you want to use SBX for your Surround, then have your console output Dolby Digital (5.1 I assume), and have it output to the G6 via optical. Make sure the Audio Engine is enabled (no Direct Mode) and have Surround enabled, usually at 67% for gaming. No other settings required, but you are welcome to experiment.
Yeah, I understand this, But what I need to select in this menu?
F17B2092-EF53-49EF-979C-DB903E7F05C6.jpg

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #46,427 of 48,565
If you're using sbx, then 7.1...

If not, stereo.

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #46,428 of 48,565
The D7200 doesn't use those biocel Fostex drivers than the Denons, Emu Teak and Fostex X00 variants do. So I don't trust them to sound like the old Denons. Not that they're bad, but I'm looking for a specific sound.

The Teak def has that old house that I remember. There's something special about that old house sound.

As for my Creative software settings, I have everything turned off except surround at 100%. I don't use any of the other stuff. The G6 is set to 7.1. I have the speaker setting set to 'Enable headphone surround through output' or whatever it's called, so I can send the audio though the optical out. Then I send that to the Modius optical in.

When I switch to ps5, I just turn off the SBX button, set the PS5 to send out to the G6, and turn on 3D audio. Granted, this means I gotta swap between usb cables from the pc to the ps5.

Normally, I leave the G6 on the ps5 at all times, and I use Redscape on pc with my Modius through usb/Jot 2.
Does you only use G6 with PS5 by usb connection (to get Tempest 3D audio) or maybe you swap between usb connection and optical connection (to turn on SBX instead of Tempest 3D)? I talk only about ps5

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #46,429 of 48,565
If you're using sbx, then 7.1...

If not, stereo.
7.1? But in PlayStation 5 menu I select 5.1 output (because I read before that don’t need to select 7.1, only 5.1 in ps5 menu audio out)

so for ps5 if I want to play through optical and use sbx I need to:
1) in creative command pc appointment need to select HEADPHONE CONFIGURATION - virtual 7.1 surrond
2) in ps5 menu in audio settings select optical out and set 7.1 audio ??

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #46,430 of 48,565
Updated my setup this week. You can see the Penrose behind the monitor, and the PS5 underneath the desk. It's too big on the top.. 😂

20210303_150036.jpg

20210303_134732.jpg

Does you only use G6 with PS5 by usb connection (to get Tempest 3D audio) or maybe you swap between usb connection and optical connection (to turn on SBX instead of Tempest 3D)? I talk only about ps5
It depends on in how I feel.

So if I'm playing a ps5 game, I'll set the audio device to the G6 through usb, turn off SBX, and turn on 3D audio on the PS5.

If I'm playing a PS4 game or want to play with SBX, I'll switch the ps5 audio to hdmi, making sure its dolby digital. The TV outputs dolby through the optical out, into the G6 optical in.

I don't do the latter much anymore (since I don't really play any ps4 games anymore) but it's an option.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #46,431 of 48,565
Updated my setup this week. You can see the Penrose behind the monitor, and the PS5 underneath the desk. It's too big on the top.. 😂

20210303_150036.jpg

20210303_134732.jpg

It depends on in how I feel.

So if I'm playing a ps5 game, I'll set the audio device to the G6 through usb, turn off SBX, and turn on 3D audio on the PS5.

If I'm playing a PS4 game or want to play with SBX, I'll switch the ps5 audio to hdmi, making sure its dolby digital. The TV outputs dolby through the optical out, into the G6 optical in.

I don't do the latter much anymore (since I don't really play any ps4 games anymore) but it's an option.
Thanks. And in PS5 games it’s no need to use SBX VSS instead of Tempest 3D sound? in new ps5 games tempest 3D sound always better than SBX virtual surround?

And what about games that new, but came to PS4 and ps5 (for example - Cyberpunk)

Sorry for many questions:))

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #46,433 of 48,565
I finally pulled the trigger on ordering some Teaks brand new from Singapore. I used to have a pair of D7000 but I bought them used and they were pretty stretched out. I loved the sound but the fit was never great.
I hope you can second my feeling that they bring out so much of what is good in the D7000.

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #46,434 of 48,565
I hope you can second my feeling that they bring out so much of what is good in the D7000.

I remember talking about these with you about a year ago, I’m glad you took the plunge and grabbed a pair!

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #46,435 of 48,565
Hi
Why we choose in ps5 audio settings for G6 (for optical audio out) bitstream Dolby? Why not pcm?
Pcm is uncompressed audio, right? And if we choose pcm in ps5 menu , ps5 will send not compressed audio by hdmi to TV and then TV through Optical will send it to G6 and then G6 do all job to convert to Dolby digital to allow us use SBX

I am wrong?

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #46,436 of 48,565
Because through the optical, the G6 can only get virtual surround from Dolby Digital. PCM can't be decoded to proper virtual surround on the G6, Mixamp, and other devices that rely on Dolby Digital.

If you're not using SBX surround, PCM is fine.

TVs will only send Dolby digital through their optical out if they were getting Dolby at the source. Again, no Dolby, no proper multi channel SBX surround. If you try and force Dolby from the TV, you'll just be getting done improper, enhanced reverb filled stereo.

The only device I know of that decodes DTS to Dolby Headphone is the JVC/Victor SU-DH1 which I reviewed on my second post on the first page.

There are devices that do surround from PCM, but those are far and few, and the G6 ain't one of them.

PCM =/= Dolby

In short, send Dolby through Bitstream if you want proper virtual surround. Period. That's all you need to know.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #46,437 of 48,565
Ok guys, so this is my short impressions (not a full on, typical review) for the Yaxi pads used on both the PortaPro and KSC75 (both using KSC75 clips, bent inward for max sounds quality as I have taught you guys on the reviews).

KEEP IN MIND: the Yaxi pads were meant for the PortaPro, as in, with the headband. That is NOT how I use my PortaPros, so my impressions do not compare to other's impressions of the Yaxi pads. Ok? Ok.

I don't like the pads on the PortaPro (w/KSC75 clips). It muddies them up, and gets rid of the great balancing.

The KSC75 fares better which gives them a fuller, less flat/unexciting sound.

As far as comfort goes, the material is nice and feels good on the ear, but due to their thickness, they don't fit all too well when using clips. They make the clips pinch the ears more, and if you loosen the clamp, you'll lose sound quality. So I say no go for clip ons. I can wear them for an hour before my ears get real sore. With the stock pads, I can wear them practically all day.

I think they're definitely made with the PortaPro headband in mind. So if you use the PortaPro as they come, and like the SportaPro and the Parts Express headband, the Yaxi pads may be a much better performer.

I went back to the regular pads, and they immediately feel much better with the clips. Since I don't use headbands for these, Yaxi pads don't make sense for ME. For everyone else, I'd say give them a try.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #46,438 of 48,565
Hi! I asked this in Introductions, Help and Recommendations and got suggested to come here. So if you have time to school me a little, I'd be very happy. 0:)

So I recently became something of a low-key hi-fi enthusiast (ie. went from Spotify to Tidal/FLAC and from smartphone to smartphone+USB dongle to Hiby R6 2020). On the PC I've only used keyboard manufacturer headsets for ten years (don't judge).

Having discovered that I've been seriously missing out in audio fidelity in gaming, I'm now on the lookout for a DAC for PC that has to be good both for music and for gaming (meaning mic-in, user friendly + ..surround..?) but I'm really confused about virtual surround sound. Of most of the DACs marketed for gaming, only a few products have digital surround capability onboard. Most, including the coveted Mayflower ARC Mk2 are stereo only. I play a mix of competetive and immersion games and have always used virtual surround via gaming headsets (Logitech G933, before that Logitech G35). Say what you want about the stereo SQ of the Logitech G933 (yep, it's trash) but the onboard virtual surround is really quite good, at least for my needs. But I'm into Hi-Fi enough now that I want PC sound through a proper DAC and at least okay cans.

Which brings me to my conundrum - I have a hard time believing that a stereo signal can be accurate enough for front/rear distinction and precise enough to obsolete well implemented virtual surround. For games like War Thunder, where precise positioning (especially in crowded noisy environments) is key to success, can stereo seriously compete with dedicated virtual 7.1? All these "gaming" marketed DAC's that have no virtual surround DSP, are people just gaming in stereo or is a stereo DAC + software (like this Redscape I just read the review of here) the answer to my query? If so, which DACs and surround sw would you recommend?

I probably could be happy with the EPOS Sennheiser GSX1000 (or maybe SoundBlaster X3 or SoundBlasterX G6) but since I want a single DAC to be the one and only for my PC (for now at least), I'm worried that the GSX1000 is not powerful enough, if I want to add a more sensitive higher-impedance pair of cans into the mix in the future (right now planning on gaming on V-Moda Crossfade M-100 Master + BoomPro). And as for the SoundBlasters, I'm a bit worried that their software suites are crap and that they aren't up to par in musicality/stereo SQ compared to some others. Any other onboard surround emulation capable devices I'm overlooking?

Budget for the DAC (+sw surround solution, if the DAC doesn't have built-in surround) is 100-300$.

Really looking forward to your ideas, experiences and recommendations!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #46,439 of 48,565
Virtual surround is always achieved by software be it software on your PC or software in a chip on the gaming DAC. Hence the "virtual".
The end result is always going to be stereo (with or without virtual surround) since your headphones only have 2 drivers, a left and a right channel driver. (Exluding some gaming headphones with multiple small drivers you don't want to use for music at all and are even not that good for gaming as well.)
Both have very nice VSS solutions.

If we're talking virtual surround there are good hardware and software options like: GSX1000, G6, X7, Redscape, Atmos for Headphones, ...
None of these solutions are going to be brilliant for stereo music though (X7 maybe excluded but other solutions will still be better for music) and the power of the amp part in the hardware solutions isn't optimal (X7 better again).
Some use the G6 just as virtual surround processor feeding it's optical out to a better dac and from there to a better amp.

So you'd be better off with a dac/amp or dac + amp solution since that can give you much better quality for music. One of the many examples would be the Schiit Modius + Magnius at 400 or the Asgard with built in AK Dac at 299. Add to that VSS software which usually isn't that pricey.

BUT ... you want a mic input solution in that as well which drastically limits your choices to gaming dacs like the GSX1000 and G6, X7 or stereo dac amps with a mic-line-in like Schiit Fulla or the Mayflower you mentioned. These last two will be ok for stereo but can't compete with devies in the class of the Jotunheim.
Much depends on the phones you will be using and how much power they need to really deliver, certainly for music.

Another option is an Audeze Mobius which has VSS built in and a mic, has really good drivers for both stereo and VSS and is powered by the built in amp.
You can connect it via USB to your PC or with an aux cable to your amp. Bluetooth is also possible but I fear it might be laggy for games, you'd have to ask someone who has one. I have the similar stereo-only Penrose which I use with a wireless dongle for console, the Mobius has no dongle.

As for mics if you decide to go with an amp/dac that has no mic input, separate options would be a desktop mic like I recently started to use (Razer Seiren Mini with the NVidia Broadcast app) or the wireless Modmics you can attach to your phones. But I'm not really into mics so you probably better of by other peoples advice.

If you really want an all-in-one solution (built-in VSS, mic input, dac, amp) your best bet would be the X7 which is a little over your maximum budget, but so will most separate solutions be.
Something like a GSX1000 has an amp that is really not powerful enough. I owned one.
G6 is in the middle ground, has more power but it's no quality amping compared to an X7 or a separate amp.

Many choices, a lot will depend on how good you want it to sound for music and what phones you will be using. And what mic solution you want to go with.

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #46,440 of 48,565
X7 is indeed a bit over the price range. Plus I don't really like how bulky it is and I probably wouldn't use 90% of its functionality ever. I just need great stereo sound for music and Dolby digital/DTS virtual surround for gaming. There's also the SB AE-9, a more discrete option I guess but also on the expensive side.

Cans I plan to use this with right now are the aforementioned V-Modas but probably add some slightly higher impedance semiopen full size down the line (haven't really decided what yet).

The mic option I'm after is boompro style, mounted to the headphones, I don't want to go down the path of separate desktop mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back